History of the White shirt

Forgot to add the comments on the Uniform section befor eI posted it.

uniforms 

Earl  Jay  Glade,  a  Melchizedek  Priesthood  holder  and  a  leader  over  the 
deacons  of  the  Highland  Park  Ward,  first  introduced  the  “white  shirt-black 
tie system” at a priesthood convention in Salt Lake City. 15  According to Glade, 
uniforms  were  not  “just  any  old  shirt,  any  old  sweater,  [or]  any  old  coat,”  but 
rather  identical  white  shirts  and  bow  ties;  he  felt  they  were  the  solution  for 
“building morale in deacon’s quorum work.” 16  The idea of uniforms was received 
enthusiastically by other deacons quorum leaders and spread until a number of 
local ward units adopted their own uniform dress code for young men passing the 
sacrament. 17

Although uniforms varied from ward to ward, bow ties became a distinc-
tive characteristic of deacons quorums in the 1930s. Why bow ties? According to Earl Jay Glade, matching bow ties would “do more to build morale and pride in 
organization-membership, than a 10,000 word lecture.” 18  
Studies in organizational behavior confirm the effect of uniforms. First, uni-
forms “elicit psychological processes that inspire compliance.” 19  Thus, those who 
wear “organizationally designated attire are psychologically in a position of having 
complied with one organizational standard. Such employees can maintain cogni-
tive consistency by fulfilling other organizational expectations.” 20  In other words, 
uniforms act as “situational cues” that de-individuate employees, bringing them 
to focus on, and fulfill, assignments related to the uniform. The individual often 
forgets personal preferences and concentrates on the job at hand when required 
to dress for work. “Once you put on that uniform . . . then you are certainly not the 
same person. You really become that role.” 21  

And you can access the link to read more.

When I first joined the site I started a topic about wearing trousers to church. There was a long discussion I took some of it on board ignored the rest. I wore trousers to church there was no real response, I was the only one but didn't think much of it. The something Anatess I believe said about following the norm can make others comfortable and keep the focus on what we're there to do. I know when I attended church I was worried about what people would think of a female wear mens trousers, rather than the sacrament or the lesson or strengthening my testimony and helping others. I now wear a skirt or female suit because fitting in and following the norm keeps my mind on what I am there to do.

Around the same time a simular thread was started about boys not wearing white shirts to pass the sacrament and in someones ward it had become the cool thing for the boys to wear bow ties to pass sacrament. At the time I thought big deal who cares but again something being out of the norm can draw yours and others attention away from the purpose of being there on a Sunday. 

Back on topic I think the white shirt thing is good because it is nutrel it doesn't scream look at me you just blend in and the atmosphe can stay on focus. At other events I think people should wear what they want in multi colours for all I care 

I grew up in the South where Sundays are "fashion shows" for the various non-LDS churches.  In some of them, the ladies go all out with elaborate hats and the men wear all kinds of ostentatious colors.  It's not unusual to see the discount stores in African-American neighborhoods selling men's suits that are fluorescent green and purple.  The clothing worn becomes the object of gossip for the next week.  

In other non-LDS churches, there has been a movement away from formality, dignity, and reverence.  They have rock "praise bands" with loud guitars, amps, and drums.  The worshipers come to church in shorts, jeans, and whatever.  Reverence is not even a consideration. There is no expectation of hearing the "still, small voice" of the Spirit.  

In Virginia, there was one nudist church!  The ultimate in casual wear...

Our standard is that we should be modest, unpretentious, and subdued.  Our purpose at our meetings is to worship the Lord and make him the focus, not our apparel.  Do we always succeed in this?  Not always, because humans are weak.  Some people want to be the center of attention and be a distraction.  But we have a standard we try to maintain and that is to downplay our apparel rather than to play it up.

We often don't realize that what we do sets us apart from other churches in positive ways.  I've had nonmember visitors tell me that they liked the absence of the Sunday fashion show.  Our dress at church is largely "neutral"  and forgettable--like the Men in Black.   :)

I have some thoughts on what Spamlds said.

People outside the loop might find the African-American Sunday dress culture to be flamboyant, but that's just what it is, culture. I remember having gone to a funeral of a co-worker, obviously not a joyous occasion, and one of the attending guests who is African-American wore a bright yellow dress with a multi-coloured design flashed across it. This wasn't the first time I'd seen that, however, I'd seen her "Sunday best" type attire before, and typically it was bold and vibrant. If you go to Africa, a lot of their clothing - especially traditional - is very colourful and loud. This isn't mean as a "look at me look at me", it is simply a cultural thing. Just something to keep note of when we see our African and African-American brothers and sisters.

This thread reminds me of this article. Good read.

Formalism in the Sacrament.

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1021&context=imwjournal

Enjoyed this article.  I read it out loud to my husband.  He liked it too.  There are some customs that I still remember-the awkward left hand behind the back, the stiff posture, lining up from the stand point of height.