Ordinances for parents?

Normandy

I'm looking for stories from those who've done ordinances for your parents.

My mother very recently passed away and this is the only comforting thing to me right, thinking of doing her ordinances. She was not a member, and very clearly did not want to be one either, so I have reservations.

I'm looking for stories from those who've done ordinances for your parents.

My mother very recently passed away and this is the only comforting thing to me right, thinking of doing her ordinances. She was not a member, and very clearly did not want to be one either, so I have reservations.

That would be really sad if your mother, upon crossing the veil, learned some gospel truths but cannot progress because nobody thought she'd want to get baptized...

On the other hand, if she learned some gospel truths but still don't want to be baptized, the ordinance doesn't have any effect on her.

So... there's really no reason not to perform her ordinances... unless her husband or one of your siblings protest...

Well she was divorced from my father and I'm her only child. The choice is ultimately mine/my responsibility.

I was hoping to maybe hear positive stories/experiences from others who had done the ordinance for a parent to encourage me. I have a whole 11 months to think it over, though I'm certain I'll eventually do it for her. I'm just worried and the fog of grief is no help.

Well she was divorced from my father and I'm her only child. The choice is ultimately mine/my responsibility.

I was hoping to maybe hear positive stories/experiences from others who had done the ordinance for a parent to encourage me. I have a whole 11 months to think it over, though I'm certain I'll eventually do it for her. I'm just worried and the fog of grief is no help.

I was baptized when I was 18 years old and walked away from the Church when I was 21. The thing that brought me back to the Church was when my father and mother passed.

For years after they passed I couldn't get over their passing. I would go to their graveside all the time and cry.

But... as time went along the spirit kept speaking to me about the ordinances we can do for the dead. Truthfully I didn't know much about it...but, I knew just enough that I decided to start working on my family genealogy. While working on that I started going back to Church.

The first thing I did when I was able to was to get baptized for my family members that crossed over. Of course at first all I could do was the baptisms, but I was blessed to be able to get my endowments done in 8 months and then I could do all the work for the females.

I cannot begin to tell you the burden that was lifted off my shoulders knowing that my mom and dad's work was done and that someday I will see them again along with all my other family that the work is being done for.

As stated above... they either accept it or they don't. We just do the work and it's up to them to accept.

I don't cry anymore and haven't since their work has been done. Yes... of course I miss them so much but I know families can be together forever and that's what makes all the difference in the world.

I say... GO FOR IT! You won't be sorry.

I've never done ordinances for my own parents as that hasn't been a need but my father did for his own father.

As he was in the temple performing the ordinances for his father and they were completed...he said that he felt like someone was giving him a huge hug.  He feels strongly that it was his father thanking him for finally getting his work done.

My dad was the only member in his family.  He grew up in a Seventh Day Adventist home.  His father followed it to please his wife but always asked my dad many questions about the church when they had the opportunity to get together.  My dad always felt that my grandfather would have joined the church but knew it would cause problems in his own marriage.  So I think my grandfather was just thrilled when his work was finally done.

My mother was a member of the church when she passed.  She had been inactive for as long as she was a member, I believe, since my dad was very against the church.  I was determined to do her temple work for her once the year had gone by.  But, I didn't.  I never felt the Spirit telling me to do it.  In fact, I felt like I should wait.  Not sure why.

Three years passed after her death when I got the distinct impression that I needed to do her temple work.  Within a month, I was at the temple performing her ordinances.  I had a very spiritual experience while there that let me know that my mom was there and was happy to accept the proxy ordinances. 

Remember that while your mom was not desiring baptism while in this life, there is missionary work happening on the other side.  Perhaps after the year wait, she will be ready to accept the proxy ordinances--perhaps it will take longer for her.  Even so, you doing that work will allow her to accept it when she is ready for it.

My dad's death anniversary is coming up at the end of the month...  I've been waiting sooooooooo long.  My 12-year-old is ready to get dunked in his place (my son is my father's only male blood-relative over 12 that is LDS).  I know I'm going for another round of argument with my mother... I'm prepared for that too.

I say go for it, do it. i did it. They can decline the work if they wish. In the meantime u r doing what u know is right. most people will accept the work. I recently was getting a name ready to go to the temple and I heared the voice it was very soft saying thank u to me. It was cool.