Dallin H. Oaks - Priesthood Session

When we released from a calling we do not step down nor do we step up when receiving a new calling.

The priesthood is the consummate power on this earth.

It was the power that this earth was created.

The priesthood is the power by which we will be resurrected and proceed to eternal life.

Priesthood keys are the authority to priesthood holders to govern and direct His priesthood on this earth.

A person who holds the Priesthood is not able to confer his office unless authorized by someone who holds the keys.

All keys of the priesthood are held by the Lord Jesus Christ.

There are other priesthood keys that have not been given to men here on earth including creation and resurrection.

Relief Society is not just a class for women, but something they belong to. A divinely established appendage to the priesthood.

Women can speak with authority because the Lord has given them the authority.

It is not so much a time to defend human rights but human obligations.

The Lord has directed that only men will be ordained to offices in the Priesthood.

Men are not the priesthood.  Men hold the priesthood with the sacred responsibility to exercise it.

Only to God’s daughters was given the power to have children.

They are not bearers of the priesthood and not responsible to carry out the responsibilities of the priesthood.

Women possess the complement of the priesthood powers.

When we speak of marriage as a partnership let’s think of it as a full partnership.

In the eyes of God women and men are equal with different responsibilities.

Also: not a smackdown, instruction. Elder Oaks addresses the only doctrinally meritorious argument raised by OW--the desire to minister more effectively through the priesthood--by explaining that they already have authority, via the priesthood, to minister in a manner ratified and magnified by the Lord.

Secularist arguments about equal access to authority--and whether exclusion from the pool of people who may wield that authority--are magnificently ignored.

Also: not a smackdown, instruction. Elder Oaks addresses the only doctrinally meritorious argument raised by OW--the desire to minister more effectively through the priesthood--by explaining that they already have authority, via the priesthood, to minister in a manner ratified and magnified by the Lord.

Secularist arguments about equal access to authority--and whether exclusion from the pool of people who may wield that authority constitutes \"inequality\"--are magnificently ignored.

Secularist arguments about equal access to authority--and whether exclusion from the pool of people who may wield that authority constitutes \"inequality\"--are magnificently ignored.

While I actually very much agree with what you're saying here...he seemed to keep it pretty doctrinally pointed...I'm sure it still felt like a smack-down, and quite humiliating to the women who participated in or sympathized with the Ordain Women group today.

Let's please not turn this into another Ordain Women debate.  Let's leave it at the spirit in which it was meant.  And that was a General  Conference talk by one of our General Authorities.

Wonderful talk.  I felt the Spirit.  As Elder Oaks spoke I realized how grateful I am for my role as a woman, for the authority I held as I served as a missionary for the Lord's church, for the authority I had/have as I fulfill my duties and callings within the church.  I'm grateful to assist in the Lord's work, in whatever way He would have me serve.  I want to be a "tool" in His hand to build up His kingdom here upon the earth.  Some day I would like to hear my Savior say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant".  For, aren't we, both men and women, His servants in doing the Lord's work here upon the earth?  And we both have roles and different responsibilities to fulfill, neither gender above the other.

Wonderful talk.  I felt the Spirit.  As Elder Oaks spoke I realized how grateful I am for my role as a woman, for the authority I held as I served as a missionary for the Lord's church, for the authority I had/have as I fulfill my duties and callings within the church.  I'm grateful to assist in the Lord's work, in whatever way He would have me serve.  I want to be a "tool" in His hand to build up His kingdom here upon the earth.  Some day I would like to hear my Savior say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant".  For, aren't we, both men and women, His servants in doing the Lord's work here upon the earth?  And we both have roles and different responsibilities to fulfill, neither gender above the other.

Another way to put it: Are not we all called to stand as witnesses of Christ, to take His name upon us, and to represent him in everything we do?