Testimony Meeting Unique to Mormonism?

jranwar

Hey all,

I find fast and testimony meetings to be both entertaining and usually edifying (if you know what I mean). I wonder if similar meetings are held in other religious group, or if they are fairly unique to Mormonism.

Here are a few aspects of fast and testimony meeting that I see as significant to hold as a measuring stick against other religious meetings (though I don't claim this list to be comprehensive; if you think I'm way off base with these feel free to let me know your thoughts):

1. All Members Invited: A chance for virtually any member of a congregation to share. That is, not only do those holding leadership positions within the religious organization preach, the “common-folk” do as well in an official, formal, and significant meeting.

2. Children: This is a more narrow case of the previous. Not only are adults and adolescents invited to participate, but children are welcome to share as well (I'm aware some guidance has been suggested by the First Presidency on this matter).

3. “I know”: The phrase “I know that” in conjunction with statements of truth. From a philosophical perspective, these are incredibly bold epistemological statements.

4. Regularly Held: Once each month for us. Seems to denote a high priority for these sorts of meetings.

I'm fairly culturally and religiously unlearned. Curious if anyone holds insight on other religions (Christian or otherwise) which hold similar meetings? My first thoughts turn to non-denominational or Unitarian Universalist types of thinking, though I feel that criterion number 3 ("I know") is a bit too rigid in such a setting.

Insights appreciated :)

Guest LiterateParakeet

I don't know if this fits your criteria, but about a year ago I went to a Christian based writer's conference.  (It was awesome, BTW).  At the end, they had something very much like a testimony meeting.  Everyone that had been at the conference was invited.  The mic was open, anyone could come up and share their feelings.  Many "testimonies" shared how they had felt closer to God during the conference, empowered in doing His will in their lives etc.  It was very nice, and I remember thinking at the time..."very much like a testimony meeting."

Another experience...when my nephew and his best friend died in a car accident together (the driver fell asleep at the wheel).  At the friend's funeral, after the service there was an "open mic" and people came up and shared how he had touched their lives.  

The Society of Friends (Quakers) regularly hold unprogrammed worship services (similar to our testimony meetings). The congregation sits in silence until the Spirit moves one of them to speak. Sometimes the meeting will be held in silence for the entire duration. Sometimes it's filled with messages. All in all, it's supposed to be Spirit-driven (whether in silence or in sermon).

By the way, we've had a Quaker president, so a Mormon is bound to be right around the corner right?