Beware Of This Scam

FiveNine

Long story short, scams and the scammers evolve with time. When one thing no longer works, they move onto something else.

I was contacted by a "Dupree Legal Services" that had been retained by a "Debt Collector" that was notorious for scamming. They threatened "Arbitrary" actions and said I would be liable for all legal proceedings if I did not contact them in regards to allegations of check fraud. This phone call took place (voicemail) 6/26. 

Now I have not written a check since 2006 so... Already fishy.

Fast forward to today, I receive a call from a blocked number. Different name, same thick southern accent voice that says my last name wrong. This time claiming to be a "Senior Claims Process Server" that has been "Retained" to serve me a summons with my upcoming court date. 

Both of my phones were called, and she plans to meet me at my old place of living on July 11th between 10AM and Noon. But also gave me the same phone number she had called from the first time and stated that I can call to have any questions answered.

She doesn't realize she called a Washington State Process Server, there is no such thing as a "Senior Claims Process Server". I called the local auditor and gave them her name and there is nobody by her name who is licensed to serve process in the State of Washington. 

And I know not of any process server who will call ahead of time to announce their arrival... And they have a pretty crappy 'skiptracer' if they are pulling up an old address that was incomplete. 

On my personal line I have a fake name in the voicemail box, so putting personal information on a voicemail box like that I believe violates some laws. But regardless I am going to file a complaint with the attorney general about it.

If she calls again, i'll probably light her up over it. Apparently impersonating process servers, police officers, fbi agents, law firms and even judges is a pretty big thing right now I have read. Disturbing, and annoying. 

The only debt I currently hold is a parking ticket I have been fighting with the City of Portland for nearly four years now, and that debt is held by the city since I am constantly nagging them for a photograph of the ticket on my vehicle but they refuse to provide it. 

So yea... Just.. Obviously pay your debts but when something is fishy its best to investigate. The issue is far bigger than I was aware out there.

I have an app called Mr. Number which tells me what other people have had a phone number be, so I avoid all scams. 

Also, I would say, "Please be aware that I am recording this conversation."  That usually leads them to hang up.  I would contact the police if they know your address or personal information.  That's just scary.

I've had collectors call and really impersonate a legal process.  The collection account is called a "docket"... they threaten to serve me with papers, etc.  I just tell them to send everything to me in writing as I don't take these calls.  Can't trust them as far as you can throw them.  Having been a moderator on a credit discussion forum, I know there's a lot of shady stuff out there - even if the debt is a true debt, you don't have to be abused or duped by a firm impersonating something that they are not.

I'm sure that quite a few are intimidated by such tactics and they pay up though.

I have an app called Mr. Number which tells me what other people have had a phone number be, so I avoid all scams. 

Also, I would say, "Please be aware that I am recording this conversation."  That usually leads them to hang up.  I would contact the police if they know your address or personal information.  That's just scary.

I use the Mr. Number app too.  It's been extremely useful.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard of another rip off that is going on, though I think it is more rare.  Some thieves are tying cans or something to a car.  When it makes noise as the person is driving the driver stops the car and then gets out.  When they are out of the car looking at their vehicle a car thief jumps in and drives off.  Don't leave your car keys in or your purse sitting on the front seat with the doors unlocked.  Most important though, be aware of your surroundings.

I've rec'd calls from unknown numbers and not picked them up. When I looked them up online, they appear to be scammers who say they're calling about a debt, but won't say what it is, won't agree to send anything, get names wrong, business names wrong, etc. They are driving people crazy.

I'm glad I have caller ID now. If I don't know the number, I don't pick up. Reputable businesses will leave a message. Relatives calling from strange numbers will leave a message. Criminals won't.

This probably isn't happening everywhere, but we're getting political research calls out here in Iowa. I made the mistake of answering one, now I think I'm on a list for everyone from the Greens to the Communist Party. I don't answer, but they sure are persistent.

You can look up a lot of numbers online. And if you pick up and one of these idiots starts some crap, hang up - although they probably will keep calling because now they know they have a real person on the other end.

That's why I like the app Mr. Number.  It tells you if the caller is a spammer.  People can write their own comments as well.  

But I, as a rule, don't answer calls from numbers that I don't know or anonymous or restricted.

I heard of another rip off that is going on, though I think it is more rare.  Some thieves are tying cans or something to a car.  When it makes noise as the person is driving the driver stops the car and then gets out.  When they are out of the car looking at their vehicle a car thief jumps in and drives off.  Don't leave your car keys in or your purse sitting on the front seat with the doors unlocked.  Most important though, be aware of your surroundings.

I pity the fool who tries that with me, nothing says natural selection better than staring down the barrel my friendly 9mm. One step towards me? Well.. the safety is off.. Turn and run? Live to be traded for a pack of smokes in jail by big bubba.

That's why I like the app Mr. Number.  It tells you if the caller is a spammer.  People can write their own comments as well.  

But I, as a rule, don't answer calls from numbers that I don't know or anonymous or restricted.

My issue is as a business owner it could be a potential new client needing process served, skip tracing done or a repo company needing me to run by a few addresses haha. Hard to not answer the phone.

My issue is as a business owner it could be a potential new client needing process served, skip tracing done or a repo company needing me to run by a few addresses haha. Hard to not answer the phone.

Obviously for a business owner it would be different.  That kind of goes without saying.