Those who die before the age of 8

pam

Is it fair that those who die before they reach the age of accountability (age 8) get a free ride to the Celestial Kingdom?

What are your thoughts?

I have a conflicting opinion.

On one hand, we know that children who die are not held accountable for any sins.  They are pure and they are returned to the Father.  We can read about that in Moroni 8 as well as many statements from General Authorities.

On the other head, I also believe in Eternal Progression - that we will be continuously learning, and making decisions based on experiences, even after this life.  Is it possible to become like the Father without having had to make choices that could have the potential for mistakes and/or sin?

To me, I don't think that's possible.

Is there a conflicting doctrine?  Yes and no.

For salvation, we know that little children will be saved.

But for exaltation - to grow and become more like the Father - I don't see how that can be done, except through experiences held and learned from.

Sure it sounds unfair if you think of life as just mortality.  If you're Catholic, it's really unfair even with the doctrine of original sin since unbaptized babies still qualify for the beatific vision... and they had no pre-mortal existence nor post mortal progression.

Each of our spirits have been in existence from forever back to forever forward.  We don't know what our spirits have gone through and what we will go through past mortality.  For all we know, that kid who died before age 8 faced Lucifer head-on overcoming great temptaton and great obstacles and finally, against all odds, chose Christ and came out squalling out of his mother's womb.

That's speculation, yes.  But, each of us have our own unique journey of progression.  wouldn't it sound unfair that the relatively idyllic life of Gordon B. Hinckley is sharing the same Celestial Kingdom as the hard life of Joseph Smith?  Or that we don't know if we could have answered the call to Utah in the trek of the pioneers and still possibly share the same Kingdom as theirs?

It all amounts to the same thing really.

I suppose it depends on a bit on your interpretation of "fair." I believe that for God to be a God of both Justice and Mercy that indeed everything about the plan needs to be fair. Therefore I submit that yes it is fair.

But I do have questions surrounding the concept; As DHK mentioned salvation is one thing and exaltation is another, will these individuals have opportunities to learn and grow into exalted beings or are they left to be ministering angels for eternity. Would this opportunity take place in the millennium?

Back to fairness... it is so hard to know how things all relate one to another. Is it fair that their mortal life was cut short? Fair that they never experienced romantic love and marriage? Did they already prove some superior valiance in the first estate and just needed a body?

I'm just glad that I am not the one who has to sort it all out, but get to trust that God is truly perfectly just.

Sometimes I think of pre-mortal life in a similar vein as the MTC.  It is a full schedule with many classes, probably taught by resurrected beings.  If you believe in the "Saturday's Warrior"-myth of "the one", then "the one" may be your companion in the pre-mortal MTC.  Plenty to eat (oh wait... we didn't have to eat, did we?)... and not much temptation (let alone opportunity) to break rules.  But it's a safe place right before entering the mission field.

That's just my perspective - the pre-mortal life (after the Great Council in Heaven) was a time of great instruction. 

I think I probably ditched a few classes though!  lol!

I suppose it depends on a bit on your interpretation of "fair." I believe that for God to be a God of both Justice and Mercy that indeed everything about the plan needs to be fair. Therefore I submit that yes it is fair.

But I do have questions surrounding the concept; As DHK mentioned salvation is one thing and exaltation is another, will these individuals have opportunities to learn and grow into exalted beings or are they left to be ministering angels for eternity. Would this opportunity take place in the millennium?

Back to fairness... it is so hard to know how things all relate one to another. Is it fair that their mortal life was cut short? Fair that they never experienced romantic love and marriage? Did they already prove some superior valiance in the first estate and just needed a body?

I'm just glad that I am not the one who has to sort it all out, but get to trust that God is truly perfectly just.

That's where my thoughts go to.   How far that some of their young lives were cut short?  They died before they were accountable.  They were without sin. That is our doctrine.  

I have a conflicting opinion.

On one hand, we know that children who die are not held accountable for any sins.  They are pure and they are returned to the Father.  We can read about that in Moroni 8 as well as many statements from General Authorities.

On the other head, I also believe in Eternal Progression - that we will be continuously learning, and making decisions based on experiences, even after this life.  Is it possible to become like the Father without having had to make choices that could have the potential for mistakes and/or sin?

To me, I don't think that's possible.

Is there a conflicting doctrine?  Yes and no.

For salvation, we know that little children will be saved.

But for exaltation - to grow and become more like the Father - I don't see how that can be done, except through experiences held and learned from.

Hello everyone!  This is my first post!

It is in the scriptures that little children who die are "alive in Christ" (Moroni 8:12). I have heard conflicting opinions on the interpretation here, if they go automatically to the Celestial Kingdom or if they will have the opportunity to accept the gospel and go to the Celestial Kingdom, and I am not sure that the doctrine has been officially fleshed out.  I do personally, however, believe and feel that these children will definitely have the opportunity for exaltation.  

God works in mysterious ways, and I don't know how all of this will work out, but one of the reasons I am LDS is because we believe in a truly merciful and loving God.  And I believe he will take care of these children.

I sometimes ask myself what is fair in this life? Being born into luxury vs. being born into poverty: Is that fair? Is it fair that many young men have had to fight wars and have lost their lives? Is it fair that many young girls are married off to much older men?  Is it fair to be sold as a slave? Is it fair that in some countries the young children are malnourished and/or starving? Is it fair that many are born without ever learning of Christ vs. those who are born into Christian homes? Is it fair that old and young alike have their lives cut short by poor health, disease, accidents, wars, etc. Is it fair that children have been kidnapped from their homes by nefarious, evil pedophiles and then tortured?

I don't think life is fair. But, I do know that Heavenly Father will make it right. Sometimes, death may be the best blessing of all. And, for those of us who have to slog away at life, fighting Lucifer, enduring to the end, I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of our hurts, pain, grief, joy, and our service to our fellow man.

An intriguing question which has never occurred as an element of fairness for me.  A child received back to the Father who died before the age of accountability is just.

Eternal life, exaltation, is to know God and his son Jesus Christ.  What is the difference between a child who dies two days after his/her 8th birthday in comparison to the child who dies two days before their 8th birthday?  Since the child died two days before the age of accountability, are we to assume, they are not exalted because they died two days before accountability but the child who died two days after is exalted, because they are now considered accountable?

As Joseph Smith declared, "When you climb a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel--you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation.  But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them" (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, 268).

Is there a difference between being in the presence of the Father before judgement, and being in his presence after judgement -- if the individual is perfected in Christ (Moroni 10: 32-33)?  The parable of the workers in the vineyard seems to bear truth, guidance, to this question.  Some worked long hours from the beginning, other worked midday, and other came later -- yet the payment was the same.  Some live long, some die young -- yet the gift of exaltation is the same -- if they are perfected in Christ?

"Worlds without End"

"a new earth and a new heaven" shall come to pass.

Saved yes, exalted no. Is that fair? The child misses out on a chance for exaltation?

Is it fair that those without law inherit terrestial glory and it will be tolerable for them while those who practice and believe in god but their hearts are far from Him inherit telestial? All things are fair. God is big in Irony. Where knowledge is given much is expected.

Perhaps my thoughts on "Eternal Progression" (gained primarily through experiences and making choices... why we chose and kept our First Estate) is flawed?

D&C 132:19-20

19  And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them - Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths - then shall it be written in the Lamb's Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fullness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.

20  Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them.  Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

While this scripture is primarily describing entering into the Everlasting Covenant of Marriage, it does describe what it means to "be gods".  It is simply stating that "they have no end".

D&C 130:18-19

18  Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

19  And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

It doesn't say anything about knowledge being a pre-requisite to becoming more like our Father in Heaven.

Abraham 3:24-25

24  And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him:  We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

25  And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

It says "if they will do"... not determine how much you need to "know".

D&C 130:20-21

20  There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated-

21  And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

It would appear that obedience 'trumps' knowledge obtained.

So, we need to not "over-complicate" the plan of salvation.  That we need to humble ourselves as little children, and follow and do what we have been commanded by revelation to do.

I like that Anddenex referenced the parable of the workers in the vineyard.  Were the workers who were hired to labor... did they all perform their labors - despite the length of time?  I believe the parable states that they all did.

So I got to learn something out of this - that it isn't necessarily about following the commandments AND knowledge, but in simply following the commandments and humbling ourselves to be as little children, even as Christ submits to the Father.

The doctrine is clear and it is fleshed out. They will go to the celestial kingdom. It means exaltation.

Apparently not. I disagree.

Saved and Exaltation are two different words used by the Lord. If a child was exalted by just being born than God would be a partial God, a respecter of persons. (Moroni 8:12)

Perhaps my thoughts on "Eternal Progression" (gained primarily through experiences and making choices... why we chose and kept our First Estate) is flawed?

D&C 132:19-20

While this scripture is primarily describing entering into the Everlasting Covenant of Marriage, it does describe what it means to "be gods".  It is simply stating that "they have no end".

D&C 130:18-19

It doesn't say anything about knowledge being a pre-requisite to becoming more like our Father in Heaven.

Abraham 3:24-25

It says "if they will do"... not determine how much you need to "know".

D&C 130:20-21

It would appear that obedience 'trumps' knowledge obtained.

So, we need to not "over-complicate" the plan of salvation.  That we need to humble ourselves as little children, and follow and do what we have been commanded by revelation to do.

I like that Anddenex referenced the parable of the workers in the vineyard.  Were the workers who were hired to labor... did they all perform their labors - despite the length of time?  I believe the parable states that they all did.

So I got to learn something out of this - that it isn't necessarily about following the commandments AND knowledge, but in simply following the commandments and humbling ourselves to be as little children, even as Christ submits to the Father.

Intelligence IS LIGHT AND TRUTH. Knowledge IS LIGHT AND TRUTH. Things as they ARE, as they WERE, and as they WILL be. You cannot be saved in ignorance (lack of knowledge).

Joseph made the following remarks on knowledge.

“When God offers a blessing or knowledge to a man, and he refuses to receive it, he will be damned. 
“Knowledge is necessary to life and godliness. Woe unto you priests and divines who preach that knowledge is not necessary unto life and salvation. Take away Apostles, etc., take away knowledge, and you will find yourselves worthy of the damnation of hell. Knowledge is revelation. Hear, all ye brethren, this grand key: knowledge is the power of God unto salvation.”13 (https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-joseph-smith/chapter-22?lang=eng)

I think these two quotes say enough to not find more.

Yes obedience applies. But what about our different degrees of obedience? Will one laborer receive the same reward as another for a different degree of obedience? No.

The problem is Obedience to WHAT? Do children even become obedient to anything? Did they choose to come and die early? Than what kind of reward will they receive? Perhaps the story of hte talents is more applicable here? That some will double one? Some double 5? Others 10? While some hide it in the earth and receive no new wages? Are their rewards all equal even though one doubled 10 and one only doubled 5? Yes, I believe they are.

"Cannot be saved in ignorance"... ignorance of what?  Saved without the Law?  Yet those who pass before the age of 8 are saved in ignorance, right?  (And I'm talking about ALL children... because they are before the age of accountability.  Yes, we also read about those born in the Kingdom and if they are not taught by the age of eight, the sin is upon the heads of the parents.)

That's where GRACE applies... to help make up the difference with our finite (though innumerable to us) sins, with the infinite Atonement of Christ.

Where the Atonement is applied, then yes, the different degrees of obedience actually performed... will receive the same reward, if they both call upon the Atonement of Christ.

"Cannot be saved in ignorance"... ignorance of what?  Saved without the Law?  Yet those who pass before the age of 8 are saved in ignorance, right?  (And I'm talking about ALL children... because they are before the age of accountability.  Yes, we also read about those born in the Kingdom and if they are not taught by the age of eight, the sin is upon the heads of the parents.)

That's where GRACE applies... to help make up the difference with our finite (though innumerable to us) sins, with the infinite Atonement of Christ.

Where the Atonement is applied, then yes, the different degrees of obedience actually performed... will receive the same reward, if they both call upon the Atonement of Christ.

If a Child is saved as Abraham, Jacob, and Isac than when did they perform their works? If they are exalted to the same throne how did they prove themselves as Abraham which we all must do? I thought mortality was the only place to show forth our works in faith? Unless mortality is not really needful than? 

Ignorance: 

Lets read it in context.

(May 17th, 1843.) The more sure word of prophecy means a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood.

It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance.

Lets see how to interpret the Scriptures.

I have Key by which I understand the scripture--I enquire what was the question which drew out the answer.-- (Sermon delivered at Nauvoo temple grounds on Sunday January 29, 1843, Joseph Smith) (here)

The question was, What is the "more sure word of prophecy"? Answer: "a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life", and Eternal Life is "to know God". So unless you KNOW you are sealed up unto eternal life (D&C 88:1-4), you will not be saved. AS you cannot be saved in ignorance. (Again there are degrees of a saved being)

This is doctrine of the Second Comforter. (D&C 88:1-4)

When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure, then it will be his privilege to receive the other Comforter, which ...this is the state and place the ancient saints arrived at when they had such glorious visions—Isaiah, Ezekiel, John upon the Isle of Patmos, St. Paul in the three heavens, and all the saints who held communion with the general assembly and Church of the Firstborn."(Teachings, pp. 149-51.)

Arrived at, not in an instant, as Joseph said you must begin at hte bottom of the Ladder (King Follet Discourse) and by degrees (D&C 93) grace for grace, ascend (through descent) until you arrive at the top. Joseph taught it would be a great work beyond the veil and even beyond the grave to achieve our exaltation's

"When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Six 1843–44, p.348)

We will go from "exaltation to exalation" but first we must Gain Exaltation

Again the KFD.

Here, then, is eternal life—to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power. And I want you to know that God, in the last days, while certain individuals are proclaiming His name, is not trifling with you or me.

From degrees, to a greater capacity, from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation.

Degrees of a saved being:

Lectures on Faith

what is the difference between a saved man and one who is not saved? We answer from what we have before seen of the heavenly worlds, they must be persons who can work by faith, and who are able, by faith to be ministering spirits to them who shall be heirs of salvation. And they must have faith to enable them to act in the presence of the Lord, otherwise they cannot be saved. And what constitutes the real difference between a saved person and one not saved, is the difference in the degree of their faith: one's faith has become perfect enough to lay hold upon eternal life, and the other's has not.

for if we can find a saved being, we may ascertain, without much difficulty, what all others must be, in order to be saved - they must be like that individual or they cannot be saved: we think, that it will not be a matter of dispute, that two beings, who are unlike each other, cannot both be saved; for whatever constitutes the salvation of one, will constitute the salvation of every creature which will be saved: and if we find one saved being in all existence, we may see what all others must be, or else not be saved.

I think thats enough for now.

Little children who die before the age of accountability will receive the highest reward. They will be exalted in the Celestial Kingdom.

Bruce R. McConkie had this to say about the salvation of little children (The entire talk is in the Apr. 1977 Ensign https://www.lds.org/ensign/1977/04/the-salvation-of-little-children?lang=eng):

Are all little children saved automatically in the celestial kingdom?

To this question the answer is a thunderous yes, which echoes and re-echoes from one end of heaven to the other. Jesus taught it to his disciples. Mormon said it over and over again. Many of the prophets have spoken about it, and it is implicit in the whole plan of salvation. If it were not so the redemption would not be infinite in its application. And so, as we would expect, Joseph Smith’s Vision of the Celestial Kingdom contains this statement: “And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven.” (D&C 137:10)

It is sometimes asked if this applies to children of all races, and of course the answer is that when the revelation says all children it means all children. There is no restriction as to race, kindred, or tongue. Little children are little children and they are all alive in Christ, and all are saved by him, through and because of the atonement.

Speaking of the Prophet’s statement that all children are saved in the celestial kingdom, President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “This would mean the children of every race. All the spirits that come to this world come from the presence of God and, therefore, must have been in his kingdom. … Every spirit of man was innocent in the beginning; and all who rebelled were cast out; therefore, all who remained are entitled to the blessings of the gospel.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:55.)

How and why are they saved?

They are saved through the atonement and because they are free from sin. They come from God in purity; no sin or taint attaches to them in this life; and they return in purity to their Maker. Accountable persons must become pure through repentance and baptism and obedience. Those who are not accountable for sins never fall spiritually and need not be redeemed from a spiritual fall which they never experienced. Hence the expression that little children are alive in Christ. “Little children are redeemed from the foundation of the world through mine Only Begotten,” the Lord says. (D&C 29:46.)

Will they have eternal life?

Eternal life is life in the highest heaven of the celestial world; it is exaltation; it is the name of the kind of life God lives. It consists of a continuation of the family unit in eternity. We have quoted scriptures saying that children will be saved in the celestial kingdom, but now face the further query as to whether this includes the greatest of all the gifts of God—the gift of eternal life. And in the providences of Him who is infinitely wise, the answer is in the affirmative. Salvation means eternal life; the two terms are synonymous; they mean exactly the same thing. Joseph Smith said, “Salvation consists in the glory, authority, majesty, power and dominion which Jehovah possesses and in nothing else.” (Lectures on Faith, pp. 63–67.) We have come to speak of this salvation as exaltation—which it is—but all of the scriptures in all of the standard works call it salvation. I know of only three passages in all our scriptures which use salvation to mean something other and less than exaltation.

Apparently not. I disagree.

Saved and Exaltation are two different words used by the Lord. If a child was exalted by just being born than God would be a partial God, a respecter of persons. (Moroni 8:12)

It does not matter whether you agree.

D&C 137:10 - And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven.

If a Child is saved as Abraham, Jacob, and Isac than when did they perform their works? If they are exalted to the same throne how did they prove themselves as Abraham which we all must do? I thought mortality was the only place to show forth our works in faith? Unless mortality is not really needful than? 

The bolded above is where you err.  And this is where we all rub against the Faith vs. Works debate.  Obviously, mortality is not the only place where we work.  If it was, then there wouldn't be a need for vicarious ordinances.  Faith and work are indelible parts of Eternal Progression.

Mortality is very needful, otherwise, what's the purpose of the Plan of Salvation?  We each must enter mortality.  To act and/or be acted upon.  But, this is not the only place that we are to exercise faith and act upon it.  Nor is it the FIRST place where we exercised faith and acted upon it.

The bolded above is where you err.  And this is where we all rub against the Faith vs. Works debate.  Obviously, mortality is not the only place where we work.  If it was, then there wouldn't be a need for vicarious ordinances.  Faith and work are indelible parts of Eternal Progression.

Mortality is very needful, otherwise, what's the purpose of the Plan of Salvation?  We each must enter mortality.  To act and/or be acted upon.  But, this is not the only place that we are to exercise faith and act upon it.  Nor is it the FIRST place where we exercised faith and acted upon it.

Hi anatess. I agree with you. However, was wondering if you could back up the idea that we exercised faith and were tested in the pre-mortal existence. I seem to recall learning or reading or hearing something along those lines at some point in my life, but whether it was a quote from an official teaching or just a folk doctrine...that I cannot recall.

Hi anatess. I agree with you. However, was wondering if you could back up the idea that we exercised faith and were tested in the pre-mortal existence. I seem to recall learning or reading or hearing something along those lines at some point in my life, but whether it was a quote from an official teaching or just a folk doctrine...that I cannot recall.

I didn't say tested.  I said we exercised faith and acted upon it.  It is official teaching.  We exercised faith when we chose to follow the Plan instead of go with the third part who followed Lucifer.  The war in heaven was fought, therefore, there were works.  There are those valiant souls in pre-mortal life prophesied for specific missions in mortal life... they must have done works to be called valiant.  Yes, you might say, it was not faith as we were with the Father.  But it is still faith... faith in Heavenly Father that this Plan is going to make us progress... Lucifer and his third parth did not have faith that it is the way for our progression.

The doctrine is clear and it is fleshed out. They will go to the celestial kingdom. It means exaltation.

Yep, I would agree.

Celestial Kingdom:

Because all children who die before the age of accountability are pure, innocent, and wholly sin-free, they are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven (see D&C 137:10; Mosiah 3:18). Understanding the special status of little children before God, because of their pure and innocent nature, brings understanding of the Lord’s commandment to “repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in [His] name” (3 Ne. 11:37). The childlike qualities the Lord had reference to are developed by yielding to “the enticings of the Holy Spirit,” so as to become “submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.” Truly, such a person “becometh a saint” as spoken by Mosiah (Mosiah 3:19).

D&C 137:10. “All Children Who Die Before They Arrive at the Years of Accountability Are Saved in the Celestial Kingdom”

Are they automatically saved? Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote: “To this question the answer is a thunderous yes, which echoes and re-echoes from one end of heaven to the other. Jesus taught it to his disciples. Mormon said it over and over again. Many of the prophets have spoken about it, and it is implicit in the whole plan of salvation. If it were not so the redemption would not be infinite in its application. And so, as we would expect, Joseph Smith’s Vision of the Celestial Kingdom contains this statement: ‘And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven.’ [D&C 137:10.]

President Joseph Fielding Smith added:

“The Lord will grant unto these children the privilege of all the sealing blessings which pertain to the exaltation.

“We were all mature spirits before we were born, and the bodies of little children will grow after the resurrection to the full stature of the spirit, and all the blessings will be theirs through their obedience, the same as if they had lived to maturity and received them on the earth.

“The Lord is just and will not deprive any person of a blessing, simply because he dies before that blessing can be received. It would be manifestly unfair to deprive a little child of the privilege of receiving all the blessings of exaltation in the world to come simply because it died in infancy. …

“Children who die in childhood will not be deprived of any blessing. When they grow, after the resurrection, to the full maturity of the spirit, they will be entitled to all the blessings which they would have been entitled to had they been privileged to tarry here and receive them.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:54; see also Mosiah 15:25.)

Will children who die before the years of accountability ever be tested in the way that other mortals are tested? President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “Satan cannot tempt little children in this life, nor in the spirit world, nor after their resurrection. Little children who die before reaching the years of accountability will not be tempted.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:57; see also D&C 29:47; 45:58.)

What will happen to children in the Resurrection? President Joseph F. Smith wrote: “Joseph Smith taught the doctrine that the infant child that was laid away in death would come up in the resurrection as a child; and, pointing to the mother of a lifeless child, he said to her: ‘You will have the joy, the pleasure, and satisfaction of nurturing this child, after its resurrection, until it reaches the full stature of its spirit.’ There is restitution, there is growth, there is development, after the resurrection from death. I love this truth. It speaks volumes of happiness, of joy and gratitude to my soul. Thank the Lord he has revealed these principles to us.” (Gospel Doctrine, pp. 455–56.)

I didn't say tested.  I said we exercised faith and acted upon it.  It is official teaching.  We exercised faith when we chose to follow the Plan instead of go with the third part who followed Lucifer.  The war in heaven was fought, therefore, there were works.  There are those valiant souls in pre-mortal life prophesied for specific missions in mortal life... they must have done works to be called valiant.  Yes, you might say, it was not faith as we were with the Father.  But it is still faith... faith in Heavenly Father that this Plan is going to make us progress... Lucifer and his third parth did not have faith that it is the way for our progression.

But can you provide sources for this?

I'd say, btw, that exercising faith and being tested are equivalent.

But can you provide sources for this?

I'd say, btw, that exercising faith and being tested are equivalent.

Usually, when one uses the word - Tested - they mean the Mortal Probation.

Do I really have to provide sources about our choice to follow Christ in pre-mortal life?  Even my 8-year-old has that in their Primary Book.

Usually, when one uses the word - Tested - they mean the Mortal Probation.

Do I really have to provide sources about our choice to follow Christ in pre-mortal life?  Even my 8-year-old has that in their Primary Book.

Did you miss the part of where I agreed with you? I'm asking for help, not debating.