Would you say you're happy?

Awakened

This question is actually much more aimed at LDS folk but anyone, of course, are welcome to reply.

Oh, and I mean TRULY happy, not just somewhat content or something. If you are, tell us why. If you're not, tell what you think the reason for it is.

As for me, no I wouldn't say so. Content for now, sure. I'm always content really, but I know that I could be a lot better, spiritually speaking.

I think it's up and down for me. Sometimes I'm content. Sometimes I'm truly happy. Truly happy almost always comes after spiritual things. I was truly happy after most of the Conference sessions, for example. I'm truly happy leaving the temple. I do wish I could hang onto the truly happy thing more consistently.

Joy to me comes from places most wouldn't imagine, and things people normally figure bring joy brings me nothing.

Spiritual matters, don't bring me joy or sorrow, they just are.

I am not sure, nor will I ever be, if what I believe is true.

My mind drifts like a jellyfish and I know I experience joy, great joy in what I do. I-and not only me, everyone- does not have a cookie cutter mind, what makes you happy, would bring me sorrow and sadness.

I donno how many people are in a Temple at any given time, but I imagine its more then a few, and that can psych me out and I don't do well.

Only way I could handle it is completely zoning out and what use would that be?

I am quite happy and content.  This doesn't mean my life is perfect.  It just means I feel truly blessed by all God has done for me and given me. We aren't rich.  Our home is small.  Our cars are old.  I am frequently sick, thanks to lupus.  But, I have a husband who loves me, wonderful children (two grown, one almost grown) a darling doggy, good friends, peace in our home and most of all the complete assurance of God's love for me as an individual.

I suffer from depression.  In the last two years or so, it's been clinically classified as "major depressive disorder."  I actually found that reading that diagnosis came as a relief, because I had initially (12 years ago?) been diagnosed with "mild depression," but I had been struggling a lot more than "mildly."  I've been taking an anti-depressant that has helped temper my stress and mood swings, but hasn't done much more than that.  In the last two months, I've added a stimulant to help with my ADHD, and in the last month I've noticed a change.  I've shared with more than one person on this board already, but I feel like I've come up for air from being underwater for so long.  At first I was gasping for breath because I needed it to stay alive.  But soon I found myself gulping down breaths just because it felt so good to breath again!  I feel happy!  I can't pinpoint when the change happened, or what specifically may have been a turning point for me, but I feel happy!  It's no longer putting on a good face so people don't know.  It's no longer suffering in silence.  It's no longer commiserating with other friends who are also struggling (though I still do that, but more empathizing than commiserating).  It's no more fooling myself into thinking I'm happy.  It's no more one or two good days a week.

I FEEL HAPPY!!!

I feel it inside, and it's the best thing I have felt in a very, very long time.  I had forgotten what it felt like to be happy.  It feels so good!  I'm happy that I'm able to feel happy again.

And I'm so excited to share it with people!  I feel like I'm in a good position lately to help others who are still under their own waters, because I've seen the surface, and I know it's there.

A small part of me is scared though, worried that this won't last long.  I pray that it will.

I am very happy.

I have two energetic daughters, a spouse that is finding more excitement in the world than ever before.

I have one of the greatest jobs in the world working with highly engaged collaborators with incredible opportunities.

I get to work alongside brilliant and committed scout leaders doing activities I live and watching young men transform into teachers and leaders.

And I am in a calling right now that is allowing me to be myself and have the support and validation from leaders that find value in my unorthodox methods and beliefs (finally).

I'm under an awful lot of stress right now from various sources, but I love where I am in life and the things I am accomplishing. There's very little I would change.

^All that said, I'm so sick of the song "Happy."

That's crazy talk!  It's my ringtone and I'm thinking about asking people to just randomly call me just so I can hear the song more.  I love it--it makes me smile each time I hear it.  I'm so glad to hear an upbeat song with good lyrics be popular on the radio today.  And it's just peppy!

I suffer from depression.  In the last two years or so, it's been clinically classified as "major depressive disorder."  I actually found that reading that diagnosis came as a relief, because I had initially (12 years ago?) been diagnosed with "mild depression," but I had been struggling a lot more than "mildly."  I've been taking an anti-depressant that has helped temper my stress and mood swings, but hasn't done much more than that.  In the last two months, I've added a stimulant to help with my ADHD, and in the last month I've noticed a change.  I've shared with more than one person on this board already, but I feel like I've come up for air from being underwater for so long.  At first I was gasping for breath because I needed it to stay alive.  But soon I found myself gulping down breaths just because it felt so good to breath again!  I feel happy!  I can't pinpoint when the change happened, or what specifically may have been a turning point for me, but I feel happy!  It's no longer putting on a good face so people don't know.  It's no longer suffering in silence.  It's no longer commiserating with other friends who are also struggling (though I still do that, but more empathizing than commiserating).  It's no more fooling myself into thinking I'm happy.  It's no more one or two good days a week.

I FEEL HAPPY!!!

I feel it inside, and it's the best thing I have felt in a very, very long time.  I had forgotten what it felt like to be happy.  It feels so good!  I'm happy that I'm able to feel happy again.

And I'm so excited to share it with people!  I feel like I'm in a good position lately to help others who are still under their own waters, because I've seen the surface, and I know it's there.

A small part of me is scared though, worried that this won't last long.  I pray that it will.

Clap along if you feel that happiness is the truth!  Clap along if you know what happiness is to you!  :clap:  :sing:

I hope it lasts a while too.  But, I'm a realist and I know that life is such that happiness can be fleeting.  So, like we are taught to store food, store feelings, testimony, strength, etc.  I'm convinced that as you strive to live the Gospel to the best of your understanding and ability, that you and your family are blessed.  There might be times that you don't feel it, but they are there.  Have trust in Him that is worthy of your trust.

I think I'm happy. I'm going through some things that are making me anxious, but I think I've got plans A,B,C, & D lined up, the car and the IRS are paid off and I've got food storage, so I think I will be OK if stuff hits the fan.

Strangely, everytime I think there's going to be an issue, it works out. Just little stuff, that added up, have made life a little easier while I'm dealing with the big problem.

I believe that tithing brings blessings, I am blessed to go to the temple, and to receive the Sacrament. I know HF has a plan for me and I am waiting to see what it is - while I help Him out a little by doing what I can on this end. I think I am a better person than I was before becoming a member (and I was darned near perfect then). :D

Knowing Lakumi on this board makes me happy.

So yeah, I think I'm happy.  Talk to me again tomorrow after class.  :)

Yes, I'm happy... happy in all its nuances.

I have struggles but they don't affect my happiness.  I know that my faith is what helps me stay happy.  Without my faith my struggles would get the best of me and did for awhile to the point that I questioned my faith and beliefs.  But I got over it.

When we have faith and act on that faith its really easy to be happy.  Laying my burdens at the feet of my Savior makes life so much easier.

I'm truly happy. Why? Because I told myself I am. ;)

*sigh* If only we really could just tell ourselves so and it would happen, but the human mind is a logical one and will reject such things if they do not have a good reason. I suppose one could beat their mind into submission by continually thinking the idea and saying it like a mantra, but the problems with that are obvious.

And therein lies the pull of Satan, as I said in an earlier thread. He offers immediate pleasure instead of slow but steady improvement and joy through hard work.

Happy as in the emotion? At the moment, absolutely.

Happy as in the overall state of being?

Pshaw.

Nowhere near.

My life is, how shall we put it politely? Completely sideways right now.

In every way you can think of.

If I were to write a list it would start with death, and work it\\\'s way upward to misery & despair with the occasional sprinkling of murderous rage.

Whee.

Could my life be worse?

Yep.

Absolutely.

In fact, I\\\'m sure it will be from time to time.

It\\\'s certainly BEEN worse than it is right now.

It\\\'s also been about a gazillion times better.

Which is where the happy v not happy comes into play.

I had an unfortunate realization this Christmas:

People don\\\'t kill themselves at Christmas because they\\\'re unhappy

They kill themselves because they can still remember what it was like to be happy.

Why am I happy right now?

My kids are safe upstairs tonight.

I\\\'ve eaten today.

I\\\'ve slept within the past 48 hours.

I\\\'m warm, and in a clean dry house.

I\\\'m flexing my brain amongst friends and frenemies and interesting strangers on one of my favorite forums.

No one I love has died recently. (Recently = this month).

The people I love who are in pain have narcotic pain killers.

My standards for happiness right now are very low.

I would loooooooove to be able to raise the bar to include:

- My children are safe, period. (Abusive ex has partial custody).

- Job satisfaction

- Stable Home

- Mental & Emotional fulfillment

But right now, and for the past several years (since my divorce) I\\\'m still just trying to survive.

Basic necessities like food, shelter, security are often up in the air.

So I can (and usually am) happy as in the emotion.

But I haven\'t been happy as in the state of building and achieving in life to my own satisfaction for a very long time, and probably won\'t be for a considerable time to come.

If ever.

Surviving only leaves time for moments of happiness.

Not the overall state of being happy.

Q

Quin, I think it's so important that you voice the things you just did.  

I think it's important to recognize that happiness is a multi-faceted concept that involves both the immediate and the long term.  I think a lot of times it is easy to "choose to be happy" in the short term.  It's a lot harder to simply will that into being in the long term.  Happiness seems to be strongly related to freedom from fear and worry.  Even in this short thread, I've noticed that happiness seems to get along with stress somewhat well, but it suffers in the face of fear and uncertainty.  (and we won't even get into how mental illness wreaks havoc on the concept of happiness)

I think the poem apples gives addresses one aspect of happiness.  If we think chasing after things will bring us happiness, we'll always be chasing.  But if we turn our efforts to eliminating the fear and uncertainty in our lives, happiness will come upon us.  My heart breaks for people like you who don't have the ability to control the level of fear and uncertainty.  But at least it has given me insight into how to help those around me who struggle.  The answer is not to remind them of how good they have it, but to find whatever bit of uncertainty I can remove for them and go ahead and remove it.

*sigh* If only we really could just tell ourselves so and it would happen, but the human mind is a logical one and will reject such things if they do not have a good reason. I suppose one could beat their mind into submission by continually thinking the idea and saying it like a mantra, but the problems with that are obvious.

Not to mention the effects of depression and other mental health conditions.  It's not so simple for all of us to just "choose" to be happy.

This question is actually much more aimed at LDS folk but anyone, of course, are welcome to reply.

Oh, and I mean TRULY happy, not just somewhat content or something. If you are, tell us why. If you're not, tell what you think the reason for it is.

As for me, no I wouldn't say so. Content for now, sure. I'm always content really, but I know that I could be a lot better, spiritually speaking.

Happiness = Reality - Expectations. I try to keep my expectations low. For example, I'm pleased I don't have the Ebola virus right now.

This is going to sound strange to some Spiritually I am doing well, I'm on the right track I love my Heavenly Father and Savior and the Holy Ghost, but I want to  be so much better.  But there's so much I am not happy with...I am not happy that I'm alone to face the rest of my mortality probably alone. I think this is harder as you get older. Ok I'm not totally alone I know the Lord is with me, helping me and carrying me, He's given me great friends  strong spiritual and intelligent woman friends, God knew I would need them .But its just not the same like having your own loving righteous husband and family that I have always wanted.  Actually the righteous family, close family I wanted is what attracted me to the church, plus I couldn't understand why Jewish people didn't believe in Jesus. I feel like a failure having been single now in my 50s, no children so no grand kids that was a righteous desire.  I do believe it will happen in the millenium.  But who wanted to wait that long.  But maybe I got what I wanted cause I rather be single my whole life then to have been married and divorced and raising children on my own. I think that would of been even harder for me.  It hasn't been easy.  I lost my mom when I was 3, my dad when I was 30 and grandparents in between But I know that my Mom died for me, for us because if she didnt I would of been raised different and probably wouldnt be in the church., And that had to happen for me and for them.

But I made a big mistake 5 yrs ago and moved in with my uncle, not to help me but to help him.  I knew it would make my life harder but didnt think it would be this bad.The first wk,2nd wk I knew I should of moved I could of lived with this very nice sister in my ward. My aunt in NY told me to give it time its hard to live with family.  I didnt move cause I knew I would have to ask for help from the church. Shes moved now.  He has taken away my peace and joy. People would say u cant let no one do that but it happens. When he was in the hospital for 3 wks I was sad 4 him cause who wants to be in the hospital??  Not I.  But the truth is I had peace and happiness, he has away of taking it away I know your going to say dont let him.  But he is emotionally abusive and for some reason he cant see it.  He gets me so sad, so mad and upset and he keeps saying he's sorry.  Im to the point that his words are just words and they dont mean anything.  He says hes going to change but maybe he does for a day and then hes back to himself.My uncle in ny from marriage said he's bipolar.  A friend told me if I was married to him would I stay with him?  I said no I would of left.  I know I need to do this, but it isnt easy.

The joy I get is mostly spiritually but when I come home its gone, with the peace.  Its not good some how it needs to get fixed.  I'm debating if I should delete this sad post.

I did delete this post it was making me sad but maybe I needed to write it.. so good or bad its here hopefully it will help someone. I want you to know I don't feel despair = no hope and I have hope, faith, love and charity.

I

Roseslipper, I love you!  Hugs.

In some ways I understand how you feel.  I am happy with the Gospel.  My testimony gives me such strength.  But, some of the circumstances I live under can be so depressing.  Many days, I feel like I am barely making it through.  And I often don't know how I'm going to get through the next little while.  Prayers help me, hymns help me, and the scriptures help me.  I feel like I put up a happy facade for others to see.  I always try to be positive and hide the pain of what's underneath.  My husband knows a little of what's going on, but not the whole.