Childhood things now extinct!

Bini

BETA video cassette recorders

Laughing about discovering eight-tracks that would never play (they were already old in my childhood)

Duck Hunt on the NES is pretty hard to find these days

Being able to escape technology (is there no where left without cell phone towers?)

Dual audio cassette high speed dubbing that sounded like the chipmunks

Life before the beast known as facebook gave everyone a platform for showcasing how narcissistic they are

four digit telephone numbers (I never had an operator patch me through though)

non-professional bake sales are uncommon because of modern food safety rules in my parts anyway

I'm mostly impartial as to wanting it back or saying good riddance.

I would get a kick out of the rear-facing seat station wagon making a come back  ;) wood side paneling and all! - perhaps more fuel efficient mind you.

Affordable starter homes are also a piece of history I miss from my childhood.Now developers only make mansions.

The original laser disk player. The disks were record sized, in a thick plastic sleeve. You put the whole thing into the player and it spat out the sleeve. When you were done watching the movie, you put the sleeve back in and it encased the movie again. 

I don't even know if they ever caught on. My dad had an electronics store, stocked a couple, and when he went out of business, we got the players and all the movies. 

One of the movies was a Charlie Brown where they were camping and had a rafting race. CB, Peppermint Patty, and co. got lost. I've never been able to find it except the occasional copy on Amazon for a billion dollars. I'd love to have it. 

Oh and our schools still allow home baked goods, provided we consider classroom allergies. I think our school is a dying breed, though.

We haven't been able to here for years. Even when my kids were in 1st grade it wasn't allowed and they are now almost mid 20's.

Being able to escape technology (is there no where left without cell phone towers?)=

You turn your phone off. Though to be fair, the expectation that you'll be reachable is there. Which can result in people freaking out if they know you have a cell phone and they expect to be able to reach you but can't. I suppose you could temporarily change your voice mail message to something like, "I'm not dead, sick, or injured, I've just turned off my phone. Leave a message and I'll get back to you when I turn it back on."

You turn your phone off. Though to be fair, the expectation that you'll be reachable is there. Which can result in people freaking out if they know you have a cell phone and they expect to be able to reach you but can't. I suppose you could temporarily change your voice mail message to something like, "I'm not dead, sick, or injured, I've just turned off my phone. Leave a message and I'll get back to you when I turn it back on."

Except when you're dead, sick, or, injured. 

:)

Interestingly, I have been leaving my phone home and off a lot lately.  I turned it off this entire weekend even.

Except when your sick, injured or dead, what

Well having a message that says you're not sick, injured or dead wouldn't help if you really were sick,injured or dead.

Except when your sick, injured or dead, what

I should've said "Unless" instead of "Except"...

It was meant to continue that sentence in your post... like so:  "Leave a message and I'll get back to you when I turn it back on... Unless I'm sick, injured, or dead."

LOL.

Name something that you had growing up that is mostly or completely non-existent now, and that your children will likely not or never experience in their childhood. Do you wish it back? Or good riddance?

Megaforce toys. Best micromachine type stuff ever.

Well having a message that says you're not sick, injured or dead wouldn't help if you really were sick,injured or dead.

Neither would having one that says, "Leave a message."  It won't make you breakfast in bed either. The point is to keep people from freaking out that they can't reach you, not somehow craft a magical voice mail message that helps you if you're sick, injured or dead. 

Neither would having one that says, "Leave a message."  It won't make you breakfast in bed either. The point is to keep people from freaking out that they can't reach you, not somehow craft a magical voice mail message that helps you if you're sick, injured or dead. 

I think you missed my point.  If you have a message that something like..."I'm not available right now.  Just want you to know I'm not sick, dead or injured.  Leave a message.

That particular message doesn't help if you really are sick, dead or injured.  Mainly the dead part.

Manual typewriters and electric typewriters. Wish I had a manual right about now. My fingers and hands are so feeble and weak. Typing on a keyboard doesn't firm up the muscles or help work out the pain. 

Reel to reel music. My brother had one beautiful system- loved to visit him and listen to Mozart or Beethoven with him. Absolutely nothing since can even compare to it. Not even Bose. 

Manual typewriters and electric typewriters. Wish I had a manual right about now. My fingers and hands are so feeble and weak. Typing on a keyboard doesn't firm up the muscles or help work out the pain. 

Reel to reel music. My brother had one beautiful system- loved to visit him and listen to Mozart or Beethoven with him. Absolutely nothing since can even compare to it. Not even Bose.

I've had an Underwood on my wish list for years.

Sadly, they cost more than my iPad.

So it's still wish listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351069327034

This is what I learned to type on, then I switched to an electric (and switched back!)

But I fell in love with the "delete" key on computers.

And then touch screens.

So, alas, my typewriter dream shall be a valentines day/ Xmas/ birthday wish.

As I NEED a delete key.

But covet the zwishzwoop-clack!

I wish they still made this kind, new.

Singer still makes pedal push sewing machines for Africa & Eastern European markets (limited electricity)

So it's possible to get a brand spanking new "antique" sewing machine.

But I can't find a similar typewriter source.

Q

I noticed at the most recent anime convention I went to, for a joke I had brought my Lamb Chop puppet (long story from a doll show I went to in the spring) and it had an insanely large number of people who said how much they loved it. People hugged it, kissed it, I didn't matter, it was like being an assistant to a famous person. She had her picture taken with dozens of people.

I miss Lamb Chop's Play Along...

I was gifted an '06 Kia Spectre.  The vehicle is stripped--power nothing!  So, we're out on a family ride in the new car, and my oldest says, "Dad, could you unlock the window so I can roll it down?"  I tell her it's not locked, and she insists it is--that it won't open.  I tell her to turn the crank, and to put a little energy into it.  She starts turning it, and exclaims, "WOW!  This is so cool!"

I've had an Underwood on my wish list for years.

Sadly, they cost more than my iPad.

So it's still wish listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351069327034

This is what I learned to type on, then I switched to an electric (and switched back!)

But I fell in love with the "delete" key on computers.

And then touch screens.

So, alas, my typewriter dream shall be a valentines day/ Xmas/ birthday wish.

As I NEED a delete key.

But covet the zwishzwoop-clack!

I wish they still made this kind, new.

Singer still makes pedal push sewing machines for Africa & Eastern European markets (limited electricity)

So it's possible to get a brand spanking new "antique" sewing machine.

But I can't find a similar typewriter source.

Q

There are manual typewriters with delete keys... just like there are typewriters with red and black ink.  The delete key uses the special white ribbon... you press the back button, then retype the letter you want to delete with the white ribbon...

Doesn't work on mimeograph paper and carbon copies, of course.  :-)

I was gifted an '06 Kia Spectre.  The vehicle is stripped--power nothing!  So, we're out on a family ride in the new car, and my oldest says, "Dad, could you unlock the window so I can roll it down?"  I tell her it's not locked, and she insists it is--that it won't open.  I tell her to turn the crank, and to put a little energy into it.  She starts turning it, and exclaims, "WOW!  This is so cool!"

That's what we called Power Windows!  You have to exert some major power to open it...

We were in the Philippines and my kids said... Mom, how do you unlock the doors?  I said, pull up on that knob on the top of the door frame... and my kid goes... "I saw those in the movies!  So that's how they can open it with clothes hanger!".

There are manual typewriters with delete keys... just like there are typewriters with red and black ink.  The delete key uses the special white ribbon... you press the back button, then retype the letter you want to delete with the white ribbon...

Doesn't work on mimeograph paper and carbon copies, of course.  :-)

I only knew of electric typewriters that did this