Adjustments made for more effective team work between missionaries and local leaders

Maureen

Elder Nelson said, “In order to accomplish this team effort more effectively ... we announce four adjustments to the teaching process, designed to offer more help for our new members.

1. Missionaries will teach “Lesson 5: Laws and Ordinances” in Chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel both before and after baptism.

2. Mission presidents will actively teach and re-teach the Lord’s standard for baptism, as recorded in Doctrine and Covenants, section 20, verse 37. "Two phrases are particularly important in preparing the investigator for the covenant of baptism: "having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins..."

3. "When possible, missionaries will work closely with each new member for at least three to four months after baptism and continue to keep close to them for at least a year and hopefully for many years and even generations. …"

4. “Missionaries will take the lead in re-teaching all five of the lessons in Preach My Gospel after baptism.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605731/Adjustments-made-for-more-effective-team-work-between-missionaries-and-local-leaders.html?pg=all

IMO, #3 is a good change.

M.  

One problem I faced on my mission was the Elders before me, did little to nothing to update the area book, and even if they did, I had a hard time reading it. Hopefully with computers, Elders will now type the information, instead of scribbling it out. What I would like to see, would be different areas with pre-typed questions for the Elders to answer, like when they were contacted, baptized, temple, and non-religious info, like jobs, what they like to serve for dinner. This way the Elders won’t have to guess what to write down about investigators. 

One problem I faced on my mission was the Elders before me, did little to nothing to update the area book, and even if they did, I had a hard time reading it. Hopefully with computers, Elders will now type the information, instead of scribbling it out. What I would like to see, would be different areas with pre-typed questions for the Elders to answer, like when they were contacted, baptized, temple, and non-religious info, like jobs, what they like to serve for dinner. This way the Elders won’t have to guess what to write down about investigators.

You can only hope some of the Elders will take the time to fill it out on line.