History of the White shirt

This may have been covered, but I am looking for some enlightenment. There seems to be a "white shirt" culture in our church. 

I went on a mission and I get it as a missionary you need to represent the church in a way that has been outlined and that you have agreed to do. I got home from my mission and threw out all of my white shirts swearing to never wear one again. Now I do own 1 white shirt and I have worn it, but it is for temple use only. 

I never wear a white shirt on Sunday, never. 

There was a talk a few weeks ago given by our ex-bishop. he stated that if white shirts were good enough for the general authorities he would wear on until they told him not to. The basic implication being that it was a requirement of sorts. In a light hearted discussion with the 2nd counsler I said I would never wear a white shirt unless a general authority told me my membership was in jeopardy if i didn't. He said and I quote "That's fine but if your passing the sacrament or are in the bishopric it's not really an option" I let it go and changed the subject because I know that he is wrong. It wasn't the time or place to challenge him on it.

So the question is were did this white shirt only thought process come from?

He said and I quote "That's fine but if your passing the sacrament or are in the bishopric it's not really an option" I let it go and changed the subject because I know that he is wrong. It wasn't the time or place to challenge him on it.

This is not church policy, but it is the prerogative of bishops for the sacrament requirement and stake presidents for the bishopric requirement. So...in your ward/stake, it may really not be an option.

I hate dress shirts, and I hate ties.  If I've gotta put them on, they might as be the kind that gets me the least amount of grief from other people, because I'm already getting grief from the things themselves.  Itchy, hot, strangling things.  Sometimes I don't make it out of the parking lot before taking my tie off and unbuttoning that horrible top button.

Weddings, funerals, church.  15 years ago it used to be weddings, funerals, church, job interviews - so life is slowly getting better.  One down, three to go.

The White Shirt is not just a church thing.

Businessmen, politicians, ambassadors, Teachers, all kinds of professionals... wear The White Shirt for success.

The White Shirt is a blank canvass.  It doesn't distract, it doesn't make a statement.  It is a respectful and humble color as it doesn't try to draw attention to the shirt nor the wearer by itself.  A solemn expression with a white shirt projects solemnity in a manner truer than a solemn expression with a loud color shirt.  And because it is a blank canvass, it can be a vehicle for projecting competence, efficiency, confidence. elegance, and good taste... as befits the image projected by the wearer. 

Whether one likes it or not, an image (and the accompanying preconceived impression) is projected by a person at first SIGHT.  It is unavoidable.  That image is something you want to control because it is much harder to change one's perception than to give a fresh impression.  Therefore, dressing appropriately is not only advisable, it is compulsory.  A person wanting to project elegance wearing a bright green shirt is not always going to achieve it.  A person wanting to exude confidence wearing a yellow shirt is not always going to achieve it.  A white shirt says nothing - it doesn't bring a person's visual field to the shirt.  Therefore, the impression that is portrayed is SOMETHING ELSE other than an impression made by the shirt.

So, when you want to dress to impress for a job interview or a promotion... bring out The White Shirt... you want to meet a foreign dignitary... bring out The White Shirt.  You want to address a room of people in a political campaign... bring out The White Shirt.  You want to meet new clients for your business.. bring out The White Shirt.  These are occassions where you want to send a clear message from your persona rather than your shirt.

My husband is a big shot manager who used to be a runway model - he loves his clothes - half his closet are different styles of white shirts... dress shirts, casual shirts, formal shirts, t-shirts... all white.  And then he has all kinds of colors in the other half that he wears according to what he wants to portray... Blue is the favorite color of a lot of people - male or female - in a lot of cultures.  It is friendly but authoritative.  Police Officers wear blue to project this image.  My husband wears blue a lot on occasions when he doesn't wear white.  For sports, he wears team colors.  But, parties, informal shindigs, going to the mall... he wears his fun shirts - a myriad of colors to project his mood or his personality, the occassion, and the season.

So, saying, "I'll never wear a white shirt" out of rebellion is fine... just make sure you know what that rebellion is projecting...

So, saying, "I'll never wear a white shirt" out of rebellion is fine... just make sure you know what that rebellion is projecting...

Is rebellion fine? I guess if one is rebelling against evil. I'm not sure rebelling against the church and/or the authorities of the church qualifies as "fine" though.

Handbook 2 20.4.1: Ties and white shirts are recommended because they add to the dignity of the ordinance. However, they should not be required as a mandatory prerequisite for a priesthood holder to participate. Nor should it be required that all be alike in dress and appearance. Bishops should use discretion when giving such guidance to young men, taking into account their financial circumstances and maturity in the Church.

Handbook 2 20.4.1: Ties and white shirts are recommended because they add to the dignity of the ordinance. However, they should not be required as a mandatory prerequisite for a priesthood holder to participate. Nor should it be required that all be alike in dress and appearance. Bishops should use discretion when giving such guidance to young men, taking into account their financial circumstances and maturity in the Church.

Handbook 2.....looks like I'll wear my pink shirts and bow ties with impunity.

The ebb and flow of dress in the church has changed over the years.  There was a time when in many parts of the church the sacrament was overly ritualized.  Dress was mandatory, and the manner of passing the sacrament was regimented.  

Unfortunately certain things have become ingrained in the LDS culture.  If I were called to be a member of the 70, or stake president I would probably wear a white shirt.  A member of the Bishopric.... probably not.  

I wear a white shirt almost every Sunday. It's called a Guayabera. No tie.

I'm looking for other colors for this style shirt.

In Latin America this style is considered formalwear. It's comfortable. The finest shirts are made of linen, and this is the kind I wear.

Living near Silicon Valley I have found that it's very liberating to get away from the necktie popularized and practically invented, by Beau Brummel over 200 years ago.

I always wear a white shirt and a tie with my suit. I personally have done this since returning home from my mission. My final interview with Mission President he challenged me to maintain a missionary image upon my return home. I accepted the challenge and have done so ever since. This is my choice.

Not wearing or refusing to wear a white shirt is rebelling against the church/authorities of the church?

Openly flouting an apostle's (or a group of apostles') recommended course of action based on nothing more than "you're not authoritative, and I don' wanna, and I don' haveta, and I'm not gonna" may not be rebellion.  But it's kinda snotty, if you ask me.

I don't like to wear white shirts.  First, I often have to go running around the stake fixing computers and sometimes, I have to reach into dusty, dirty closets.  Also, my tummy sticks out so it rubs againsts things and gets dirty.  Besides, I think I look better in blue shirts.  And no, I don't wear suits.  I don't like them, I don't like wearing coats.

Openly flouting an apostle's (or a group of apostles') recommended course of action based on nothing more than "you're not authoritative, and I don' wanna, and I don' haveta, and I'm not gonna" may not be rebellion.  But it's kinda snotty, if you ask me.

How, exactly, do you define rebellion if not "you're not authoritative, and I don' wanna, and I don' haveta, and I'm not gonna" doesn't qualify? :)

How, exactly, do you define rebellion if not "you're not authoritative, and I don' wanna, and I don' haveta, and I'm not gonna" doesn't qualify? :)

I would define "rebellion" as acting in willful disregard of a clear imperative; not just a recommendation (however well-informed or well-intended that recommendation may be). 

But snottiness often begets outright rebellion--as the recent OrdainWomen brouhaha should remind us.  ("Patriarchy bingo" as the attention activity for your first discussion?  Really, ladies?)

I would define "rebellion" as acting in willful disregard of a clear imperative; not just a recommendation (however well-informed or well-intended that recommendation may be). 

But snottiness often begets outright rebellion--as the recent OrdainWomen brouhaha should remind us.  ("Patriarchy bingo" as the attention activity for your first discussion?  Really, ladies?)

I don't think it's about action or about whether the directive is imperative or recommended. Attitude is what determines rebellion - at least in terms of the gospel. A rebellious attitude is the sin...the rest is meaningless. White shirt, blue shirt...whatever.

"Ties and white shirts are recommended because they add to the dignity of the ordinance. However, they should not be required as a mandatory prerequisite for a priesthood holder to participate." Maybe you read the quote from handbook 2 differently than I do? Does it seem odd to anyone they they even had to mention the topic?

My Priesthood is not diminished, I am not less worthy, I am not less eligible to participate in the church because I won't wear a white shirt. It's not snotty, it's not rebellious. It's I'm tired of hearing that it's a requirement.