Whoopsies! Flamed the neighbour's bushes...

Bini

The ward got permission to start a communal vegetable garden on a big piece of vacant land. It's a beautiful spot on the hillside. Everyone and anyone is welcomed to harvest from this garden but it is kindly requested that you help tend it if you wish to reap the rewards of it. About a month ago, someone went out of their way to burn weeds and lost control of the flame, catching the neighbour's yard on fire (specifically, a row of bordering hedges). The neighbours (who are not LDS) are wanting remedy for the damages, but no one has come forward, and Church is saying that while permission was obtained by Relief Society, the Church itself is not responsible.

I guess the neighbours gave up, but I feel bad that there was no resolve for this. Not sure how you would resolve this, since no one is talking, and no one wants to foot the bill for damages. How would this have been addressed in your ward?

JAG, I think that's what should have been done, but wasn't. I'm not sure why it wasn't but my guess would be that people backed out of having any affiliation with the garden. People saying that they seldom use it, etc., though the garden's vegetables are always picked. The truth is, there are two older RS women (and their husbands) that generally maintain it, so in that regard I'd say many members aren't really involved with it much.

I'd (respectfully and privately) suggest to the bishop, and possibly the ward mission leader as well, that--legal niceties aside--the Church's good name is all over this one.  Missionary efforts and public goodwill in your area will, to a large degree, depend on what the ward does now to make this right with the people whose property was damaged.  Would it really kill the ward to do a bake sale, or send some elders over to do some grunt work, or . . . something?  People can weasel out of their role in the garden, but whatever happened to "bearing one another's burdens" and all that?

And if leadership won't act--that certainly doesn't prevent you from trying to scrape something together.  :)

You're right in that I could bring it up again, and suggest something be done, but not sure what good it'll really do. It's been a while now. Haven't heard much about it since. I've never harvested anything from the garden, nor have I tended it in any way, but I feel the situation should have been handled better.

The way I see it, church members were working the garden.  Therefore, church members (the ward?) are responsible.

I disagree... The responsible party is the one who lit the fire and let it go out of control.  That is were the responsibility begins and ends.

Since that person is not stepping up and taking responsibility the ward members, the church and the neighbor are all affected/interested parties.  To various degrees they all have a vested interest in trying to make this right, unfortunately without an identified responsible party some one is going to have to sacrifice to make it right and should be the ward members/leaders.  

If this happened to my ward and nobody stepped up to claim the burning incident, there wouldn't be a who's responsible? discussion going on... because I would have already had my 2 boys and my husband helping me replant the bushes.

And people wonder why I work... because I need money to fix bushes...

Okay, I take it back... maybe there's going to be a discussion going on on who may want to pay me for the bushes... but, it would be without the neighbor having to worry about it.

Anatess, you remind me a lot of a friend I have, also Filipina. Never met anyone so stubborn but at the same time selfless. Not saying that you're stubborn, that's just in reflection of this friend, but she'd be doing exactly what you say you'd do. I'm more of an observer of the situation. I don't see myself replacing the bushes, but I wouldn't be opposed to helping replant them, or chipping in something to go towards new ones.

Anatess, you remind me a lot of a friend I have, also Filipina. Never met anyone so stubborn but at the same time selfless. Not saying that you're stubborn, that's just in reflection of this friend, but she'd be doing exactly what you say you'd do. I'm more of an observer of the situation. I don't see myself replacing the bushes, but I wouldn't be opposed to helping replant them, or chipping in something to go towards new ones.

Yikes.  I'm stubborn.... well, basically, I just don't do things unless I understand what I'm doing... and I will argue my point... so, unless you can convince me it's what I should be doing, I won't do it.  So, I don't call it stubborn.  I call it... cautious.  Well, okay.  I'm stubborn.

On the other hand, if it's something that needs doing... then I'm doing it.