How Mormons Build Temples - A Step by Step

pam

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormon-temple-building-process

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a video, an infographic and a detailed text description of its approach to building temples on the Mormon Newsroom website Wednesday.

The downloadable infographic provides an overview of the five stages: funding, site selection, design, construction and completion. The YouTube video expounds on these stages with comments from Elder William R. Walker, executive director of the Temple Department, as well as construction workers and others who oversee the process.

Interesting, because the Salt Lake City and County building was meant to be an architectural competetor to the temple.  And it looks very much like the building you linked to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City_and_County_Building

The building I liked to is the Canadian Parlement Building in Ottawa, that's where our Government "does" government things.

(well buildings, there's 3 on Parlement Hill)

• 4 weeks later...

I had watched a video on the building process of the Portland Temple during my first time down in the visitors center. I found this video to be very enlightening. Even is you are a not a member of the faith to know that you helped build or contribute to something so great must be an amazing feeling.

I had a question though about this. I know once the Temple is dedicated those without recommends are not allowed in. What happens in the case of a Temple being rebuilt? Do they 'undedicate' it? Not sure about that aspect of the Temples.

I had watched a video on the building process of the Portland Temple during my first time down in the visitors center. I found this video to be very enlightening. Even is you are a not a member of the faith to know that you helped build or contribute to something so great must be an amazing feeling.

I had a question though about this. I know once the Temple is dedicated those without recommends are not allowed in. What happens in the case of a Temple being rebuilt? Do they 'undedicate' it? Not sure about that aspect of the Temples.

Usually if they are doing a complete remodel of it such as with the Ogden temple, they will rededicate it.  If they are just closing it for some maintenance etc...then no.

I know the Boise temple has been rededicated twice.  Once when they added an addition to the temple and again when they completely remodeled it.

So it essentially has to be rededicated when someone without a recommend, say a remodeling crew, enters the building beyond the scanning point? 

I know the Portland Temple has an atrium where investigators and members without recommends can go in and sit literally inside of the Temple. I didn't know until the Sisters had told me, I was always afraid of walking in and offending someone. :P