Has anyone seen this blog and if so...

carlimac

what did you think about the notion of being LDS and still being "normal" in the world's eyes?

www.normans.com

Sorry if this has been discussed here before. I haven't ever seen the blog till today when it was featured on desnews. Apparently it has been around awhile.

um... I don't think I am the fine dining sort, I mean are dolls really appropriate for that sort of establishment?

Yeah, the link doesn't go to a blog. But as to the question -- if the world sees and LDS person as entirely normal then it's probably an indication that there's something amiss with said LDS person, IMO.

I agree, the Lord's people are a peculiar people

There is something funky going on here. The link I provided is what shows up on the desnews article and it takes me to the blog when I click on it. But when I type it in independently it takes me to a restaurant.   Also, I tried to copy and paste but this forum won't take the paste.  Why's that?

The website has a circled W in front of it that won't copy. Is that the problem?

There is something funky going on here. The link I provided is what shows up on the desnews article and it takes me to the blog when I click on it. But when I type it in independently it takes me to a restaurant.   Also, I tried to copy and paste but this forum won't take the paste.  Why's that?

The website has a circled W in front of it that won't copy. Is that the problem?

Try right clicking the link and clicking copy link address, verbage may vary browser to browser, or just link the article maybe

Posted · Hidden by pam, April 24, 2014 - Doesn't have anything to do with Mormons being normal
Hidden by pam, April 24, 2014 - Doesn't have anything to do with Mormons being normal

They would come now by thousands and thousands, if the Latter day Saints were only popular. “What, these honorable men?” Yes, they would say, “I want to be baptized. I admire your industry, and your skill in governing. You have a system of governing that is not to be found anywhere else. You know how to govern cities, territories, or the world, and I would like to join you.” But take care if you join this people without the love of God in your soul it will do you no good. If they were to do this, they would bring in their sophistry, and introduce that which would poison the innocent and honest and lead them astray. I look at this, and I am satisfied that it will not do for the Lord to make this people popular. Why? Because all hell would want to be in the Church. The people must be kept where the finger of scorn can be pointed at them. Although it is admitted that we are honest, industrious, truthful, virtuous, self denying, and, as a community, possess every moral excellence, yet we must be looked upon as ignorant and unworthy, and as the offscouring of society, and be hated by the world. What is the reason of this? Christ and Baal can not become friends. When I see this people grow and spread and prosper, I feel that there is more danger than when they are in poverty. Being driven from city to city or into the mountains is nothing compared to the danger of our becoming rich and being hailed by outsiders as a first class community. I am afraid of only one thing. What is that? That we will not live our religion, and that we will partially slide a little from the path of rectitude, and go part of the way to meet our friends. (JD 12:272.)
When “Mormonism” finds favor with the wicked in this land, it will have gone into the shade; but until the power of the Priesthood is gone, “Mormonism” will never become popular with the wicked. (JD 4:38)
There is nothing that would so soon weaken my hope and discourage me as to see this people in full fellowship with the world, and receive no more persecution from them because they are one with them. In such an event, we might bid farewell to the Holy Priesthood with all its blessings, privileges and aids to exaltations, principalities and powers in the eternities of the Gods. (Brigham young, JD 10:32)

From their "about" page:

As Normons, we do not presume to be doctrinal experts or speak on behalf of our church as a whole.  We’re just a few young Mormons — committed to what we believe, admittedly strange, and happy to tell you about it.

I have no problem with LDS folks getting all sound-byte-y on teh interwebs like everyone else and their dog seem to be doing.  The blog isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I have no problem with it being theirs.

So after having read the article on Deseret News I thought, "Yeah, OK. I get it." Kind of reminds me of the church's I'm a Mormon campaign.

After looking over the blog... Well, in principle I still get it. But the blog bugged me. I can't say for sure why. Maybe it was the cavalier and comical approach. I don't know for sure. Maybe it's just my mood. I don't begrudge them their approach though. It may well be a great way to get people interested in the church.

Ultimately I stand by my first comment. If the world isn't seeing peculiarity in a Mormon, the Mormon isn't doing something right. And I would not approach the gospel from a primary stand-point of being normal first because it's ultimately a setup dependent on deception. The Re-organized church (Community of Christ) fell into this trap, and little by little over the years have compromised and compromised to be more and more normal until they are hardly distinguishable from any run-of-the-mill Christian denomination. We should be distinguishable.

Now I know that's not ultimately the point of the blog. But the approach skirts the line of it close enough that it kind of bugs me...barely. I'm not really "bugged". That's too strong of a word. I just didn't latch onto it.

Gordon B. Hinckley seemed to want the world to see Mormons as normal.

Mormons are regular people, President Gordon B. Hinckley said during a 1995 interview on "60 Minutes" that thrilled American church members who longed for their neighbors to see them as normal.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695248252/Gordon-B-Hinckley--Long-legacy.html?pg=all

M.

Mormons are regular people.  I don't present myself as other than what I am at work or at home, or at recreation.  And aside from not drinking, and not smoking, and being a moral person.  I guess I'm pretty normal.  What else would there be that would make me not normal.  I guess I don't understand the premise?

Most people I know love their families, drink in moderation, go to church, try to be faithful to their wife's and girlfriends.  I relate to much of how they live.

I guess it kind of depends on what's meant by "normal". We definitely want people to be able to relate, and not feel like we are so foreign that they cannot relate at all. But we also want them drawn to us because of our differences -- because they see greater spirituality, greater family strength, greater levels of service, etc.

In the strictest sense of the word, as the world becomes more and more corrupt, Mormons should be seen as more and more abnormal, but that abnormality should be a refuge to those who see through the lies of the "normal" corrupt world.

In today's world there is certainly still a level of cross-over between what is normal to the world and what is Mormon. The divide is growing though, day by day.  Certainly Mormon's application of chastity is not normal. Certainly the Word of Wisdom is not normal. Even things like faithful weekly church attendance are less and less normal.

Maybe there needs to be a clarification of what is abnormal, but not odd, and that which is viewed as truly odd. One can be abnormally kind, for example, Not normal. But usually people don't look at excessive kindness as odd.

Mormons should be abnormal. But they should not be coming across as odd, strange, weird, etc..

(slapping head) Thanks for fixing the link. More senior moment than I should be having at my age. I'm not blonde either. No excuse.

Good way to stall out a perfectly good discussion: 1) Spell Mormon wrong and 2) Let Lakumi and Jerome have a sword fight while you mess around trying to fix the obvious problem.

I still can't copy and paste like I used to though and the quote button doesn't seem to be working either.

Most people I know love their families, drink in moderation, go to church, try to be faithful to their wife's and girlfriends.  I relate to much of how they live.

Right, most in the world don't encourage abstinence from sex until marriage, in fact, many say this is bad. Our teaching makes us mostly peculiar.

Most in the world don't teach that divorce should be avoided if at all possible, in fact they seem to lean towards divorce as a great option. Our teaching makes us peculiar.

Most in the world don't abstain from alcohol, in fact they tell us a little bit every day is great for us. Our teaching make us peculiar.