Try something new

faith4

I love food.  Really love good food :)  My husband and I both love to try new foods and recipes, he prefers to cook and I prefer to bake, and we both love to grow fruits, veggies & herbs in our garden. 

I thought it would be fun to read what some of your favorite dishes are, and if you are able, to post the recipes so other readers (and myself) can make it.  Is there something in particular that you are known for making that is awesome? 

Thanks!  :)

Vegan lasagna:  http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/my-favorite-lasagna.html

I just use Italian Seasoning instead of all the separate spices and don't use extra mushroom, just what may come with the sauce. I've also omitted the spinach and used various brands of vegan 'ground meat crumbles.'  My omni son loves this stuff. You'd never know there was tofu instead of ricotta. 

It's less labor intensive than it looks, and once ready, you just need to pop it in the oven and set the timeer- you can whip it up and then go on FB for an hour. : )

Hawaiian haystacks rock! Super simple and lots of fresh ingredients can be added from your garden.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hawaiian-haystacks/

I do not use cream of mushroom soup because it has MSG. I just make a simple chicken stock gravy and add all the other ingredients to the top.

I love Hawaiian haystacks.  

Pam you are always invited for Hawaiian haystack night at the mags household!

Well if I am ever back that way we have a deal. Besides, I want to see those 2 adorable kids you have now that I keep seeing pictures of.  :)

I made this for dinner yesterday and it was a hit... and I didn't even miss the rice (I'm Filipino, if it doesn't have rice, it's not a meal - yes that includes breakfast):

Garlic Shrimp over Zoodles for a family of 4:

This has Garlic Shrimp, Zoodles, and Texas Garlic Toast (or whatever bread stuff you usually get with a pasta dish).

Prep:

This needs to be done in this order because this goes by soooo fast you won't have time to measure once the cooking starts.  Cooking is done in 10 minutes... so with prep and everything, it's a 20-minute dinner!

Rinse off 4 zucchinis (I rinse it in 1:8 vinegar water to get that waxy residue off), chop off the stem, and run through the spiralizer or veggeti or shredder to make noodle shapes.  Put in colander and sprinkle with salt and let sit.

Pre-heat the oven to 425 (or whatever your bread needs - Texas Toast is 425) and spread the bread on an oven sheet.

Put the following ingredients in separate containers:

Container 1 - 1 pound of uncooked, peeled shrimp (tail on or off to your preference)

- salt to your taste (a teaspoon is plenty)

Container 2 - 1 generous tablespoon of minced garlic (that would be about 6 cloves)

Red pepper flakes to your taste (I just use a pinch, my husband wants a teaspoon!)

Container 3 - 3 tablespoons lemon juice

- 1 tablespoon caper brine (you buy a jar of capers which is usually next to the olives and pickles in the store, then you use the liquid that the capers are sitting in)

Container 4 - 2 tablespoons of stick butter cut into 4 blocks (1/2 tb each)

Container 5 - 1/3 cup chopped parsley (the one with big leaves is better).  Keep this container clean because you're not going to cook some of the parsley.

Okay, you're ready to cook.  Oven should be preheated by now too.

Put a big heavy skillet on high (yes, that last notch on your dial) and put a generous tablespoon of Olive Oil in the skillet and wait until it smokes (yes, Olive Oil is not supposed to be heated that high, but this is one dish that really needs it hot, so if you really don't want to put your Olive Oil to that torture, you can use Coconut Oil).

While waiting for the oil to smoke, shove the bread in the oven.

Keep the dial at high and put the salted shrimp in arranging it so all the shrimp is hitting the bottom of the pan - don't stir.

After a minute, toss in the garlic/pepper container and stir the shrimp into the garlic for another minute.  The garlic shouldn't be allowed to get dark.

Toss in the lemon and caper juice and add one block of butter and stir until the butter is melted.

Move the dial to medium-low and toss in the rest of the butter and HALF of the parsley and let sit for about 2-3 minutes until the butter is all melted and the shrimp is all done just stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, check on the bread and put the zucchini in a big bowl.  When the shrimp is all done, scoop it out with a slotted spoon and put on top of the zucchini.  Then let the sauce in the pan simmer in medium-low for 2 minutes, adding a teaspoon of water at a time if it gets too thick.

Pour the sauce over the shrimp, top with the rest of the parsley and shredded parmesan if you like (I don't - neither the extra parsley nor the parmesan), put the bread in a plate, and it's time to eat!

This goes really well with Sparkling White Grape Juice.

And my signature banana eggroll desert:

Take one banana and cut it in half cross-wise.  Then it in half again lengthwise, so you get 4 long-thin pieces of banana.

Take an eggroll wrapper (available at your asian section of a grocery store if they carry international stuff, or at the asian store) and put one piece of banana, then put 2 rectangle sections of hershey chocolate bar on top of the banana.  Put a little jackfruit (also available canned in the asian store - if you can't find it you don't have to have it, it's still yum without it) on top of the chocolate, then put another piece of banana on top.

Roll the eggroll wrapper tight to make an eggroll and paste the end with water.

Make another roll with the rest of the banana.

Drop rolls in hot fryer (some people like to bake it - I don't) and when the eggrolls turn caramel brown take it out and roll in a paper towel to get extra oil out.

Put in a deep plate, put vanilla ice-cream on top and drizzle with hershey's chocolate syrup.

YUMMY.

I have this vegetarian dish that is really good and super filling. It's not actually my recipe but a Dutch recipe from my husband's side. I'll have to ask him about it and share it. If you like pickles - you'll really dig it! (I don't like pickles and I still like it.)

Lemon Squares (a variation on a recipe I got elsewhere):

Crust:

• 2 cups AP flour
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 2 lemons' zest
  • Salt to preference

Combine the flour, powdered sugar, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl. Introduce the melted butter and stir to combine. Press the crust into a 13x9 inch pan making sure to work it up the sides. Blind bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.

Filling:

• 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 5/8 cup lemon juice (I juice the lemons I zest for the crust and top off with bottled juice if necessary)
  • Salt to preference

Beat eggs in a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir into the eggs. Lastly add the lemon juice, stir to mix, and pour into the blind baked crust. Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting (else they have a tendency to ooze) and if desired dust with powered sugar to make it all pretty.

Note: As the baking powder reacts with the lemon juice you want to make sure to introduce the lemon juice into the filling mixture immediately prior to pouring it into the blind baked crust and baking the complete desert or you'll end up with a denser filling due to gasses escaping while it sits around waiting for the crust.