Advice on Addiction Recovery Calling

Sali

There has already been a lot of great information given here. I add only a couple of additional comments.

Read through the instructional materials and follow their outlines precisely. It may seem awkward, at first, to read the welcome and instructions verbatim, but the consistency is important.

If you are curious about exactly how the meetings work, The Mormon Channel has audio recordings of actual meetings. (http://www.mormonchannel.org/addiction-recovery-program) and there are live meetings you can attend over the phone.

Lastly, I understand the thought about dressing down to avoid setting yourself on a pedestal, but It's also important for attendees to know who is hosting the meeting. In the "missionary" run meetings, the group leaders and the facilitators wear Sunday dress. The issue with being too "Molly Mormon" is in the way you interact with others. Never indulge judgmental thoughts. As you go through the steps, and you should go through them yourself, you will find that they are helpful for anyone and you will gain an appreciation for what the addicts experience. Also, you need to have an addict who has been successful in their recovery acting in the role of Facilitator. They are the one who brings legitimacy to the meeting, not you. 

Just A Guy

<...snip...>

The ARP and AA meetings are drastically different. The ARP meetings do not promote sponsorship, true surrender, and simply reading from the AA approved literature.

<...snip...>

Sponsorship is a huge part of recovery. You choose a sponsor that has worked the steps all the way through as is willing to take you through them. The steps should not be worked by yourself.

<...snip...>

As I understand it, the ARP has struggled with the role of a sponsor over the years. They currently recommend it and have a sheet, distributed through the service missionaries, to help guide the addict in choosing a sponsor. I presume the crux of the issue is that the church wants to make sure your bishop is involved in the process and you don't presume that your sponsor is a better counselor just because they've been through it.

Another important thing is to realize that the ARP manual was vetted and approved by The Brethern. Since Step 3 is about completely surrendering to God, it would make sense to follow the text approved by His prophet, rather than the AA version which, even though I believe it was inspired, is missing the whole truth, so to speak. That said, it is more important to be sober than it is how you maintain sobriety.

Be sure the bishops in your stake know that you're there, challenge each of them to attend a meeting...

In our stake, Bishops and Stake Presidents are expressly forbidden from attending addiction recovery meetings.  They aren't even allowed to be in the same area of the building when the meetings are being held.  I thought it was church policy but I could be wrong.

In our stake, Bishops and Stake Presidents are expressly forbidden from attending addiction recovery meetings.  They aren't even allowed to be in the same area of the building when the meetings are being held.  I thought it was church policy but I could be wrong.

I can see the wisdom in that policy, but I don't think it's church-wide. We've had bishops at ours, and I think Slamjet's blog (reconverted.org) mentions having had bishops in his group (with one week's notice to the group members).

The Utah County North Mission holds a special class for priesthood leaders each week to introduce them to how it all works, without interjecting them into a regular meeting. I've had a couple of men from a High Priest's Group Leadership attend one meeting for a similar reason. No one said anything to them, that I am aware of.

Keep in mind, however, there are some bishops, and stake presidents, that attend as participants. It's not like this problem affects only the weak.

I can see the wisdom in that policy, but I don't think it's church-wide. We've had bishops at ours, and I think Slamjet's blog (reconverted.org) mentions having had bishops in his group (with one week's notice to the group members).

We've had a Bishop and a High Counselman visit out meeting.  We invite them so that they can experience the meeting first hand so they won't be reluctant to suggest the meetings to members (or whomever).  The couple of leaders that have visited us have pretty much left the meetings speechless from the strength of the spirit and the depth of discussion. 

We do require them to give at least one week notice so we can let the members know.  I'm also at the front door until the meeting starts to give the participants a heads up.  I've had one turn around to go home but I spoke with him in the parking lot to make sure he's doing ok.  If not, I would have talked to him separately.

The Utah County North Mission holds a special class for priesthood leaders each week to introduce them to how it all works, without interjecting them into a regular meeting. I've had a couple of men from a High Priest's Group Leadership attend one meeting for a similar reason. No one said anything to them, that I am aware of.

I really would like more info on how your stake goes about this.  It sounds like something I'd suggest to my stake pres.