Good Books

anniem

I am having a non fiction kick right now - if I read fiction it tends to be of blood, gore and murder types lol:

My favourite fiction is Cadfael by Ellis Peters- its nice and easy but interesting about 11th/12th Century Monk that solves crimes

Non Fiction right now I am reading

Continuum Concept by Jean Liedoff she travelled to South America and it is about using the wisdom she learned there to improve life in Western Societies.

How to Take a Japanese Bath

Secrets of my Mothers Japanese Kitchen - Naomi something

Earthbag Building (type CalEarth into google) I love enviromentally friendly buildings

I am also waiting for Little Buddhas to arrive a book about teaching children meditation and a whole pile of quilting books

Charley

I enjoy all sorts of books, so if you ever run out of ideas, get to me! lol I have a long list which includes timeless classics like peter pan, little women, sherlock holmes, the count of monte cristo, etc *half of which I actually still have to read... :blush: but then there's some like Lord of the rings and this book called quest and the good guy which're pretty awesome *once again some I can only just assume. Then there's some books from the church that are fictions like the work and the glory and some that're great talks that have been written out and stuff... the last name Lund... I can't remember the first name though... rings a bell of being great and John Bytheway is fun too. As I said before, if you get bored... let me know :P

Guest Yediyd

CAT in the Hat?

LOL...

In all sincerity. I highly recomend the AD Chronicals by Bodie and Brock Theone. They have written other series that tie in to the AD Chronicals...and I have them all, I LOVE those authors! Also, I like Frank Perretti for Christion fiction. His book: This Present Darkness... about the battle between angels and demons was a page turner!!!!!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm always juggling about a dozen books at one time. I'm up to about 2 dozen now. Here are some of my current favorites:

• The Mind and the Brain
  • Authentic Happiness
  • Learned Optimism
  • David O. McKay and the Rise of Mormonism
  • Eternal Values and Personal Growth
  • Remembering Joseph
  • Hugh Nibley: a Consecrated Life
  • A New Witness for Christ in America
  • Abraham in Egypt
When I'm in the mood for some light fiction, I usually pick up an Agatha Christie.

For a more complete listing of what else I am reading, go to

Mormon Aspie.

Democracy in America - Alexis de Tocqueville

Approaching Zion - Hugh Nibley

A marvelous Work and A Wonder - LeGrand Richards

The Life of Christ - Canon Farrar

The Stock Market Barometer - William Peter Hamilton

Wall Street: A History - Charles R. Geisst

Der Judenstaat (The Jewish State) - Theodor Herzl

-a-train

PS: Be kind and support local bookstores and your library, do not shop at those major chains.

Guest The Squire

read the riftwar saga, I think it was made by like Raymond E. Fiest or something...it is a very good series and he has made many others around the same characters or later generations...you really should atleast read the back or whatever. it's worth looking for but if you're not a huge medieval fantasy fanatic you might not like it as much as me and my dad are addicted to it!

While I read everything:

I currently recommend Robin Hobb in the fiction department: Liveship Traders etc...about 12 books in the series. Brilliant writer.

Everynow and then I download a recommended reading list from wherever,Google top fifty or top hundred books, for when I get the time to do some serious reading.

Three books I highly recommend (I've read a few thousand):

Richard Dawkins, Climbing Mount Improbable.

Damian Thompson, The End of Time: Faith and Fear in the Shadow of the Millennium.

Armand Mauss, The Angel and the Beehive: The Mormon Struggle with Assimilation.

Dawkins is at his scientific best here, no lectures about the evils of religion, just plain science in its quest for understanding. Thompson reminds us all that "second-coming speculation" has been around for over a millennium, and the disappointments have been quite spectacular. Mauss is a believing LDS historian who will make you think, and even reconsider your views about some aspects of Mormonism. His other very laudable work with co-author Lester Bush is Neither White Nor Black: Mormon Scholars Confront the Race Issue in a Universal Church, which is now online: Civil Turmoil -- Mormon Scholars Confront the Race Issue

After you read this your understanding of the historical development of the "black ban" may never be the same, and you'll understand why it was only a policy.

read the riftwar saga, I think it was made by like Raymond E. Fiest or something...it is a very good series and he has made many others around the same characters or later generations...you really should atleast read the back or whatever. it's worth looking for but if you're not a huge medieval fantasy fanatic you might not like it as much as me and my dad are addicted to it!

OH!I love Raymond he's a great writer!We read his series Magician...he's got rather a lot of books though lol.

Guest The Squire

That book is in the riftwar saga, the guy also made some other books that are in different series, but take place basicly at different times in the few worlds it is about. like eventually goes into the next generation or something I think, my dad has a ton of books about him, but I'm not sure what one if the next book in the series...I will have to ask him when I see him this weekend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite book is "Letters from a Nut" by Ted L. Nancy (who is probably really Jerry Seinfeld). It's a book of joke letters and the responses he receives. :lol: Some examples:

1. He writes to Nordstrom saying he wants to purchase a male mannequin that looks exactly like his deceased neighbor. He thinks his family would be very touched to have it.

2. He write to a stadium seating company asking what the best way is to exit your seat without showing your bum to strangers and offers a suggestion to avoid this dilemma.

3. He writes to Hanes because he has invented the 6 day underwear

4. He writes to a cruise ship saying he doesn't want to disturb anyone, but he has a form of Tourette's that causes him to yell out men's names at random. MARK!!!! He tries really hard not to do that. STEVE!!!!

5. He writes to a physics guy asking why he can bench press 250 pounds but can't fly by lifting his chair while sitting in it.

It's not for everyone, but it cracks me up! :D