How long have you been a member of the Church?

After talking to the Bishop about various things (Patriarchal blessing, temple etc) I found out that I'd been baptised as a member on the 8th of May 1987!  So that's 27 years I've been a member of the Church!  Although I've spent much of that time as inactive when I did return to church earlier in the year I was amazed at how many people had been praying for my return!  I felt very humble that in the great scheme of things little old me was still remembered by my brothers and sisters in the Lord!

I know from my own personal experiences that life does have its bumpy patches, some larger than others but looking back I've always felt that Heavenly Father was with me and deep down from the time of those first missionary discussions over 27 years ago that the Church was the restored Church of Jesus Christ.

So I was wondering how long others here had been members and if you have been active over the entire period or like myself drifted away for a period before returning back to the fold?

I've been a baptized member for 48 years.  I've always considered myself "active" but I readily admit there were times when I was less than fully active.  What I mean is we didn't make it to church every Sunday.  When my kids were young, when I was sick or the kids were sick, or when family activities got in the way, or... well there have been a lot of "less than fully active" times in my life.  I wish there were less.

I've never felt forgotten. 

Thank you for sharing.

Got baptized in 1967 at the age of 14. Went inactive from 1971 to 1998. During my inactive years I never quit believing in the Church, the Gospel or the Gospel Principles. I did however smoke cigarettes and for a very short time pot. Experimented with speed and shrooms. Drank alcohol and hot drinks. Was not chaste - lived with the man I eventually married for six years, and was promiscuous for several years before I met him.

During those 27 years when I visited my family, I went to Church with them, though I did not partake of the Sacrament. 

When I reactivated it was in the town I had been living and working in for 20 years. The Branch welcomed me with more love than my own family welcomed me on my yearly visits to them! I actually knew the majority of the Branch members - through where I had worked - two banks, the hardware store and one of the two grocery stores. Plus where they all worked. Little town - at the time I moved here the population was 970, when I came back to Church the cities population was 1020, it is now 2070. 

Since my reactivation, have been fully active. Being sick enough to not attend is NOT being in-active or to use the dumb politically correct term they want us to use: Less Active. 

In 2000 I received my Endowment, in 2001 was sealed to my parents and in 2005 sealed to my second husband. Got divorced from the first in 2003 - he was totally against any religion.

Married second husband and moved to AZ. For two years new husband and I were unable to attend due to time conflicts. Our ward Bishop would not allow us to attend the ward that met at 11 AM - We went, but it was not counted as being there. Even though we signed in as visitors and continued to pay our tithing to our assigned ward. That is on that Bishops head, not ours,

So, doing the math, have been a member for 47 years.

Lifetime member here...all 45 years. Have been mostly active, skipped Church from time to time for a period of about 3 years but when the kids started complaining about going to Church I got tired of being questioned each Sunday, so I shaped up and started going consistently....lesson learned. 

Attending Church is simply not an area that you can compromise or waiver on without serious repercussions for your whole family. 

9 months and 5 days a member.

I consider myself active, though I do miss a few days of church every now and then. Being baptized was the best decision I've made. When I first made the decision I had to justify the leap I was making by saying I'd be giving ita year, if I like it, I stay but if I don't like it and it turns out after a year it isn't true, I only lost a year. So as I like to joke with my Bishop, my one year is running up, gotta make me decision to stay or not soon. Spoiler: I'm staying.

To quote AndyPG:

Being baptized was the best decision I've made.

I feel the exact same way. I was baptized at 11 in 1991. I've always been active, but there was a long period in my life in the past when I was less than fully active because of medical issues, not able to go to church in Sundays. . . and I hated that time; I knew I belonged in church but couldn't attend.

As of now, I'm fully active.

Edited by KellyLC

I am not a member, but rather have been an investigator since December 2012.

I do actively attend Sacrament at the local YSA Ward, I don't partake in the Sacrament though. 

Also attend FHE with the YSA and will likely be helping with building cleaning if time allows.

Ironic thing is the Bishop, his Counselors and even the Missionaries think I am a member just visiting from another ward on a regular basis lol... Only a couple members who attend are aware of my status.

Church membership goes back about four or five generations on both sides of my family. I was baptized at eight years of age by my grand father, and I had my home teacher confirm me a member. It was my choice as to who baptized and confirmed me. I'm sure that if my father was alive I would have chosen him.

I would say that I've been active all my life, but there was a time during my teenage years that I only attended Sacrament Meeting. I was uncomfortable around the girls in my Young Women's group in my ward, so very seldom attended Mutual, and never went to Girls Camp. I wish I could have gotten over my shyness and lack of self-esteem that I had at that time.

I served a mission in Germany. It was the best time of my life, and also one of the hardest. It helped me overcome my shyness and my lack of self-esteem. I came home very confidant and with a strong testimony.

I wish I could say that having a strong testimony meant I always chose the right. What's the saying? The Spirit is willing but the Flesh is weak. That's me.  I have a great need of my Savior's atoning sacrifice and I'm so grateful for Him and His atonement.

Member my whole life.  Some ancestors crossed the plains to Utah.  My great grandparents immegrated from Denmark to Southern Idaho.  They were meant to only stay for a few years and then move back.  Their families told them not to become Mormons because they would never return.  Well, after several years and a few more children, they never had the money to go back to Denmark with all their kids, so they stayed, and their son, my grandpa met my grandma who insisted on a temple marriage, and that's how that side of the family entered the church. 

Church membership goes back about four or five generations on both sides of my family. I was baptized at eight years of age by my grand father, and I had my home teacher confirm me a member. It was my choice as to who baptized and confirmed me. I'm sure that if my father was alive I would have chosen him.

I would say that I've been active all my life, but there was a time during my teenage years that I only attended Sacrament Meeting. I was uncomfortable around the girls in my Young Women's group in my ward, so very seldom attended Mutual, and never went to Girls Camp. I wish I could have gotten over my shyness and lack of self-esteem that I had at that time.

I served a mission in Germany. It was the best time of my life, and also one of the hardest. It helped me overcome my shyness and my lack of self-esteem. I came home very confidant and with a strong testimony.

I wish I could say that having a strong testimony meant I always chose the right. What's the saying? The Spirit is willing but the Flesh is weak. That's me.  I have a great need of my Savior's atoning sacrifice and I'm so grateful for Him and His atonement.

I can relate to what you said about your mission...My serving in England helped me overcome my shyness and lack of self esteem. I was raised in a dysfunctional family.

If I was engaged to a Mormon and she insisted on a temple marriage, I'd want to pick the temple if I had to do down that lane. The one is Toronto is nice but it's not in my top 5

Thats a bit random in a thread about how long you've been a member of the church!  :)

Baptized in 1972. Walked away from the Church in 1979 and returned fully active in 2010. Funny how one little thing that happened turned me away from going to Church...not turned away from the Church, but away from going. Time just kept ticking away until one day there I was back in Church. I love this Church!