When to transition to a minivan?

Bini

The minivan has made it onto my consideration list for my next vehicle. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I love the idea of power sliding doors, and cargo space non-existent in other modes of transport. So right now I've pretty much narrowed it down to two vehicles: Honda Pilot, and Honda Odyssey. I really like the responsive handling of the Pilot, its off-road capabilities, and its rugged design is quite pleasing. But I'd opt for the Odyssey solely for its convenient power sliding doors, and low ground clearance, which makes in and out easy for little ones. We are a family of three. Any suggestions? I (we) have decided to buy, so this next vehicle will be for the long haul, and we won't be looking to get into anything again for a long LONG time.

My wife and I have absolutely loved our odyssey. We bought it when our car was written off after my wife was broad-sided around five years ago. It does almost as well for gas mileage as our previous cavalier did and we love having the room to throw stuff in and go. Ours is a 1999 model and hasn't had any thing major go wrong (Knocking on wood) in it's 15 year life.

As for the power doors they can be as much of a nuisance as a blessing at times. They are real slow which means if you have multiple stops and kids want to jump out quick and return that they won't work so well, and the vehicle needs to be in park for them to open and close so you can't just pull over and open the doors and be on your way. These are generally minor things though as long as you remember them. More annoyingly they can sometimes get the sensors dirty and think they can't close. In a pinch you can switch the doors to manual mode and close them by hand until you can get them cleaned.

All in all I think it's a great vehicle.

I agree with SpiritDragon re the doors.  About 3 years ago I was sitting in the back of a 2001 Odyssey when we saw a tractor-trailer ahead of us roll over.  We pulled over to give assistance, and I lost a good 10-15 seconds waiting for that dag-blasted door to open.  That pretty much killed the charm of the Odyssey for me--IMHO, those power doors are a safety issue in an emergency.  (Also, anecdotally, pretty much everyone I can think of who has an Odyssey had to have the transmission re-done at some point).

We drive a 2001 Toyota Sienna (with MANUAL doors!) and have had no complaints except for a pitifully small luggage area which I think has been re-designed in later models.  Our next minivan will probably also be a Sienna.  For gas mileage/efficiency reasons, I wouldn't go with an SUV unless I was planning on regularly using it to pull a boat or other heavy trailer.

We had a dodge grand caravan that lasted 250,000 + miles.  We gave our daughter our last one that has 110,000K +.  With that we are done with the minivan days.  Yeah!!!!!!!!!!  Getting rid of the minivan has made me feel like I have reclaimed part of myself.  I don't have anything fancy, just a Ford Explorer, but I love it.

Spirit Dragon and JAG, have you driven your minivans to campsites? If yes, how did your Odyssey/Sienna handle the off-road without AWD/4x4? Also... how slow is slooooow for power sliding doors? I guess I didn't notice either vehicle being particularly slow in opening and closing, but then again, I am really taken by these practical minivans.

Irishcolleen, I hear ya! Honestly I never envisioned myself EVER driving a minivan, but they make sense for family life, and being in Utah I certainly wouldn't be the only mother driving one! I really just adore those power sliding doors. I wish they had something like that on SUVs.

Spirit Dragon and JAG, have you driven your minivans to campsites? If yes, how did your Odyssey/Sienna handle the off-road without AWD/4x4? Also... how slow is slooooow for power sliding doors? I guess I didn't notice either vehicle being particularly slow in opening and closing, but then again, I am really taken by these practical minivans.

I think a good 10-15 seconds, at least for the 2001; and no amount of pulling/tugging/shoving could make it go faster.  I really felt trapped.  Not a happy place to be.

I wouldn't take my Sienna off-roading or mudding or anything; but I've been on (dry) dirt roads en route to a campground or extended family cabin and didn't have any problems.  I also haven't really missed AWD/4X4 in the Utah snows, either.

We have an odyssey, love it, 11 years old. Did have some of the transmission overhauled but it was a recall issue. We got the towing package too. Had a Toyota Sienna too and liked it. 

Has been all over the US, on campouts, etc. Husband asked me if I wanted to downsize since kids all gone and said no.  Just so nice for hauling stuff and good in the snow. I could keep going...:)

Irishcolleen, I hear ya! Honestly I never envisioned myself EVER driving a minivan, but they make sense for family life, and being in Utah I certainly wouldn't be the only mother driving one! I really just adore those power sliding doors. I wish they had something like that on SUVs.

We love to go camping in our minivan, but we've never really taken it anywhere I'd consider very "off-road," the closest thing to that being driving down fields-with-tire-ruts on-either-side type roads and somewhat rough dirt/gravel roads. I really shy away from large puddles because it is hard to tell how deep they are.

During the winter the traction control works wonders in drifted snow piles.

The Mazda 5 sports van is a good gasoline vehicle choice.  It seats 6 including the driver.  Maintenance records are pretty good on them.  It gets about 25 miles to the gallon.  I personally dislike vehicles that do not have good fuel mileage.  I forsee $4.50 per gallon prices.

I am looking into a compressed natural gas car since we have so many fueling stations in Utah.  It costs about $1.75 per gallon equivilant presently to drive.  Only downside is you cannot do a cross country trip with one.  I think there is a future in natural gas.  You can create it out of waste and feces and it burns so much cleaner than gasoline.

Thanks Spirit Dragon and JAG. I assumed as much, but was interested in hearing from actual minivan owners. I think as long as it can make it on a smooth-ish unpaved road to a campsite, that's good enough since we have a Toyota Tundra that we take for actual off-roading adventures, except it's not the most comfy ride with toddler and car seat in tow.

Still Small Voice, I did drive a Mazda 5 for fun, and it sure was fun! Super affordable! You can drive away in a new one, grand touring, for about $25K! Granted, it doesn't have navigation or backup cam, but those aren't important to everyone. As much as I had fun zipping around town in one, it lacked power and room, despite seating 6 passengers. Ultimately, we need something that has some guts for our gear, and enough room for the occasional carpooling and crated dog (or three). I did like the Mazda CX9 GT but in the end it got terrible gas mileage, and wasn't made for hauling stuff, still a bit cramped. Also, the crash test rating on it was just decent.

We switched from a 2007 pontiac g6 (horrible gas mileage for a mid-sized sedan) to a 2011 toyota sienna after the birth of our second child. I absolutely love our van. We have taken it up mountains on decent roads and routinely drive during heavy rainfall. Our gas mileage is actually better in our van than in our old car. As to the power sliding doors I do not find them slow. I sometimes have to grab my three year old out of the way after he insists on "pushing the button" to close them. We were torn between the toyota and the honda and we decided on the toyota because it had everything we wanted for less money than the similarly equipped honda.

Happy car shopping!

Mags

Minivan.  Ugh.  I'm glad I don't have one anymore.  I used to have a Mazda MPV.  Best minivan ever.

Yes, very practical - especially the sliding doors - for dropping/picking up kids from the car-rider lane... and wiggling into tight parking spaces.  I never felt it to be too slow to open/close.  I would pull up the car-rider lane to pick up my 1 kid and 5 of them climb into the van... I had to sit there until 4 gets off or I get to talk to their parents.  That made me wish I had a Honda CRV that has fewer seating...

Okay, Hondas are awesome.  My sister has an Odyssey that's over a decade old - no problems.  I drove it last week and it still ran great.  My brother had a CRV that's also over a decade old when he traded it in for a Pilot.  Both CRV and Pilots are great cars.

As far as rear cameras... I think there's a bill that passed (JAG?) that now requires all cars to have the rear camera.  When you're driving through car-riders, parks, anywhere where lots of kids are... that rear camera is a God-send... you won't believe how many times that thing has saved me from running over a little kid that I can't see through the rear window...

The trick to cars is - it will remain awesome, great, wonderful cars if you follow the maintenance schedule...

We have a Chrysler Town and Country we love it. I don't know why we didn't do the minivan sooner.

Btw, in every minivan I've meet, the power doors can be overridden to go manual. Ours has a little switch up front.