your brother from the philippines

Giotto

hello everyone, i'm an elder from the philippines. I was called to serve as a missionary in adelaide australia mission. My said date to report to the new zealand mtc is may 22, 2014. sadly, it was delayed and rescheduled to july 3, 2014. And guess what, it was move again. the travel department doesn't answer my question yet. the sole reason of my delay is my visa.

everyone is saying it has a purpose why im being delayed.

I ask myself am I not worthy enough?

or do I still lack knowledge in order to serve my mission well?

I asked my leaders if I lack something and they said that it really has a purpose.

I just want to share to you guys here that I am troubled and feel regret why is this happening.

well enough with that, I hope I could get some nice help with the people here and get some nice help to strengthen my faith and knowledge about the gospel. :)

There is so much that goes on in the background (politics, regulation, etc) in order to allow missionaries to serve in other countries. So many missionaries in Florida are being called to Brazil and they are not able to get their visas. Even my wife who served in Brazil was sent for several months to Philadelphia to serve while she waited for her visa. One of the missionaries in our ward is also waiting to go to Brazil and was called to this area (we have a split ward, two simultaneous sacrament meetings one in Portuguese and one in English) to serve while he waited.

It's not uncommon to wait for these things. You being the most worthy person on the planet won't force a government and it's employees to submit your visa any faster.

Service requires patience and the ability to not take things personally. <-- A fundamental principle and the first lesson most missionaries learn.

See...your mission is paying off already.   :D

Hiya Giotto!  Mabuhay, kababayan!

Just hang in there... patience is a virtue.  In the meantime, there are tons of people in your ward that need your service...

hello everyone, i'm an elder from the philippines. I was called to serve as a missionary in adelaide australia mission. My said date to report to the new zealand mtc is may 22, 2014. sadly, it was delayed and rescheduled to july 3, 2014. And guess what, it was move again. the travel department doesn't answer my question yet. the sole reason of my delay is my visa.

everyone is saying it has a purpose why im being delayed.

I ask myself am I not worthy enough?

or do I still lack knowledge in order to serve my mission well?

I asked my leaders if I lack something and they said that it really has a purpose.

I just want to share to you guys here that I am troubled and feel regret why is this happening.

well enough with that, I hope I could get some nice help with the people here and get some nice help to strengthen my faith and knowledge about the gospel. :)

about this, the travel department asked me if I would choose to serve for the mean time within the area but I am confuse, if its really my decision to temporarily serve? because the mission call i receive is that Im going to serve on the other country. Is it not their decision to make me serve here temporarily.

thank you anatess for your kind words. I always get a lot of disappointments from my branch, they are always asking me "why are you still here" . and some often said, "maybe you have done something wrong thats why you can't go to your mission" .

Re-read your letter. Your call is to be a missionary. Your assignment is to serve in Adelaide. Assignments can change.

I would encourage you to start your service ASAP, even if it's not in the area you first thought you'd be going to. If they are offering you a temporary assignment, I would say "take it".

The reason people say "there's a reason"... is not because of anything negative.  (Okay, it shouldn't be.)

Sometimes it isn't until after events have happened that you see there was a divine purpose behind these things.  Would you meet a family that responds better to you than another missionary that you would not have met if you had begun your service asap?  

Sometimes, things just happen and we'll see how much better things are after the trial of our faith.

So hold on, and keep reading and applying your scripture study.  The best you can do is be close to the spirit, so you can share that spirit with others whom you serve and teach.

I wouldn't stress over it, these things do happen for a reason, but there is no divine purpose behind it. Bureaucracy and government efficiency are the reasons, politics plays a large roll also.

You are not unworthy, it's not because you lack knowledge, it just is. Relax, serve locally if you want to and be patient

The same happened to my nephew. He was called to Brazil and has had a heck of a time getting a visa. Eventually he was assigned to a mission in our country until that's ironed out. He's been out for over 6 months and is still waiting to go to Brazil, but still serving faithfully where he is. It's just red tape- not a reflection on you! Be patient. :)

When I attended Ricks College in the mid 70's, we had a couple of Elders that were called to Brazil.  They spent almost their entire mission in Idaho because back then it was taking well over a year to get visas to Brazil.  Some never got them.

My thoughts are that many say "It's for a purpose" because they don't have another answer and that's the easiest answer to come up with.

thanks guys for the comments and suggestions you've made. I texted the travel department that I choose to wait again for my visa, if it happens that it will not turn out again. i'll choose to serve temporarily in my area. for the mean time , i'm happy to work as the branch mission leader and help the missionaries in my branch,