Power of Everyday Missionaries - thoughts?

dahlia

You may have been, I wasn't. I think you mistook my aside as a comment on the general topic at hand. There is a reason my initial post, in this particular exchange, talked about "in American society" rather than 'in The Power of Everyday Missionaries.'

Sorry! I completely spaced on that...

Passing eggrolls around....

"Be who you are and say what you feel because people who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind"

I say what I say. Those who want to be offended are not my target audience. On the flip side, there are those who don't mind and they want to know more and they are the ones to whom my words were meant to be said. I am who I am and I speak about my life and my experiences just as anyone else does. I don't back down and/or water down my interactions because I'm thinking to myself is it appropriate for me to say this or that at any given moment. I just don't operate that way.

-Finrock

I just had an amazing missionary experience yesterday.

I was in line at the ice cream place and this guy caught me staring at him - I got absent-minded... I was staring at his face trying to figure out who he looks like because he reminds me of some movie but I can't place it.  He was at the ice cream shop having quality time with his 2-year-old.

Anyway, we got our ice-cream and we settled on a table and he got his ice-cream and cannot find a table so he asked if he can sit at ours.  We ended up talking up a storm - the guy is quite amazing.  Anyway, he asked if the kids with me are all mine and I told him no and so he asked my kids how they became friends and my kids piped up we go to church together... and so he asked, what church do you go to?  And I told him we go to the LDS Church and he asked... What ward?  I was surprised!  Not many people know we call our churches wards...

Come to find out he owns this t-shirt company and that he made shirts for our stake youth years ago.  He told us about his church and we ended up talking about how admirable Duck Dynasty family is for standing up for what they believe in, etc. and how it's so awesome that we are so comfortable talking about our own churches...

It was amazing.  Anyway, we parted ways and got into our cars and my son takes a BOM and runs over to his car and hands it to him.  Then he drives off and on the back of his truck is this big sign - "Jesus Saves".

Love that guy! 

And as I drive off it dawned on me... he looks just like Tom Welling in Draft Day (not Smallville)!

Both of us were great Everyday Missionaries for our own religious beliefs at that moment...

Before converting I usually guessed someone was LDS if they ever used the phrases

Heavenly Father or Eagle Scout.

And if they say them both, it was a done deal.

Oh my heck & Shut the front door ran as close seconds.

Q

Before converting I usually guessed someone was LDS if they ever used the phrases

Heavenly Father or Eagle Scout.

And if they say them both, it was a done deal.

Oh my heck & Shut the front door ran as close seconds.

Q

Holy Ghost and Free Agency too...

Both of us were great Everyday Missionaries for our own religious beliefs at that moment...

I love these kinds of moments.  I love shared faith across demoninations.  My neighbor across the street is one of my best friends.  She's not LDS, but is familiar with the Church.  A few of our other neighbors are in my ward, and this friend grew up with an LDS best friend.  I use LDS terminology around her, because she is relatively familiar with it, and I know that she knows that I'm not trying to push it on her.  We have spiritual conversations frequently.  She and her family came to Sacrament meeting last year to see my daughter in the Primary Program.  My daughter has attended Vacation Bible School at her church.  I really enjoy this aspect of our relationship, because I feel strengthened by her faith.  And I feel strengthened by my ability to share mine with her, without fear of judgement or loss.  It's also a good reminder to me that while I may believe that the LDS Church is the "only true church," it's not the only church with truth, faith, or good people.  Growing up in the Church, it can sometimes be easy to forget that.

Read the thread and that was certainly engaging discussion. Gave me a lot to consider and think about, but at the end of the day, I concur with Wingnut and Dravin in that context is of the utmost importance. You can have all the truth in the world but without the right approach to fit the audience, you're likely to do the opposite of what your intentions are.