Family History

Palerider

We had Stake Conference this weekend. One of the speakers challenged us to find out "Who" in our family was the first person to join the church. I was trying to figure out who that would have been on my Mothers side. I have been a life long member and on my Mothers side they have been members since the beginning of time.

I could not figure out who this was. I asked my sister and she told me that I have the book in my home that would provide that answer. I have a hard back book titled The Lake family History. Started reading and found out it was a man named James Lake.

Seems he was friends with Brigham Young when they lived in Canada. Was taught and baptized in Canada and he and his wife moved to Kirtland. He helped build the Temple. Received their endowments in the Nauvoo Temple before going west. Stayed in Council Bluffs for 2yrs and served as a Bishop there. When they went west they ended up settling around Ogden. Was later called as a Patriarch for the area. They were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple by Pres Heber C Kimball.

Pretty awesome stuff.

How about you....who was the first convert in your family ???

I thought I was the only Mormon in my whole family until I started doing serious genealogy work about 4 years ago. I made a mistake on something that I entered and this person, whom I never heard of sent me an email to tell me that who I had as my Great Great Grandmother was actually named Sue and not Elizabeth. Come to find out this person is an LDS relative of mine going back on my mother's side. I am not sure how far back my family has been involved...but, at least I know that there are a few of us converts.

I was baptized in 1971 and my parents never mentioned anyone else in the family being LDS... so I just don't have a clue.

I thought I was the only Mormon in my whole family until I started doing serious genealogy work about 4 years ago. I made a mistake on something that I entered and this person, whom I never heard of sent me an email to tell me that who I had as my Great Great Grandmother was actually named Sue and not Elizabeth. Come to find out this person is an LDS relative of mine going back on my mother's side. I am not sure how far back my family has been involved...but, at least I know that there are a few of us converts.

I was baptized in 1971 and my parents never mentioned anyone else in the family being LDS... so I just don't have a clue.

It makes you think .....I know I was curious and had to find out.

What do you consider family?  By blood or by marriage?  And if by blood, direct descendant or how far removed?  Does baptism of the dead count as the first?

I'm the first direct descendant in my blood lineage from 1829.  There's another guy in my family who is not in my direct lineage from 1829 who married a mormon woman and got baptized in the 70's.  Him and his wife baptized several of his ancestors by proxy.

On my wife's side it was Newell Knight. On my side...??? That's more complicated as I had many many ancestors join in the time frame where all the Scandinavians were joining and crossing the plains. I think I have just a few on both sides (mom and dad's) that were part of the initial exodus from Nauvoo though. I'll have to look into it. 

This was read over the pulpit yesterday:

Date: April 18, 2014

To: General Authorities; Area Seventies; Stake, Mission, and District Presidents; Bishops and Branch Presidents

in the U.S. and Canada

Subject: Free Access for Members to Partner Family History Websites

In 2013, the Family History Department entered into agreements with Ancestry.com, findmypast, and MyHeritage. As a result of these agreements, members of the Church will receive personal access to these family history websites. Beginning April 15, 2014, members will receive email invitations to create accounts on Ancestry.com, findmypast.com, and MyHeritage.com without any cost to them. The phased email invitation rollout will last for approximately three months. After the initial three months and by the end of 2014, access will be rolled out in stages to all members within specific geographies. You will be notified once access is available to all members within your area.

The initial rollout will include access to all the tools and features of these websites. In the near future, members will be able to connect data between information in FamilySearch Family Tree and the family history data on each of the above mentioned websites. Additionally, in the future, members will be able to submit names for temple ordinances directly through each of these websites with the same level of security that exists on FamilySearch.org today. More

information will be available by the end of 2014.

For any additional information concerning these partner websites and access for members, contact FamilySearch Support at [email protected].

Per our Family History Consultants, if you now are signed up at FamilySearch, and your email address is current, then you will receive the invitation. 

Husband and I have been trying to figure out how we can afford to subscribe to any of these - what we must do without. Then this announcement came. Great, last night we made sure our email address's are the correct on Family Search. Now to wait for our invitation. We also made sure we have the same email address's on our lds.org Ward/Branch Directory, just to be on the safe side.