For those who live alone, Sabbath observance

Sunday21

If you live alone and are determined to obey the sabbath, what do you do when you are dead tired on a Sunday?

You have read your scriptures, gone for a walk, read an improving book, meditated, phoned a friend, now what? Assume you are plum tuckered out - too tired to do anything remotely useful. What to do with those last hours before bed time?

If you live alone and are determined to obey the sabbath, what do you do when you are dead tired on a Sunday?

You have read your scriptures, gone for a walk, read an improving book, meditated, phoned a friend, now what? Assume you are plum tuckered out - too tired to do anything remotely useful. What to do with those last hours before bed time?

I don't understand what the question/problem is.

First of all, what does living alone have to do with it?

Second....whether it's the sabbath or another day, if you are too tired to function, what's wrong with taking a nap or going to bed?

It really depends on what time it is. If it's early enough in the day I'll take a nap.  If I go to bed too early I wake up during the night and can't go back to sleep.

So normally I will be on the computer. Sometimes getting some work done (my work is done online) to get ready for the week.  Luckily it's all LDS related.  :)

if I am not in the right mindset reading the scriptures is useless since nothing is retained, I'll remember absolutely nothing the next time I go to read it.

But since my jobs are usually retail related bed time shifts (though usually I have it so I work in the afternoons and evenings, I hate mornings)

Interestingly at my last job I never worked a Sunday even though I never asked for it off.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a time out for yourself. If you are wore to the bone...what good are you in doing anything for anyone be it Sunday or any other day. You have to rejuvenate for the coming week too.

I am not sure I understand the question either. Are you thinking if you have other family around it is easier to keep active doing Sabbath day things? Cause sometimes I am so exhausted with the whole family being here that I HAVE to take a nap... I just excuse myself and do what I need to do...only to come out of my room to find out that everyone else is napping on the couch, chairs, and anywhere else they can find to have a rest time.

I don't believe there is a thing wrong with taking time out on Sunday.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a time out for yourself. If you are wore to the bone...what good are you in doing anything for anyone be it Sunday or any other day. You have to rejuvenate for the coming week too.

I am not sure I understand the question either. Are you thinking if you have other family around it is easier to keep active doing Sabbath day things? Cause sometimes I am so exhausted with the whole family being here that I HAVE to take a nap... I just excuse myself and do what I need to do...only to come out of my room to find out that everyone else is napping on the couch, chairs, and anywhere else they can find to have a rest time.

It is called a day of rest for a reason, methinks.

if I am not in the right mindset reading the scriptures is useless since nothing is retained, I'll remember absolutely nothing the next time I go to read it.

But since my jobs are usually retail related bed time shifts (though usually I have it so I work in the afternoons and evenings, I hate mornings)

Interestingly at my last job I never worked a Sunday even though I never asked for it off.

If you retained it all no one would ever go back ....that's why it's called scripture study....

I'm solo every other weekend.

On weekends with my chilluns..... There's no rest whatsoever, most of the time.

I'm working all durn day, doing what I do all durn week!

14-20 hour shift of childcare.

Easier, now that they're older, but it's still work.

My favorite kind of work, but it's still work.

And with church it's still herding cats, driving, herding cats again. In formal wear.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee...

LOL.

Seriously, though, Sunday with kids is like anti-rest-day.

Wake up at oh dark thirty, work until the last one drops off 14+ hours later, crash yourself.

The classic stay-at-home-parent-ism

"When vacation is just another day, but going to the grocery store by yourself feels like vacation" sort of thing.

That's what I took 1:1 / by yourself to mean.

No other responsibilities that supersede the sabbath.

Be it parenting or anything else that's in the "loophole" section.

Q

I'm also a bit confused by the question. Is plum tuckered out or living alone meant to justify something that would otherwise be Sunday inappropriate?

I'm also a bit confused by the question. Is plum tuckered out or living alone meant to justify something that would otherwise be Sunday inappropriate?

If I lived with someone else, I would talk to them or help them do something mindless. If I had more energy I would do genealogy. I used to read the Jeeves series of novels by PG Woodhouse on Sunday nights. These novels were written pre WWII and are very gentle and non offensive but I decided this was not obeying the sabbath. Our bishop has asked us not to watch tv, which I do not have, but Jeeves novels are close to gentle tv. I had a great time watching The District, a tv reality show that follows missionaries. If you have not seen this go to byutv and search The District. It is great. I have read articles in lds living. I have watched YouTube videos of elders returning from their missions and people singing hymns. I have googled images-christ. I have listened to the children's song book. I have looked at YouTube pictures of temples. I have spent a lot of time on the mormon channel. I have a serious health problem and so am trying to be very good in hopes that G-d will have mercy on me. On the plus side, I am super thin!

If I lived with someone else, I would go bug them until they asked me to go away!

If you retained it all no one would ever go back ....that's why it's called scripture study....

Yeah but if I am tired then absolutely nothing is being retained, it might as well be in Russian cause nothing's going in the brain and I am just turning pages.

I'm solo every other weekend.

On weekends with my chilluns..... There's no rest whatsoever, most of the time.

I'm working all durn day, doing what I do all durn week!

14-20 hour shift of childcare.

Easier, now that they're older, but it's still work.

My favorite kind of work, but it's still work.

And with church it's still herding cats, driving, herding cats again. In formal wear.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee...

LOL.

Seriously, though, Sunday with kids is like anti-rest-day.

Wake up at oh dark thirty, work until the last one drops off 14+ hours later, crash yourself.

The classic stay-at-home-parent-ism

"When vacation is just another day, but going to the grocery store by yourself feels like vacation" sort of thing.

That's what I took 1:1 / by yourself to mean.

No other responsibilities that supersede the sabbath.

Be it parenting or anything else that's in the "loophole" section.

Q

Yes life with kids means that you rarely have time weighing on your hands.

I suppose it entirely depends on what one posts. :)

Or reads.  If I spent my Sunday going through every post of the A-Z game threads it would be wasting time.  Now if I read up on some good gospel discussion threads...probably not a waste of time.

Or reads.  If I spent my Sunday going through every post of the A-Z game threads it would be wasting time.  Now if I read up on some good gospel discussion threads...probably not a waste of time.

Right. And if one is spending the time to research doctrinal concepts, even with the end goal being to refute an idea on the forum, it practically constitutes scripture study, in many a case. The same can be true of reading responses that have been well supported by scripture and other church materials. Of course, descending into incivility quickly renders even those efforts inappropriate...but that would be true of any day, not just Sundays.