Background Checks

Iggy

I want to do a background check on a person. There are so many on-line services available that I don't know which one is Good, Better or Best. 

If I am going to spend $$$, I want the Best. 

Anyone here at the Forum ever use one of these on-line background check services? 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to do a background check on a person. There are so many on-line services available that I don't know which one is Good, Better or Best. 

If I am going to spend $$$, I want the Best. 

Anyone here at the Forum ever use one of these on-line background check services? 

Background check for...

Screening a potential roommate? Hireing for a small company? Seeing if your next door neighbor has any bad history?

The proccess is different (in some states) depending on the reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Criminal history is a matter of public record.

You don't have to hire a service for that in most places (there are aspects to each of our legal & life histories that are not in the public domain which background checks do searches for, that require some level of authority or provable need -or the person's permission, like in applying for housing/ volunteer status/ etc. For those things you need a service or permission.), unless the person has moved around a bunch and you don't want to spend your time going state by state.

Here's California's public record access portal, for example:

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/pra

Q

It generally is easy to discover if someone has a criminal conviction with minimal effort and no background check. Criminal convictions as stated earlier are a matter of public record, sometimes they get sealed, vacated or expunged completely however a majority of the time said individual with a conviction does not attempt to do that.

Working as a process server it is vital I know if this person will be more inclined to get physical or even attempt to shoot me than your average contact. A quick Google search often yields results as most newspapers publish a list of convictions everyday. Also the state courts, in your case Oregon, usually has a free search option for some, but sometimes you have to pay. Keep in mind that is for Oregon convictions only, not countrywide.

A little at home research will often yield a great deal of results if someone has been in the justice system at some point. Hope in the end you did find out what you needed to.

It generally is easy to discover if someone has a criminal conviction with minimal effort and no background check. Criminal convictions as stated earlier are a matter of public record, sometimes they get sealed, vacated or expunged completely however a majority of the time said individual with a conviction does not attempt to do that.

Working as a process server it is vital I know if this person will be more inclined to get physical or even attempt to shoot me than your average contact. A quick Google search often yields results as most newspapers publish a list of convictions everyday. Also the state courts, in your case Oregon, usually has a free search option for some, but sometimes you have to pay. Keep in mind that is for Oregon convictions only, not countrywide.

A little at home research will often yield a great deal of results if someone has been in the justice system at some point. Hope in the end you did find out what you needed to.

Ha! S'why I opted to have the police serve my husband. At work / in a public place (instead of a process server).

Embarrassed him, which made things harder for me in both short/long term, but I couldn't have lived with myself if he'd killed the server.

And he's fast / goes for throats (literally). Not much you can do with a crushed larynx.

But he's a "golden boy" in the public eye (usually), so I hedged my bets.

My exes convictions were all juvenile, so all sealed. Lamp to the head, crushed throat, door to the head strangled, lamp to the head... Yeah. You get my drift.

Couldn't risk anyone else's neck.

Q

Ha! S'why I opted to have the police serve my husband. At work / in a public place (instead of a process server).

Embarrassed him, which made things harder for me in both short/long term, but I couldn't have lived with myself if he'd killed the server.

And he's fast / goes for throats (literally). Not much you can do with a crushed larynx.

But he's a "golden boy" in the public eye (usually), so I hedged my bets.

My exes convictions were all juvenile, so all sealed. Lamp to the head, crushed throat, door to the head strangled, lamp to the head... Yeah. You get my drift.

Couldn't risk anyone else's neck.

Q

I carry when I go out and I have a knife in my boot as well so I generally am safe. However if it is a circumstance that I feel like I will be in danger I can request a civil standby with the Sheriff's Dept. I always retain video evidence from my dash cam and a cam on me though during the serve for evidence. 

I have been assaulted several times, the biting from a woman being the worst. Felt like I was in The Walking Dead when that happened, LOL!

Is this what you're looking for?

It would be if I were not looking for more than one year in the past. I am looking for 20 years worth. I don't have the exact dates - but in the 20 years I have known of this person (am not close or even personal friend, just have known this person since He/She moved to this area in Oregon. Originally this person is from eastern Oregon) I know that He/She has been arrested for: Driving w/o license & insurance, speeding, accidents, fraud, identity theft, forgery, shoplifting, theft, drug possession, possession w/intent to sell, trespassing, etc., etc., this list goes on and on.  This person has used 6 different names, lived in at least 7 different towns (where He/She actually had a PO Box/ Address to receive Oregon State Disability Checks.

So, is all of that information available via the internet free? Through an on-line background check service?  

It would be if I were not looking for more than one year in the past. I am looking for 20 years worth. I don't have the exact dates - but in the 20 years I have known of this person (am not close or even personal friend, just have known this person since He/She moved to this area in Oregon. Originally this person is from eastern Oregon) I know that He/She has been arrested for: Driving w/o license & insurance, speeding, accidents, fraud, identity theft, forgery, shoplifting, theft, drug possession, possession w/intent to sell, trespassing, etc., etc., this list goes on and on.  This person has used 6 different names, lived in at least 7 different towns (where He/She actually had a PO Box/ Address to receive Oregon State Disability Checks.

So, is all of that information available via the internet free? Through an on-line background check service?  

I would highly suggest using a Private Investigator due to the extensive nature of the search. Using different names over a 20 year period with a long rap sheet would be difficult for even those online services to track down everything entirely. A Private Investigator will have connections, pull strings, and get you every detail and piece of information he or she can from those case files. Normally I am all for being proactive and gathering information on your own accord but with that extensive amount of information I think it would be best to rely on a professional.

Just my two cents.

I checked out the yellow pages for this area (and 50 mile radius) and there is NO Private Investigator. I will email the closest one and see what he/she charges per hour. 

Going through the internet on my own is how I discovered all the different names, addresses and *might be related* people. I also checked out the News Releases of the local Sheriff, State Patrol, and nearest city Police. Found three incidences, one of which involved a fatal car accident this person caused. The other two were ID theft, credit card theft, check fraud and re-selling of Rx drugs that he/she stole. 

Would love to have a copy of the court records on those - see why this person spent 0 - yep, that is ZERO time in jail/prison!!! 

Why are you exactly trying to obtain all of this information if I may inquire? Personal curiosity? The individual in question is being deceptive and you want to know the extent?

And as for PI's just remember to look around at their credentials and what they have to offer in terms of pricing and turnover time. In time I plan to become a licensed PI, but that will be a couple years down the road once I am a completely established server.

Why are you exactly trying to obtain all of this information if I may inquire? Personal curiosity? The individual in question is being deceptive and you want to know the extent?

A very, very dear friend of mine is being totally taken in by this person. I have told her the facts as I know them, but she still won't believe me. Before she loses her substantial savings, her home, the land it sits on, and all of her not-so-valuable and some quite valuable personal items, I need to get proof that this person is the crook. 

My friend believes that it I am insanely jealous in regards to this person. That I have intensely disliked and loathed this person from the first time I met him/her. 

In the church we know that Father has gifted us each with a gift that is pretty much powered by the Holy Ghost. For years when I was inactive, I called my gift: Women's Intuition or Gut Instinct. Even as a child, before I knew about the church I had this gift and my family listened to me and heeded my *Instincts*. I have the gift of Discernment. It has never been manifested by visions, dreams, or even of me seeing Angels. I receive *gut reactions* for lack of a better description. The more active in church that I am, the more that I "Walk with and heed the Holy Ghost", the easier it is for me to *hear*, *feel*, and understand the promptings of this gift. Occasionally the promptings are all out, all body encompassing "GET THEE AWAY FROM HIM/HER, or THE SITUATION - NOW!!!

My reaction to this person is *all body*. My entire body; emotions, *gut reaction*, the *base natural man* in me who wants to grab all I love, turn around and FLEE!  

This friend of mine has not known me long enough to fully understand my gift. Heavenly Father paired me with an eternal spouse (finally we both listened to Father and took the leap of faith to get married), because he tempers me. I tell him as best as I can what I am feeling, what I want to do, and my darling husband ponders it, then guides me in how to deal with it. 

We, I need tangible proof. We both feel thought that getting background checks would net us the proof. 

A very, very dear friend of mine is being totally taken in by this person. I have told her the facts as I know them, but she still won't believe me. Before she loses her substantial savings, her home, the land it sits on, and all of her not-so-valuable and some quite valuable personal items, I need to get proof that this person is the crook. 

My friend believes that it I am insanely jealous in regards to this person. That I have intensely disliked and loathed this person from the first time I met him/her. 

In the church we know that Father has gifted us each with a gift that is pretty much powered by the Holy Ghost. For years when I was inactive, I called my gift: Women's Intuition or Gut Instinct. Even as a child, before I knew about the church I had this gift and my family listened to me and heeded my *Instincts*. I have the gift of Discernment. It has never been manifested by visions, dreams, or even of me seeing Angels. I receive *gut reactions* for lack of a better description. The more active in church that I am, the more that I "Walk with and heed the Holy Ghost", the easier it is for me to *hear*, *feel*, and understand the promptings of this gift. Occasionally the promptings are all out, all body encompassing "GET THEE AWAY FROM HIM/HER, or THE SITUATION - NOW!!!

My reaction to this person is *all body*. My entire body; emotions, *gut reaction*, the *base natural man* in me who wants to grab all I love, turn around and FLEE!  

This friend of mine has not known me long enough to fully understand my gift. Heavenly Father paired me with an eternal spouse (finally we both listened to Father and took the leap of faith to get married), because he tempers me. I tell him as best as I can what I am feeling, what I want to do, and my darling husband ponders it, then guides me in how to deal with it. 

We, I need tangible proof. We both feel thought that getting background checks would net us the proof. 

You are then seeking answers for all of the right reasons, I would pursue the same action as you. Bet you could find a mugshot with ease, there are quite a few agencies out there these days that publicly release mugshots from arrests. What part of the Oregon Coast are you located on? Southern? Middle towards Florence? Or Northern towards Canon Beach, Seaside, ect?

Ah, thats all I needed to know. I can see why you are having difficulty finding anyone. I have family that is law enforcement down in Corvallis actually and another that is running for Sheriff up north from there as well. 

Anyways, despite the distance I would say that Salem and Eugene are sure to have PI's. Corvallis I would imagine has atleast one or two as well. 

I am assuming mirkwood is a PI since he is offering services, just look around those area's and see what they have to offer if thats the route you would like to go.

Ah, thats all I needed to know. I can see why you are having difficulty finding anyone. I have family that is law enforcement down in Corvallis actually and another that is running for Sheriff up north from there as well. 

Anyways, despite the distance I would say that Salem and Eugene are sure to have PI's. Corvallis I would imagine has atleast one or two as well. 

I am assuming mirkwood is a PI since he is offering services, just look around those area's and see what they have to offer if thats the route you would like to go.

LOL. One better: LEO of the 5-0 type.

(And wait for it.... 5-4-3-2- ONE better??? One? One??). ;)

Q

Thanks FiveNine - Mirkwood is law enforcement in Utah.