shingles vaccine

dahlia

I'm going to try this again after some idiot on FB did a good job of derailng my thread. I would go into an anti-man rant about men wanting to make it all about them, even when they are wrong as heck, but I won't...

Anyway, has anyone here had the vaccine? Not that I don't trust the doctors (OK, I don't, entirely), but I want to know people's experience with it in terms of side effects.

Also, if anyone had shingles and wishes they'd had the vaccine, I'd like to know that as well. It seems that the possibility of long term pain after the initial outbreak has healed would be incentive enough to get the shot, but I don't know.

Thanks.

Dahlia as I mentioned to you on that other page before the idiot took it off on rooftop shingles, I have been considering getting the vaccine.  I've heard of the agony people go through when they have shingles.

I, too, would like to know if anyone had any side effects from the vaccine itself.

My mom got the shingles. It hurt like the dickens! She said her arm felt like it was on fire. The dr told her the vaccine may not help prevent it coming back or have prevented it in the first place. I think she got the vaccine just on the off chance it might work.   :D

I've had shingles. So has one of my sisters. I don't think my bout was as bad as some folk. Still, it put me down for a bit pretty good. I thought I had bug bites all over my neck -- some crazy spider went to town or something in the night. The doctor laughed at that when I put it down on the paperwork for the visit.

Sorry, don't know much about the vaccine. (I didn't know there was one, actually).

My son had shingles a few years ago. It's unusual for a young adult to have it, but it was a stressful time for him. I'm thinking his immune system must have been off because he got H1N1 and pneumonia the same year and he's rarely sick, much less really ill like that.

I read that you can get shingles even after the vaccine, but that you get a lighter case that doesn't last as long and is less likely to result in the long term pain that some people get.

I'm thinking it's worth it. I just didn't want to be sick from the shot. And yes, I talked to my pharmacist, but I'm tempted to say 'you get the shot and let me see how you react first.' :D