Falling in love with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

SGMan

Just an introduction...

I was introduced to Jesus Christ by Pentecostals when I felt led to go there after praying for the truth to be revealed to me. Happily, they introduced me to the sinner's prayer and I repented. I was blessed with the Holy Spirit and that was my beginning to living a new life. I met some Baptists at a Denny's one evening, and found them to be engaging. They invited me to a 20's to 30's bible study on Tuesday evenings and so I began another journey there. I met a woman there and married her and had two daughters by her. Then I did the unthinkable. While witnessing on the corner with bible tracks, I was hit with this thought - People are looking at me like I'm a religious nut. I'm a religious nut! There's no power. It's all a sham. And so right there and then I quit reading my bible and filled myself with literature on atheism and naturalism. 

I'll spare you all the ugly details of how I destroyed my life. It got so bad that I finally repented of my sins again, and shortly after (just weeks earlier) I saw LDS missionaries on a downtown street and stopped to talk to them. They invited me to meet and I've been hungrily devouring LDS teaching ever since. I had to quit a number of things (the last thing to go was cigarettes) to follow Our Lord's commandments. Now I'm scheduled for baptism on June 7th and can't wait! 

Looking forward to getting to know some of you here  :)

I assume you've been reading the Book of Mormon, have you gotten yourself the other two, lot of good stuff in them.

I have a lot of stuff on audio that I've put onto an ipod. Doctrine and Covenants; Pearl of Great Price, and a number of teachings on various topics. I'm also working through 'Preach My Gospel' and looking up the appropriate verses in the Book of Mormon. Thanks for your welcome :)

SGMan, I too am thinking about converting. What made you take that final step?

A selfish reason... I want full blessings :)

The day before I repented, I was beat up by my drug-dealer roommate who was angry because I didn't give him money for the rent. The reason I didn't hand him over the cash was because earlier that week he smashed my car into a pole (and my insurance only covered damage to the other person's car).

The day after I repented was the day I saw two elders witnessing on a downtown street. The Lord Jesus Christ led me to them (quite obviously). The way to know the Lord's chosen is by the fruit of the Spirit, and I find an abundance of it in the LDS Church. The emphasis on holiness (keeping the Lord's commandments) is a big one. I was lead astray (1988) from my righteous walk by members of a Baptist Church who convinced me that it was okay to go out for a beer at a club. I wish I found the LDS Church straight away, but there probably are reasons why things turned out the way they did that haven't been revealed to me.