Noah

mnn727

9 members have voted

1. 1. Noah and the flood

• The flood covered the entire Earth
    • Limited flood
    • total myth
    • other

So you don't think all those myths are based upon some reality?

Well on that note, how do you explain all the religious myths in other cultures talking about sky beings and flying chariots and ships?

Yeah way back, some king could have experienced a large flood that flooded everything he could see, and assumed it was the end of the world (though it wasn't) and other cultures liked that, which is often the case, and took it as their own.

I can and will never believe without evidence (and there is none) that a world wide flood happened and that we (and all the animals) are all the offspring of a handfull of people.

The story always makes me ask questions like;

what about plants?

what about animals that live both on land and in water?

What about animals that eat those animals (killer whales and seels)

How did they all get to where they were going, across the ocean (eg anything here)

You can't site religious myths as science, science requires facts, not just "a diety no one can see or prove exists, caused this to happen and bent the laws of a planet to let it happen"

Like creationism, its not science, and it never will be science.

I believe in a creator, but I don't believe all this "all things are possible through God" stuff people tell me when they have no proof to anything, but the fact one cannot disprove God (one can disprove him as much as one can prove him).

But my beliefs in diety are for another chunk of text entirely.

What is your belief on the Flood?

water covered the earth at one point. quite likely more than once. (considering there is good evidence for the snowball earth model (but that would have been long before noah)

how or in what manner I have yet to know.. I tend to doubt a merely only raising the sea-levels in the noah account, but open to either way.

I've always leaned to a limited flood. I know scholars believe humans have undergone a pretty severe genetic bottleneck somewhere between 60,000 to 70,000 years ago. I know cultures across the world which have had no contact with each other have flood traditions, it's extreme commonality is worthy of note. I understand the hebrew word that was translated into earth could probably have been translated as land.

I don't know how spread out humanity was 60,000 to 70,000 years ago, could a catastrophic flood be the sole reason we were almost wiped out? I don't know. Doesn't that date precede any known civilization? I have heard other hominid species disappear abruptly from the fossil record, does that disappearance happen about the same time as our bottleneck? I don't know.

I feel that a limited flood early in human history nearly wiping us out and that the story was passed on orally so that many cultures retained the story is extremely plausible.

I suspect a limited flood. I don\'t know to what extent the flood covered earth and for how long, but apparently it was significant enough that survivors believed it to cover EVERYTHING, as per certain records of old times. So, no, I don\'t believe the entire planet was covered in water and one arc alone (with x people, animals, plants maybe) replenished the earth to what it is now.