Who's my neighbor?

carloswm

Neighbor = everyone we meet.  Everyone.  From the guy who pulled your pigtails in kindergarten to the cottonball-hair grammy driving 35mph on a 65mph highway infront of you...

TFP, it could include our kin but I don't view my family as neighbours. I view neighbours as those I have either little or no connection to - which is - the outside world from my family ties.

Eta, so it's a good reminder for me, to love my neighbours as myself, and my own family.

TFP, it could include our kin but I don't view my family as neighbours. I view neighbours as those I have either little or no connection to - which is - the outside world from my family ties.

Eta, so it's a good reminder for me, to love my neighbours as myself, and my own family.

There are those who do not naturally love their own family though. I would think that in the scope of "love thy neighbor as thyself" that the most important "neighbor" that we work with on this life is our own families.

But I do find it interesting that you view it differently, and I don't think that is wrong. We all approach things in ways that work for us.

Well yeh, I'm talking about myself. Perhaps that wasn't clearly written enough.

As far as the commandment goes, to love thy neighbor as thyself... Neighbor in that usage is every single person that ever lived - from Adam to the Second Coming (or whoever is going to be the last person born in this Plan of Salvation).

This is why it is important not only to love our spouses and children or our family, but also people we don't know... and even those who have died... that we may serve all mankind in the gaining of all of our salvation.  This is the principle that missionary work is built upon, this is the principle that Temple Work is built upon, this is the principle that marriage is built upon, this is the principle that Sacrament is built upon, each of our Church callings, VT/HT, etc. etc. etc...

And that is why Jesus Christ says there are only TWO commandments - Love God, Love Thy Neighbor.  All other commandments, principles, and ordinances are built upon these two.