Marriage in the next life, if single

Sunday21

Do Latter Day Saints believe that those who die single in this life can marry in the next? If a saint is married in the next life, is this a proxy marriage in which two living people take part in a proxy ceremony so that the dead person can be sealed to their spouse?

Whereas anatess is right that we do not have specific revelation as to what happens, it is clear that the ordinance of celestial marriage must be performed in the temple by living persons. I expect those who die single will have it set right sometime in the millennium and will have that work done for them just as any work must be done for any who have died without the opportunity for ordinance work in this life.

Do Latter Day Saints believe that those who die single in this life can marry in the next? If a saint is married in the next life, is this a proxy marriage in which two living people take part in a proxy ceremony so that the dead person can be sealed to their spouse?

President Lorenzo Snow

“There is no Latter-day Saint who dies after having lived a faithful life who will lose anything because of having failed to do certain things when opportunities were not furnished him or her. In other words, if a young man or a young woman has no opportunity of getting married, and they live faithful lives up to the time of their death, they will have all the blessings, exaltation, and glory that any man or woman will have who had this opportunity and improved it. That is sure and positive” (Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, 138).

Elder Richard G. Scott

“If you are single and haven’t identified a solid prospect for celestial marriage, live for it. Pray for it. Expect it in the timetable of the Lord. Do not compromise your standards in any way that would rule out that blessing on this or the other side of the veil. The Lord knows the intent of your heart. His prophets have stated that you will have that blessing as you consistently live to qualify for it” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1999, 33; or Ensign, May 1999, 27).

So do I get to marry and live in the terrestrial forest in the terrestrial kingdom after I die or do I just... become uninterested in it?

Usually someone that works hard to be able to conform to living in a terrestrial forest in the terrestrial kingdom does so because of the unique opportunities there.  It is likely that those you associate with in such a place are far more interested in other aspects and opportunities of the terrestrial forest than they are in marriage - that is why they are there.

• 9 years later...
23 hours ago, Joe Cirillo said:

The Lord will never allow anyone who is worthy of the highest blessing or the crowning blessing of eternity (marriage) to miss out.  All of this will be resolved during the Mellenium.

Greetings and thanks for posting.  Thanks for bringing up this forgotten thread.  It has been a while and my thoughts and opinion have evolved since my previous remarks.  I would add to your post - the eternal principle of agency.  You mentioned the crowning blessing of eternity as being marriage.  I would shift the emphasis slightly to recognize marriage as the crowning and greatest “achievement” of eternity.

My thought about marriage are evolving beyond the commitment in mortality of two peoples passionate towards each other.  As with many things we experience the more focus on self and selfish gratifications and fulfillment – the more “worldly” and destructive our achievements become – both in regards to ourselves as well as to the effects on others.

Divine eternal marriage, like all true achievements requires discipline, sacrifice (especially self-sacrifice) and a love of others greater than the love of self.  It is the very foundation of G-dliness; so that G-dliness cannot be achieved without divine eternal marriage nor can divine eternal marriage be achieved without G-dliness.  The two are inseparable and the power and means of creation and the union of that which is physical and that which is spiritual.  It is the only means by which that which is eternal can remain sustainable avoiding chaos and ruin.  It is not just the commitment of a man and a woman towards each other as it is a commitment of a man and a woman to fulfill all righteousness in light and truth.

I believe in agency and all that seek light, and truth are entitled to it.  I believe that the Plan of Salvation presented in the pre-existence is the one and only true and living way (path) to achieve oneness in marriage which is oneness with Christ (the Son of G-d) and our Father in heaven.   That G-d (our Father) has gifted us agency that through the exercise of our free will we can intelligently learn to desire and choose what we will and that through the gift of agency from G-d that our desire and choice will become an eternal reality – be it telestial, terrestrial or Celestial.

The Traveler