I have a sheepish admission here about the Church's Easter video...

carlimac

I didn't like it. (Hiding in shame.)   I didn't like the music. When I was watching it the first time I thought they were showing an ad before the real thing started. I thought the whole thing moved too fast without time to let the whole message sink in as I watched it. It felt too much like the chaos I feel in the media in general rather than a respite from that pace where I could think about the Savior.

Many people latched onto it and posted something about it on facebook everyday for a week before Easter. I actually got a little sick of it.

I'm sorry. It just didn't work for me. What did work was preparing a lesson for my 9 yr old Primary kids and studying the scriptures. I also watched some of the Bible videos and they were pretty good.

I hope the Church's media dept. isn't just trying to keep up with the way the world is advertising it's stuff because that doesn't set the Church apart from the world enough. The Church doesn't need to be hip.

I donno there was space travel and planes and prostetic legs... honestly that first chunk reminded me of the opening to Star Trek Enterprise, it was really strange. It really didn't need to be there and felt completely out of place.
Then the footage of Jesus, that's Christian Bale isn't it?! That took me right out of it because he's Batman and I can't exactly take him seriously anymore.
But that part at least fit and made sense to the idea of the video and I did like that part for what it was.

Would have added different music because this one reminded me of a car commercial, something more... I donno maybe middle eastern sounding? Might have fit more? I donno the sound is less important

I didn't like it. (Hiding in shame.)   I didn't like the music. When I was watching it the first time I thought they were showing an ad before the real thing started. I thought the whole thing moved too fast without time to let the whole message sink in as I watched it. It felt too much like the chaos I feel in the media in general rather than a respite from that pace where I could think about the Savior.

Many people latched onto it and posted something about it on facebook everyday for a week before Easter. I actually got a little sick of it.

I'm sorry. It just didn't work for me. What did work was preparing a lesson for my 9 yr old Primary kids and studying the scriptures. I also watched some of the Bible videos and they were pretty good.

I hope the Church's media dept. isn't just trying to keep up with the way the world is advertising it's stuff because that doesn't set the Church apart from the world enough. The Church doesn't need to be hip.

I donno, you've seen my generation, things gotta be all sorts of crazy and fast to even hold our attention.

The church's advertising campaign has taken some interesting twists and turns over the last few years. I was expecting an ipad to pop up after watching the Easter video. The music, editing etc reminded me of an apple commercial. Yet it's had a lot of hits on the internet over 5million.

The I'm a mormon campaign was an interesting one, rock climbers, professional sportsmen, people with interesting careers and families with one or two kids. I would have liked to have seen one with a mother unloading her 7 kids into the church car park, doing up Johnny's shoes, wiping Kelly's nose, hustling everyone along, looking a little frazzled and tired but still smiling. That's what I see most Sundays. I'm a mom of 7, I do my best, life isn't perfect, no it don't fly around in helicopters and yes, I'm a Mormon.

The church's advertising campaign has taken some interesting twists and turns over the last few years. I was expecting an ipad to pop up after watching the Easter video. The music, editing etc reminded me of an apple commercial. Yet it's had a lot of hits on the internet over 5million.

The I'm a mormon campaign was an interesting one, rock climbers, professional sportsmen, people with interesting careers and families with one or two kids. I would have liked to have seen one with a mother unloading her 7 kids into the church car park, doing up Johnny's shoes, wiping Kelly's nose, hustling everyone along, looking a little frazzled and tired but still smiling. That's what I see most Sundays. I'm a mom of 7, I do my best, life isn't perfect, no it don't fly around in helicopters and yes, I'm a Mormon.

This ties into the discussion on Mormon's being normal or not. I understand the point of the I'm a Mormon campaign, and the objective is not to show what an average Mormon is like. The objective is to intrigue people about the church. Using interesting people to that end does make sense. Undoubtedly, those ads do not show what an average, everyday Mormon is. Most of us are not rock stars, basketball greats, CEOs, etc. But the world looks to these sorts of things as desirable, and hence the approach. The "I'm the most average person in the word...and I'm a Mormon" approach is interesting though. Might turn some away from it, might turn some towards it.

Mom of 7???    You just became one of my favorite superheroes!!!

Mom of 7???    You just became one of my favorite superheroes!!!

Except that he isn't a mom of 7.  He was just using that as an example.  :)

But which end?

I donno, this life would certainly be far worse then it already is. I kind of want to make things better for me, not worse. I didn't claw my way out of my horrid adolensance just to plunge right back into utter depression.

Next life? Well I have no idea what will exist for me then, so won't speculate.

I know I couldn't handle it, I know I am not mentally stable enough to have the whole marriage, family thing, marriage itself is something I dislike the idea of.

Good on those who can, good on my parents for having children, they just sired a nut lol

I donno, this life would certainly be far worse then it already is. I kind of want to make things better for me, not worse. I didn't claw my way out of my horrid adolensance just to plunge right back into utter depression.

Next life? Well I have no idea what will exist for me then, so won't speculate.

I know I couldn't handle it, I know I am not mentally stable enough to have the whole marriage, family thing, marriage itself is something I dislike the idea of.

Good on those who can, good on my parents for having children, they just sired a nut lol

Shakespeare once wrote - Nothing is as good or as bad as it seems, only that thinking makes it so.

Shakespeare once wrote - Nothing is as good or as bad as it seems, only that thinking makes it so.

if he's so smart, how come he's dead?!

(to quote Homer Simpson)

But seriously, I can pretty much only look after myself and that's it, I write notes to myself to remember everything-I don't trust myself owning a mouse letalone having a child.

Some people just aren't fit to be parents, and I reconize that. I couldn't maintain a healthy marriage and raise a child/children, have a job and not go off the deep end.

Just watched it. I did not care for the music. I mean, it was fine...just wrong for the content. When the snare kicked in toward the end it was highly distracting. I think the music hurt it. Different music could have set a very different mood. I've noticed that the church has started using very different styles of music in their videos. In most cases I think it has been successful and worked. In this case...not so much.

The video is better PR than proselytizing.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The former, ideally, gives us opportunities to do the latter.

It's gotta get with these net times, my generation can't seem to live without it, so you know they all have it.

Most everyone has a facebook page (well my doll does for me, not the sort of place I'd friend a missionary but still)

Who knows how many online missionaries there'll be in 10 years?

Just watched it. I did not care for the music. I mean, it was fine...just wrong for the content. When the snare kicked in toward the end it was highly distracting. I think the music hurt it. Different music could have set a very different mood. I've noticed that the church has started using very different styles of music in their videos. In most cases I think it has been successful and worked. In this case...not so much.

Wow, this is so strange. I had to go watch it again to pay more attention to the music and everything else and the more I watch it the more I like it - music and all. For me, I like how they show the people in the present from all over the world, the amazing accomplishments that mankind has done and meld all that with Jesus from the past and how what he did 2000 years ago is the greatest accomplishment from God for all humankind. No matter who you are, from any where in the world "Because of Him" you have everlasting life.

This may sound odd but, I think I like it because it doesn't have that Mormon feel to it. Could that be why other posters don't like it; because it doesn't have the typical Mormon feel to it?

M.