Members Who Disrupt Lessons at Church

We have a member in our ward who makes Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society "interesting".  What I mean is that she makes everyone uncomfortable with her comments that are basically just pushing her agenda and derailing the lesson.

For example:  The other day in RS she blurts out that she thinks it was a mistake for the church to excommunicate Kate Kelly.  I spent the whole time biting my tongue, but wanted to say, "And a lot of us think she's a wolf in sheep's clothing and that it was necessary to protect others she might lead astray!"  I didn't want to be contentious though, so I just kept my mouth shut . I felt bad for the teacher though.  It's hard to know what to say.

What do you do when a person repeatedly takes the lesson in this sort of direction?  If I were teaching, I don't know if I could have masked my irritation.

Why is her point any lesser than yours? Perhaps your opinion would have irritated her.

I have never been one for sitting in a room being droned at like I am or the subject matter is a robot or mundane subject. Lessons are best when a range of opinions and thoughts are shared

The subject of one's excommunication should never be a part of a Relief Society lesson or a Sunday School lesson.

Why is her point any lesser than yours? Perhaps your opinion would have irritated her.

I have never been one for sitting in a room being droned at like I am or the subject matter is a robot or mundane subject. Lessons are best when a range of opinions and thoughts are shared

I would never bring up the subject in RS like she did.  She opened that can of worms knowing it was going to irritate the majority of the women in the room.  We come to church to be uplifted - not listen to that. 

The subject of one's excommunication should never be a part of a Relief Society lesson or a Sunday School lesson.

Right on. The teacher's response is easy. "That's none of our business."

As far as disruptive members, seems like there's always one of them, right? If one feels strongly enough about it, mention it to the bishop. Otherwise, ignore it.

Perhaps one way would be, if you know you have a person that constantly disrupts the lesson, is not open it up to voluntary comments.  Maybe you could assign a few people in advance to share their thoughts or feelings on a particular part of the lesson.  That would require really planning in advance but it would keep the subject of the lesson on track.

Preplanning who can ask questions? Wow inclusive.

If we are to believe the woman really just blurted that out while the lesson happened a quick that isn't appropriate thank you.

BTW Kate wasn't excommunicated

I never said anything about preplanning who can ask questions.  I said comments.  Which could include experiences etc.

You seem to be very defensive of Kate Kelly.  Does your username stand for Ordain Women For Life?

One of my friends teaches gospel doctrine.  She is a big talker, the ward has lots of commentators... her go-to is the aforementioned "planned sharing".  It keeps the lesson on track beautifully.  Sure, she still allows for the spur-of-the-moment comments, but those don't take up nearly as much as the lesson as they would before. 

Now, I also love a good time to debate and share opinions, but that defeats the entire purpose of having lessons.  OW, you seem to be suggesting we do in fact get rid of lessons and just have open debate time for two hours each Sunday.  I say do that on your own time.

Applogies I am behind on my LDS news she was only having disciplinary action last time I checked. Which answers the defensive question, nope don't care for the woman myself and wouldn't want the priesthood if it came with endless doughnuts. The only part of the priesthood I am slightly envious of is the fact my husband got to bless our son and will get to baptise him. But I got to carry him and be go to parent so not a big issue. I don't think lessons should be turned into debates but experiences should be encouraged but I rarely teach so may be that would change my opinion if I did

My name stands for Ormskil Warriors for life, it is my husbands Viking re-enactment group and I stupidly left him to name me while I went off to do something.

Posted · Hidden by Just_A_Guy, July 8, 2014 - Irrelevant now that poster has clarified her supposed intent
Hidden by Just_A_Guy, July 8, 2014 - Irrelevant now that poster has clarified her supposed intent
BTW Kate wasn't excommunicated

Not that it's particularly germane to this thread; but I suspect this is a reference to the "but the council didn't follow procedure, so the results are invalid!" canard that's been working its way around certain circles.

Meh.  Whitmer and Rigdon thought their councils were invalid, too.

Applogies I am behind on my LDS news she was only having disciplinary action last time I checked. Which answers the defensive question, nope don't care for the woman myself and wouldn't want the priesthood if it came with endless doughnuts. The only part of the priesthood I am slightly envious of is the fact my husband got to bless our son and will get to baptise him. But I got to carry him and be go to parent so not a big issue. I don't think lessons should be turned into debates but experiences should be encouraged but I rarely teach so may be that would change my opinion if I did

My name stands for Ormskil Warriors for life, it is my husbands Viking re-enactment group and I stupidly left him to name me while I went off to do something.

Oh I absolutely believe that experiences should be part of lessons if they have to do with the subject at hand.  Some people have marvelous experiences that can be such a wonderful part of the lesson.  

You mentioned endless doughnuts.  Make them maple bars and I might have to think about it.  I kid.  :)

Oh I absolutely believe that experiences should be part of lessons if they have to do with the subject at hand.  Some people have marvelous experiences that can be such a wonderful part of the lesson.  

You mentioned endless doughnuts.  Make them maple bars and I might have to think about it.  I kid.   :)

This is a deep and dark secret, and I'll probably get excommunicated myself for letting it slip, but we have an endless maple bar buffet each week in our priesthood meeting. It's part of the oath and covenant.

:P

Two things:

First, here's a wonderful article from Orson Scott Card on dealing with difficult people who disrupt meetings:

It's a matter of how, not where, we serve

It's a good read.

Second, this is, by far, the coolest response to a moderator inquiry I've ever seen in my entire life:

High five to hubby! Don't feel stupid OW4lyf, you're in good company as people plagued with such spouses.  My wife is another one.    :)

My further views on the matter aren't so much strange opinions during lessons... but the fact they are during the lesson.  Say all you want about those magical epiphanies that can happen when one simply allows the lesson to go where it will, but I think those moments are few and far between.  The teacher took the time to prayerfully prepare a lesson--don't hijack it with some random thought that has nothing to do with anything. 

Two things:

First, here's a wonderful article from Orson Scott Card on dealing with difficult people who disrupt meetings:

It's a good read.

Second, this is, by far, the coolest response to a moderator inquiry I've ever seen in my entire life:

High five to hubby! Don't feel stupid OW4lyf, you're in good company as people plagued with such spouses.  My wife is another one.    :)

What a great article!  :D

My further views on the matter aren't so much strange opinions during lessons... but the fact they are during the lesson.  Say all you want about those magical epiphanies that can happen when one simply allows the lesson to go where it will, but I think those moments are few and far between.  The teacher took the time to prayerfully prepare a lesson--don't hijack it with some random thought that has nothing to do with anything. 

I don't mind it so much when people go off on tangents, but this lady is all about pot stirring.  It seems like she doesn't even come to class unless the topic is something she can turn into "gender equality". 

Two things:

It's a good read.

Well props to you too for fully owning "Loudmouth Mormon" before the name change.

I did wonder if she was just saying to be controversial. We had one like this who  would say the most contentious things to just get a raise. I got to admit I did find it amusing at times. Untill she said in a lesson on faith I believe "So what about the curse of Cain has heavenly father and the church rejected them? I lost my temper and just said yep GOD, THE CHURCH AND WE ARE ALL MASSIVE RACISISTS SO I WOULD LEAVE I WERE YOU. I am not proud but gets to the point where a joke has just gone to far. Like the time I looked down at my son and he was chewing on a clothes peg to find out that members were finding random pegs on them and around the area in sacrament meeting because one of the young men had decided 'pegging' people in sacrament was hilarious, it wasn't.