Ever been to Wyoming or Canada, eh?

Bini

My husband woke up this morning and said, "I got vacation time that needs to be used. Want to go to Wyoming or Canada?" My reaction - HECK YES - I'd love to take a trip! So it's been a long while since I've been to either place, but today, I'm going to Google what's out in those regions for fun things to do as a family. We'll have 4 days (including travel) to sightsee and explore either Wyoming or Canada with a toddler in tow! We plan to take-off a month from now.

So, any recommendations? I'd like to do a B&B type thing, and then be able to drive within reasonable distance to historic sights, etc. Something along those lines would be great. My DH is wanting to do more active stuff like rock climbing but I think he's gonna lose out because (i) we have our daughter and (ii) that isn't sounding very exciting to me. But if there's an outdoorsy activity that is family friendly, I'm all ears for that.

Anatess, mainly because we're limited on time. Wyoming isn't far from us (we've done the other neighbouring states on a frequent basis) and Canada is the closes country to us (don't want to do Mexico).

4 days doesn't seem long enough to see Canada.  Considering 2 of those days at a minimum would be spent driving to and from.

it took me a day to drive on a train from Montreal to Moncton, it would take a week at least to get from Vancouver to Toronto, probably more.

Sounds like we might be a bit naïve to think Canada is a worthwhile option in a span of 4 days.

A lot of people underestimate its sheer size-I've seen many places of my beloved land, but still haven't seen much.

With Canada, you kind of have to pick a place and stay around it, because travel is long and boring (with such a low population things are far apart, when you drive here, its KMs of nothing)

I spent four and a half months in Star Valley Wyoming on my mission, and I live in Canada  :)

I would agree that unless the road-trip appeals to you that you'll have more enjoyment sticking to Wyoming with only four days. I live very close to the U.S border just North of Montana and it is a 12 hour drive to Salt Lake City... most people I know like to break that up and stay somewhere in Idaho overnight as well. In this way you could spend all four days travelling to and from Canada coming from Utah.

If you do have any questions about places in Southern Alberta, I'll be glad to share my thoughts. 

Waterton Lakes National Park is pretty in about a month, but better later in the year around july or August. Banff and Jasper are generally thought to be best in the winter months when skiing can be taken in.

As small as Wyoming is compared to Canada, it is still a fairly large state. Where in Wy would you go? Yellowstone/Teton/Jackson area? Devil\'s Tower/Black Hills? Oregon/Mormon Trail sites (Fort Casper, Martin\'s Cove, South Pass, Ft Bridger)?

If you decide to emphasize history, you might try staying in Casper and exploring the Oregon/Mormon trail in Eastern Wyoming. Several sites to see, and maybe even some \"toddler friendly\" rock climbing at Independence Rock.

Wyoming!

There was a buffalo (bison) ranch outside of Cheyenne that I stumbled on the last time I was there with zeh kids that was super fun (also great steaks... Trying to remember if you're vegetarian and failing miserably).

Yellowstone

CFD Rodeo (mmmm...that's in a couple months. July awesomeness)

Rafting (Jackson Hole is one of my fam favs. http://www.jacksonholenet.com/summer_recreation/whitewater_rafting.php Both for scenic -little kid friendly- and whitewater. But there are loads of other places for rafting).

Charlie Russell in mid may! http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11572155.htm

Not to mention tons of other museums

But I'm totally in wuv with Charlie Russel

Oregon Trail &

Train (if you can wait until July for CFD, Union Pacific Steam - never retired, like one of only two or three working steam locomotives in the country) has excursions.

Canada it all depends on where.

There's still some great skiing/snowboarding to be had in May ... But that would be fly in & out.

As far as cities go... There's just not a lot of difference between anything in CA & the big cities Northern US (Seattle, Chicago, Boston, NYC). EXCEPT in Quebec. Montreal is pure awesomeness. But there are still great travel deals, and lots of things to do. I would still look into flying in & out, though, as the airfare specials would make it cheaper than driving. I've driven from Victoria/Vancouver across the TransCanada Hwy & I-90 "loop" (dropping into Chicago), and driven straight across to Niagra and dropped down into the US in less than a week... and both are just wicked long drives. Check out www.travelzoo.com for travel specials to Canada to minimize travel expense. LOVE that site. $250 RT plus 3 days hotel in London from NYC (&Jet blue had a $50 any city in the US to NYC special at the same time), $50 RT San Diego to Seattle, $180 to Montreal... I've used travelzoo dozens and dozens of times for work & play. It's really hit or miss, but when you hit, it's killer.

Q

My husband woke up this morning and said, "I got vacation time that needs to be used. Want to go to Wyoming or Canada?" My reaction - HECK YES - I'd love to take a trip! So it's been a long while since I've been to either place, but today, I'm going to Google what's out in those regions for fun things to do as a family. We'll have 4 days (including travel) to sightsee and explore either Wyoming or Canada with a toddler in tow! We plan to take-off a month from now.

So, any recommendations? I'd like to do a B&B type thing, and then be able to drive within reasonable distance to historic sights, etc. Something along those lines would be great. My DH is wanting to do more active stuff like rock climbing but I think he's gonna lose out because (i) we have our daughter and (ii) that isn't sounding very exciting to me. But if there's an outdoorsy activity that is family friendly, I'm all ears for that.

Why not try Banff? Very beautiful with wild life. Stay there 4 the full 4 days. Be careful about early morning walks in the woods - there are bears. I spent 4 days in Banff while attending a conference. Each day I took a short cut through the woods to the conference center. On the last day I took the conference bus and talked to the bus driver who told me off for walking on previous days because of, you know, bears!

Why not try Banff? Very beautiful with wild life. Stay there 4 the full 4 days. Be careful about early morning walks in the woods - there are bears. I spent 4 days in Banff while attending a conference. Each day I took a short cut through the woods to the conference center. On the last day I took the conference bus and talked to the bus driver who told me off for walking on previous days because of, you know, bears!

Again the problem with going to Canada is that it would take a day or more to drive there and then a day or more to drive back from where she lives.  So at the very most she'd have 2 days there.

Guest Wordnerd1

Hi its me, Wordnerd, lost my password to my old account :confused:

Lots of members who live in Calgary drive to SLC, sometimes taking two days, but if you have two drivers lots of people drive straight through. If you are thinking of a road trip it is very doable you can make a stop or two in Montana to see sights there and right on the border in Milk River is Writing on Stone Provincial Park (Petroglyphs). Lethbridge has a beautiful Japanese garden worth a visit and I would highly recomend Waterton National Park on the the Canadian side but June might be your best bet for weather balanced with fewer people (July and August are nuts). Definately check out Cardston, its small but the temple is very unique and beautiful, the visitor centre can give you the lowdown on the history. Heading north there is a small replica of a North West Mounted Police fort in Fort Macleod, its only a couple hour visit and further north is Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump which is a world heritage site, plan on several hours to see it. There are all kinds of Mormon trail history sites throughout southern alberta, they tend to be just markers, but worth it if you are a history buff. Also check out the Cowboy Trail heading north towards Calgary, it tends to have attractions and B&B's since that sounds like the type of trip you are looking for. Calgary has all kinds of things to see and do, the Calgary tower, Zoo, science centre (Telus Spark is the name of it), Heritage Park and Canada Olympic Park has ziplining and bobsled rides as well as mountain biking in the summer. You can also head west to Banff from Calgary to see the mountains and the town of Banff which is very picturesque. There is all kinds of long and short hikes around Banff and a hot springs to relax in. I think a week and a half is definately a doable road trip. Check out http://travelalberta.com/ for more ideas.