Like a Girl

John11111

• 2 weeks later...

My 10 year old boy came into the house screaming with a high pitched screech which really annoyed me and I said, “You will not scream like a little girl.”  Yes it was pejorative and I will admit to that.  My wife turned me onto an Always commercial that millions and millions have watched that talks about girls being labeled as “Running like a girl,” “throwing like a girl” and “fighting like a girl” and at a young age when girls hit puberty how negatively they respond to that label.  Please talk about your thoughts about this concept and your response to being labeled “like  a girl.”  I for one like girls.  They are soft, beautiful, delicate and the way God made you.   

I wonder if there is anything that boys do that is commensurate to the negative label I gave my son as screaming like a girl? Do any of you ladies remember being labeled like that and made you feel bad about being a girl?  I think girls, like my daughter, is strong, confident AND beautiful.  She is graceful and smooth.  She is tough and a leader.  I see nothing wrong with her being a girl.  I want my boys to grow to be strong men of God, leaders, able to run their households as men.  I’d love you hear your thoughts on my assertions please.  Thank you

• 1 month later...

My 10 year old boy came into the house screaming with a high pitched screech which really annoyed me and I said, “You will not scream like a little girl.”  Yes it was pejorative and I will admit to that.  My wife turned me onto an Always commercial that millions and millions have watched that talks about girls being labeled as “Running like a girl,” “throwing like a girl” and “fighting like a girl” and at a young age when girls hit puberty how negatively they respond to that label.  Please talk about your thoughts about this concept and your response to being labeled “like  a girl.”  I for one like girls.  They are soft, beautiful, delicate and the way God made you.   

I wonder if there is anything that boys do that is commensurate to the negative label I gave my son as screaming like a girl? Do any of you ladies remember being labeled like that and made you feel bad about being a girl?  I think girls, like my daughter, is strong, confident AND beautiful.  She is graceful and smooth.  She is tough and a leader.  I see nothing wrong with her being a girl.  I want my boys to grow to be strong men of God, leaders, able to run their households as men.  I’d love you hear your thoughts on my assertions please.  Thank you

I've never been a girl, but I have heard it mentioned that some girls "dress like a boy", and "sweat like a boy (or man)". I wonder if it's comparable? I wonder if any women will chime in?

Mordor..when will you learn?  Women don't sweat. They perspire.

No, women 'glow.'  :D

I guess I was told that sitting with your legs spread was sitting like a boy. I don't recall any other admonitions of that type - but I came from a family of 5 girls; we didn't talk about boys much. I will say that once my son and nephew were little boys, my mother would always spout some crap about 'dirty boys,' etc Girls get dirty too and a few times I had to tell her to stop putting my son down because he's a boy.

For my recent birthday, I bought myself the boxed set of Hell's Kitchen Seasons 1-10. It is uncensored (I'm a big girl, I can take it).  What has been concerning to me is not the cursing, but the constant, constant, use of the words 'girl' and 'b...h' by the men to refer to mistakes, bad behavior, etc.  I wonder if these men talk to the women in their lives this way? When they make a mistake or are angry about others not owning up to their mistakes, they usually say things like 'take it like a man' or 'I'm going to act like a man.'

Like everyone else, sometimes I have to take garbage from people and I just suck it up. I act like a mature adult. Maturity is not the sole province of males. Complaining and wimping out are not behaviors limited to females.

I guess what surprises me is that the contestants are generally from 22-37. You'd think these young people wouldn't harbor - and certainly not say out loud -  such blatant sexist attitudes. So much for the woman's movement...