What do you eat for breakfast?

Sunday21

I am searching for a breakfast that is lower carb and does not require turning on the stove - I am afraid that I will burn the house down, I am so sleepy. Knives are also a bad idea! What do you eat? I like ensure with fibre but it is a bit expensive. Any ideas?

Can you handle the oven? Set the oven to 375F.

Brush the bottom of a muffin pan with coconut oil, line with thinly sliced prosciutto. Beat eggs in a bowl and mix in your favorite veggies - carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, onions... Whatever... Pour mixture into the prosciutto cups. Stick in the oven for 15-20 mins... Breakfast to go!

Really has no skill with a kitchen appliance? Grab a banana and a spoon... Spoon some almond butter (homemade is even better - really easy if you have a Ninja or a Blendtec) onto the top of a banana and chomp. Repeat until you finish the entire banana...

People always think breakfast food has to be oatmeal, or eggs, or pancakes.  Why not a sandwich?  Or leftovers?  Why are Americans so caught up in pigeonholing their breakfast food?

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a good breakfast food.

Yogurt with granola and fruit is a good breakfast food.

Basically, you need protein and fiber--cheese and crackers can make a good breakfast.

Brush the bottom of a muffin pan with coconut oil, line with thinly sliced prosciutto. Beat eggs in a bowl and mix in your favorite veggies - carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, onions... Whatever... Pour mixture into the prosciutto cups. Stick in the oven for 15-20 mins... Breakfast to go!

Wow! Total yum!

Really has no skill with a kitchen appliance? Grab a banana and a spoon... Spoon some almond butter (homemade is even better - really easy if you have a Ninja or a Blendtec) onto the top of a banana and chomp. Repeat until you finish the entire banana...

Suddenly I am absolutely starving! This sounds amazing.

How about a toaster oven? Set to toast.

Grab a small pita bread and cut in half to have pita pockets. Grab sliced cheese - or any shredded cheese you like - and stuff some into the pita. Grab an avocado and cut in half. Take out the big seed and scoop out the meat. Stuff some next to the cheese in the pita. Toast in the oven until cheese is melted. Enjoy.

And for a very filling no-cook, 5 second prep, brunch option - take not-too-thin sliced Boars Head London Broil deli meat (ok, I am a big fan of Boars Head London Broil meat but you can take any of your favorite fresh deli meat that comes in wide pieces)... spread it flat on a plate (or a lined kitchen counter if you don't want to be bothered by washing dishes), put a fat line of Broccoli Slaw in the middle... and if you're brave enough to eat cooked shrimp straight from the bag, sit a butterfly cut large shrimp on top of the slaw - or you can just skip that one... Then roll the Deli meat with all these stuff inside like pigs in a blanket....

I dare you to roll 2 of these.... In my house, the first one is in somebody's stomach before I finish rolling the 2nd one...

People always think breakfast food has to be oatmeal, or eggs, or pancakes. Why not a sandwich? Or leftovers? Why are Americans so caught up in pigeonholing their breakfast food?

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a good breakfast food.

Yogurt with granola and fruit is a good breakfast food.

Basically, you need protein and fiber--cheese and crackers can make a good breakfast.

It's tradition!

Ok, we love Nut butter jelly sandwiches (my kid is allergic to peanuts so we use Almond butter)... So what I do, I take the sandwich, soak both sides in beaten egg, and toast in pan... That's what you call a Nut Butter Jelly French Toast. :D

Or you can be like the Filipinos - Pork Chops, Fried or Pickled Fish, Corned Beef, Sardines, Pork and Beans, Vienna Sausage.... All for breakfast...

I used to not eat breakfast very often but now I start my day with a protein bar and cereal usually.

Have a mild lunch then a large dinner at home. Also depends on how long I am out working as well. 

Generally either a sandwich or leftovers.

For a LONG time I had (luscious) Brie & baguette for breakfast.

My body loved it / it's part of my weight loss regime.

But my pocketbook complains.

I grew up in Asia, so I'm more used to fish & rice & miso soup for breakfast on a knee jerk level.

I save French toast, eggs Benedict, crepes, waffles, bacon & eggs, etc. for dinner.

Because they make me sleeeeeeepy.

Turkey sleepy.

I'm going back to bed, wake me in 4 hours, how do people do this sleepy.

And cereals make me nauseous.

Fine for lunch or dinner, but Injust can't face a cold wet bowl full of sugar first thing in the morning.

Q

How about a toaster oven? Set to toast.

Grab a small pita bread and cut in half to have pita pockets. Grab sliced cheese - or any shredded cheese you like - and stuff some into the pita. Grab an avocado and cut in half. Take out the big seed and scoop out the meat. Stuff some next to the cheese in the pita. Toast in the oven until cheese is melted. Enjoy.

You are obviously a great and creative cook!

You are obviously a great and creative cook!

I had to learn to be creative... I'm Filipino, my husband is American.  What I like to eat, he doesn't like to eat... and vice versa.  I had to adjust my thinking that a meal doesn't have to have rice...

My husband was a runway model when we got married so he had this strict food regimen because designers don't make clothes for models - the models will have to fit the clothes if they want to walk.

So, I scoured cookbooks to find something that we both will eat because I'm not going to jug 6 raw eggs, yogurt, white grape juice, banana and spinach from the blender for breakfast.  Nasty!

Oh... if you want a nice breakfast smoothie (another one of our favorite on-the-go items - although I do this for lunch for myself because, like Quin, I can't have cold things in my stomach for breakfast or I'm going to have heartburn)...

half a banana, 1 kiwi, 1/2c fresh spinach, 1/2c greek yogurt, 1/2c white grape juice, 2tbsp honey to tame the spinach aftertaste, and ice cubes... whir whir whir in the blender.  My kids make these for themselves for breakfast to go with whatever I'm making.

My dad bought me a Ninja blender for Mothers Day (eeeee!!!!), and it finally just came in the mail on Tuesday.  So I'm in smoothie mode right now, except that I don't have smoothie fruit in the house... :(  I need to go to the store.  I remembered this morning, however, that I had a smoothie packet in the freezer from when I had put a bunch together with my mom during one of her visits to us...two and a half years ago before my daughter was born.  The Ninja blended with ease, but the smoothie just tasted kind-of freezer-burned.  Major let-down!!  Lol.

I am searching for a breakfast that is lower carb and does not require turning on the stove - I am afraid that I will burn the house down, I am so sleepy. Knives are also a bad idea! What do you eat? I like ensure with fibre but it is a bit expensive. Any ideas?

Protein shake.

When I'm eating eggs, I do something similar (w/o the meat). Just piping in to say that you can make a batch and eat them the next day or two, so you can make them when you are awake, but eat them when you are sleepy.

Depending on what I have to do after I eat, I may have a protein shake, a frozen meal, a can of soup, an omelet, or cereal/oatmeal.  I found out that you can eat oats (as found in Quaker Oats)  'raw' (they've actually been cooked a bit at the factory), so I may make a 'granola' from the raw oats, craisins, coconut flakes, and bits of pecans or walnuts with some almond milk. Regular granola is so full of sugar, as a diabetic, it's hard to justify eating it.

Even tho it's a carb fest, the raw oats are a great fiber meal. You can't look at nutrition in isolation. There's so much nutritional benefit eating the oats & nuts like this, it's worth it when you look at your total food intake. 

Up until about a month ago I ate oatmeal quite a bit.  Fiber is supposed to be good for you right?  Unfortunately I found out I have to maintain a very low fiber diet.  So now I'm having to watch fiber content on labels.