A Gay Marriage Advocate Defends Our Right to Religious Opposition

prisonchaplain

The traditional marriage conflict has turned ugly.  Some same-sex marriage advocates have compared their efforts with the overturning of prohibitions against interracial marriage.  They press the matter, saying that traditional marriage advocacy should not be tolerated.

Hope shines, as one advocate begs to differ.  He says that he has advocated for same-sex marraige for many years, but is not now advocating to tolerance towards those who disagree.  WOW!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/24/opposing-gay-marriage-doesn-t-make-you-a-crypto-racist.html

It's commentary like this that makes me hope that maybe we all can just get along...at least for awhile.  :-)

PC.  I didn't read the link... but I'm confused by this:

" He says that he has advocated for same-sex marraige for many years, but is not advocating to tolerance towards those who disagree".

So, why does he shine hope on the matter?

I see this article as simply another tactic. He strongly advocates for gay marriage and the acceptance of homosexuality, he simply defers to the fact that there are valid long-held reasons for the entrenchment against it that will take time to overcome, and notes that playing the race card is counterproductive to the war that is clearly already being won by gay marriage advocates.

PC.  I didn't read the link... but I'm confused by this:

" He says that he has advocated for same-sex marraige for many years, but is not advocating to tolerance towards those who disagree".

So, why does he shine hope on the matter?

Because I did a typo.  It should have read "but he is NOW advocating tolerance..."

I see this article as simply another tactic. He strongly advocates for gay marriage and the acceptance of homosexuality, he simply defers to the fact that there are valid long-held reasons for the entrenchment against it that will take time to overcome, and notes that playing the race card is counterproductive to the war that is clearly already being won by gay marriage advocates.

He has very little to gain by expressing tolerance towards traditionalists.  In fact, he'll like get some rather sever push back from the LBGT activists.  Even if his motive is to play nice to win a few of us over, I'd suggest his tactic (if not his position) is blblical.

He has very little to gain by expressing tolerance towards traditionalists.  In fact, he'll like get some rather sever push back from the LBGT activists.  Even if his motive is to play nice to win a few of us over, I'd suggest his tactic (if not his position) is blblical.

Possibly. Half truths are one of Satan's most powerful tools. And diplomacy is always beneficial. I see this as diplomacy. It gives a way in for those who, as he stated, refuse to even have the dialog because they are accused of racism. It opens up opportunities for some consideration of homosexuality and gay-marriage that might otherwise not be open.

Yes, I agree, the tactic could be considered biblical. How many organizations and leaders through the ages have picked and chosen from certain biblical principles to sway their followers to an evil end though?

Good and evil are not so black-and-white. Should we view every kind approach as good? If I am kindly swaying you to murder your brother, does it qualify as praiseworthy?

Is it not honesty to say that my ideological opponent's ideology is wrong--even ungodly--while acknowledging that his manner and openness are good--even godly?  Just as he may be seeking a way to persuade me, by recognizing my humanity and thoughtfulness, is he not opening himself up to possible persuasion as well?

Is it not honesty to say that my ideological opponent's ideology is wrong--even ungodly--while acknowledging that his manner and openness are good--even godly?  Just as he may be seeking a way to persuade me, by recognizing my humanity and thoughtfulness, is he not opening himself up to possible persuasion as well?

I honestly don't know the answer to this. My feelings tend towards conflicting ideas. On one side, benefit of the doubt. On the other, skepticism.

I accept that this guy's manner and approach is significantly better than scathing accusations of racism. So I'm in line with your thinking in that regard. But I am also of the mind that it is indeed a tactic.

Maybe a better way to put it -- Kindness is not kindness if it's pretend. Then it is nothing more than a deception. A lie. So... maybe I'm sensing a lie. ???

Maybe I'm judging it too harshly.

Either way, I accept that our response should be to give him the benefit of the doubt when engaged in dialog with him and others like him. But I don't think that means it is inappropriate to state a skepticism in a separate forum with others.

I think all he his asking for is that we get along.

I put up a question on my Facebook wall a few weeks ago after reading a similar article. I explained my beliefs about same sex marriage and homosexuality and asked if they made my friends perceive me as ignorant, intolerant, or a bigot. I got a wide range of responses going from "no. It just means you're human" to "yes, you're a bigot."

But the thing that was common in all of them was friendship. Even the person who called me a bigot added that I was a kind and reasonable bigot (with a big smiley face). Even though we disagreed, we all knew that we stood to gain a lot more joy from associating with each other than from not.

I find people tend to be much more accepting of differing views when they personally know the person they disagree with. Those that isolate themselves to circles that agree with them get much more unkind in their expressions (consider my post on wheat and tares)

John Corvino is another who is really good at promoting mutual respect.

If you're not familiar with his work, he's known as "The Gay Moralist" & co-authored a book with Maggie Gallagher (anti-gay National Organization for Marriage)... That outlines the debate from both sides. He catches a lot of flak from the GLBTQ community but his "We need a better conversation, not more demonizing & shunning; we've been demonized and shunned for generations, why are we turning around and doing it to our opponents?") is really starting to catch on (at least in my area / kids school... Both sides are talking this years, instead of shouting and storming out).

Q

John Corvino is another who is really good at promoting mutual respect.

If you're not familiar with his work, he's known as "The Gay Moralist" & co-authored a book with Maggie Gallagher (anti-gay National Organization for Marriage)... That outlines the debate from both sides. He catches a lot of flak from the GLBTQ community but his "We need a better conversation, not more demonizing & shunning; we've been demonized and shunned for generations, why are we turning around and doing it to our opponents?") is really starting to catch on (at least in my area / kids school... Both sides are talking this years, instead of shouting and storming out).

Q

It is interesting that the GLBTQ discussions are starting to go full cycle and that there is a discussion about looking at backing off demonizing those that disagree.   However, I have wondered if any discussion can take place based just on unique merits and benefits to society.