Energy level

classylady

My energy level has always been low.  In fact most of my siblings and many cousins seem to have low energy levels, so it's probably hereditary within the matriarchal side of the family.  Besides caffeine, are there any natural sources that help give a boost of energy?

Low energy can have multiple causes. It could be due to a struggling thyroid or adrenal glands, sleep deprivation and so on. while you might find some short-term success with some adaptogens such as ashwaghanda and rhodiola, long term you will likely have better success with a complete lifestyle over-haul. I'm partial to the nutritional ideas of Dr. Joel Fuhrman and would urge you to get into his books if you're really interested in learning more about picking up your energy levels.

If the full lifestyle modification is just not your thing you might also try licorice root, vitamin C with bioflavanoids and a good multi with B complex.

DO NOT take my word for any of this... look into adaptogens, adrenal fatigue, low thyroid, and dietary and lifestyle behaviours you can use to influence such things to learn and draw your own conclusions.

I hope your energy perks up.

In addition to getting your hormone levels checked...

Does depression, dysthymia, etc. run in your family? Remember, just because no one gets treated for XYZ doesn't mean that it doesn't run in your family.

ADHD runs in my family... So it's almost never "treated" because we all have it, it's just part of life, and here are 1001 coping mechanisms we start from practically birth, onward. We're a wild bunch of athlete-scholars, with weird degree combos, and rabidly successful as a rule (ADHD is only unsuccessful when bored) ... seize the day, let's go, if we forgot something we'll figure it out later -have duct tape & debit card will travel- is the name of the game. (The veritable wake of lost items left behind us is frankly staggering. I once left a couch on New Orleans. Just forgot to pack it. Also, Florida has my ice skates, still... And I want them back.)

A lot of families with chronic depression (or other disorders) running in them tend to do the same thing: self treat (or self medicate).

Again, not saying you've got adrenergic or neurologic stuff going on... But it would make sense if you do.

Q

I've never had my hormone levels checked.  I have had a growth on my thyroid, (30 years ago) but when thyroid levels have been checked I'm within the normal range, but a little on the lower side of the norm.  But, it's probably been over twenty years since I last had my thyroid checked.  Can't afford to go to the doctor, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do on my own.

It's too bad you can't afford to get medical testing. The best case scenario is to work with a qualified health care professional. A lot can change with your hormones in 20 years. Even so, if you were on the low end of the reference range you could still be hypothyroid, the reference ranges for most hormones are considered by many experts to be too wide of a range.

Ideally the following suggestion would be done in addition to lab tests to help narrow down your individual needs, but it can still be a somewhat useful tool as a stand alone as well. There are many who believe that the most accurate measure of your thyroid hormone status is your body temperature. It is thought that an ideal peak temperature of 98.6 degrees should be reached mid-afternoon. However it is usually more achievable to get a morning temperature. Morning temperatures are thought to be best right around 98 degrees when taken under the arm-pit over a ten minute period.

Keep track of your temperatures daily as a habit for several weeks to see what kind of trends manifest. It is normal to have fluctuations up and down a little with your cycle. If your temperatures are consistently low you have a few options. First, if it is at all possible you could take this information to your Dr. and get your thyroid hormones checked again. If they are still in the normal range, but on the low end you might ask about a low dose desiccated thyroid prescription such as armor thyroid. Continue to monitor your temperature to see if the dose is right. If the Dr. thing really just can't happen you could also try a weaker thyroid glandular supplement (such as this) that has the actual thyroid hormones removed, but still has other factors that help to support an under-active thyroid. Once again continue to monitor your temperature to see if it's working, it will likely take a little while (week) before you notice a marked improvement. If this does not get your temperature in range do not exceed the suggested dosing. If you're feeling more energy even without an ideal temperature than it may be worth continuing to supplement, otherwise if the temperature and your energy don't improve I would discontinue using it.

You may also find this link helpful:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/temperature/ 

I've never had my hormone levels checked.  I have had a growth on my thyroid, (30 years ago) but when thyroid levels have been checked I'm within the normal range, but a little on the lower side of the norm.  But, it's probably been over twenty years since I last had my thyroid checked.  Can't afford to go to the doctor, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do on my own.

Just because your TSH is within normal range doesn't mean there isn't a thyroid issue.  My TSH was normal but I was sick and my symptoms pointed to Thyroid.  I begged for an antibody test for about 18 months.  Because my TSH was normal the insurance wouldn't cover the cost.  I finally told my doctor I would pay for the test if it came back normal.  He called himself to tell me my thyroid antibodies were off the chart and to apologize.

Please ask your doctor for a full thyroid panel.

Just because your TSH is within normal range doesn't mean there isn't a thyroid issue.  My TSH was normal but I was sick and my symptoms pointed to Thyroid.  I begged for an antibody test for about 18 months.  Because my TSH was normal the insurance wouldn't cover the cost.  I finally told my doctor I would pay for the test if it came back normal.  He called himself to tell me my thyroid antibodies were off the chart and to apologize.

Please ask your doctor for a full thyroid panel.  I understand not being able to afford going to the doctor.  Every month I have to decide if we can afford to fill my meds.  But... this is important.  Your health issues need to be addressed.

There really isn't a quick fix for energy levels besides stimulants like caffeine.  You can eat healthy and avoid sugar.  Avoiding caffeine is important too.  Over time caffeine undermines energy instead of building energy levels.  I feel better when we are juicing regularly.  If I can drink 16 ounces of green drink a couple of times a week I do better.

Are you getting enough stage 4 sleep?

- Make sure you eat food that has life-force in it (real food - veges, fruits, nuts, sprouted bread...).
- Don't overeat and keep meals simple (the body needs a lot of energy for digestion).

- Drink plenty of water.

- Peppermint essential oil (diffuse or put on bottoms of feet) - quality matters (should smell more earthy than candy-like).

- Make sure your environment is uncluttered (major drain on energy).

- Don't be too sedentary - get up and move regularly.

- You can also paddle energy (check youtube or google for how).

Had another thought.  You mentioned how you see this with your mom's side of the family - are their 'personalities' similar? You don't have to answer that but just keep in mind that different types of people have different energy levels so don't compare yourself to those that are of a different nature.  If you're naturally more like a river or the ocean, that will not look the same as someone who resembles a geyser or waterfall. It's all good so work with it, not against it.

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2014 at 12:20 PM, classylady said:

My energy level has always been low.  In fact most of my siblings and many cousins seem to have low energy levels, so it's probably hereditary within the matriarchal side of the family.  Besides caffeine, are there any natural sources that help give a boost of energy?

Me too, until I tried Niagen for the first time about 3 years ago. The first year was phenomenal, then suddenly its effect dropped drastically. Taking 250 mg per day seems the best dose for me, and still helps some.

Lately I read the Plant Paradox and simply cutting tomatoes, corn and beans has cured my Barrett’s Esophagus, which was being treated by a prescription med that affected my absorption of B vitamins. Today Dr. Gundry queried interest in mitochondrial supplement!

Edited by BeNotDeceived
Add comma