Roleplaying Righteousness

Martain

So I'm wondering, are there any individuals here in Salt Lake City that would be interested in an attempt to play Pathfinder or Pathfinder Society organized play with the intent to role play righteousness?

Sort of an "in the game but not of the game" mentality where placed in fictional scenarios we don't run into in real life we can choose to do the right thing even if doing so means the death of our character or imprisonment etc? Where rather slaying enemies for loot/reward we instead try to reason with them and "raise the banner of peace" first? Where we implement the laws in the Book of Morman regarding righteous warfare?

Example:

Evil dragon (as in pillage/slaughter villages of people) swooped down on us with the intent to kill us. My question was whether attempt to speak and resolve peacefully in hopes of guiding towards redemption or simply smite and was taught by the Spirit which was the right.

I want to put myself into more scenarios like this where the ethics of the situation are not something I clearly understand (due to scenario being foreign) so that the Spirit can teach me the way to go. Where I can choose to do the right thing regardless of the in game consequences for doing so.

This way, should the equivalent of such experiences ever arise in reality, I've already likened the scriptures to myself in this manner and I'll already know what to do rather than trying to do so when actually faced with such choices (sort of how we make decision ahead of time to only marry in the temple rather than leaving decision to the very end).

So basically I'm looking for some others who would be interested in this type of playing style where the goal isn't to obtain loot and level up but to play with integrity to what we know is right and wrong.

Anyone interested?

BackStory:

I used to be a very addicted video gamer until the gospel took root in my heart and I wanted freedom. After much pondering and prayer I was finally given some very direct personal revelation regarding the matter and as of such I do not play video/electronic games and was freed/ransomed from my addiction by the power of the atonement.

This being said, the Lord has not taken from my heart the root desire or enjoyment of such games which has frustrated me because I can't find any game out there that fills this desire righteously. I invariably end up purchasing a board game that looks decent only to become opposed to it with in a short period of time due to various game mechanics which run contrary to what I know is true. I want to roleplay righteouss not wickedness/worldliness.

The more I look the more it seems clear that there are not games out there such as I seek where the game is based upon true principals. There are no Terrestrial/Celestial RPG games out there because creation of such would require someone with a firm understanding of Terrestrial/Celestial laws to create it in the first place.

I wonder if the reason the Lord has left such in my heart is because perhaps one day I'll simply have to create the game I seek. Until then I've been searching and currently settled on Pathfinders as a possible Role Playing Game that might be turned to fill and fit the desire I seek.

Yet although I've done extensive reading/preparation for play, I've only played once because the group I originally started with had players whose mentality was an abhorrant 'kill everything!' and who after I indicated I wouldn't be playing with the group any more and pointed out their actions to the GM (game master) had the moral alignments of their characters adjusted to neutral evil and chaotic evil to reflect their in game actions.

I believe that done right, this game can be used to put myself in a position where the Lord can teach me truth's and where the game can act as a launching stone propelling me forward in truth and righteousness. Now I simply have to find a group of like minded people, coordinate a time, and find someone willing to GM according to such desires.

Lol!

Well at the moment I settled on a class that's a cross between a rogue and a alchemist which will fit the roll of a skill monkey (high diplomacy skills) where I will choose to put no points in the bluff skill and use intimidate only in valid scenarios (think Moroni commanding Zarahemna to depart with a oath of peace or be brought down to the dust).

It would need a GM willing to play to the style desired. The first recourse would be attempting peaceful resolutions but there would invariably be scenarios where the NPC/Monster simply refuses and that's part of the game. The goal isn't to resolve every encounter peacefully but to have made the attempt and to learn via the Spirit what one would do then.

When you offer mercy, does your near death foe accept or are they so hardhearted and bloodthirsty that they would rather die so long as they have even a chance of taking you with them?

Do they flee and do you follow to smite them like Gidgidonihah versus the Gaddianton robbers? Do they throw down their weapons and plead for mercy? If so what do you do if they break their promise?

I'll admit I'm having a hard time with the spells and sorcery and magic part of the game but have determined for now that there are simply items/abilities I won't use and which also was consideration in why I chose a non magic casting character to start with. Part of the play will be to learn such a system well enough that eventually I might be able to replace it with a version based upon true gifts from the Lord based on faith.

I honestly don't know completely how it would work only that I truly feel it could if approached by players with similar intent. Such a group could for example start an adventure path with kingdom building central to play where the players act in central roles in the community government and have to defend against enemies that come and attack their people/lands or other threats that crop up in the land.

I'm not yet certain I'm comfortable with the idea of playing it via skype (classified as video/electronic gaming? Uknown) but may do so due to no other option presenting itself. If I start this way, I may end up ceasing if I learn it does fall into the above category. Optimally, I'm looking for individuals locally.

I am not in the salt lake area but that sound like it could be fun.

It wouldn't need to be limited to paladins... but it does seem you are asking for an all lawful good game and that could be interesting

YES!!

I'm not yet certain I'm comfortable with the idea of playing it via skype due to whether or not such would be a video/electronic game or not but such might ultimately be how it is done. Until I know one way or another regarding such a matter, I'm looking for individuals locally.

Oh well its just everyone typing, I've done it that way for Star Trek RPGs

And the Paladin thing was a joke, and my suggestion for magic is have it in a more alchemist style, where spells are made by the mixing of things-roots, teeth, what have you. Back then the average person would have thought chemisty to be magic, so have it like he uses primative grenades that have a sleeping gas or something. Think outside the box, magic doesn't have to mean Lakumi-eye lazers!

You are only limited by your own imagination.

I'd like to see a Mormon Gnome lol

I'll admit I'm having a hard time with the spells and sorcery and magic part of the game but have determined for now that there are simply items/abilities I won't use and which also was consideration in why I chose a non magic casting character to start with. Part of the play will be to learn such a system well enough that eventually I might be able to replace it with a version based upon true gifts from the Lord based on faith.

You would need to reflavor magic into a type of energy source.  Make wizards more like scientists and sorcerer more like mentalist or psionists (which is really just a different type of fantasy)

Clerics would still be the ones that the dealt with the supernatural/divine