Missionaries and iPad minis...What's the impact?

mattador

Or the church could just provide mission presidents with the cash to buy the tablets they will get a discount on multi buts and they lend them to the missionaries and charge for missuse or careless damage

If I ever heard of the Church doing that, I'd be bothered!  When people sacrifice for something, they care more about it than if it's just handed to them (that's one reason why missionaries are encouraged to save for their mission in the first place).  And as far as fees for damage - my father-in-law told us of a missionary that trashed the car he was assigned but dad 'covered it' so he didn't learn a thing or give it a second thought.

Thanks for the education. Anyway it isn't really the point it is an expense essential or not that the missionaries don't need on top of everything.

Moving on from the cost. I can imagine these being misused the temptation will be great especially when the missionary is home sick and low to just pop on facebook or face timme. Also it would be very easy for them to be taken places where the missionary can be alone. Not saying they shouldn't have them just how will things like these be monitored. Also missionaries visiting poorer countries walking about with high end gadgets might as well put a beacon out for theievs

The iPad program was piloted in our Mission Area.  We've had iPads for over a year over here.

The iPads do not come with cellular service.  The missionary's dwelling is not equipped with internet service.  For a missionary to use the internet, he has to go to an open wi-fi zone.  A missionary cannot just pop into facebook or facetime because, first, they need wifi, second, they have to be accountable to their companion.

So, our missionaries are also Facebook and Mormon.org missionaries.  What this implies - there are 2 places that missionaries in our area are adviced to go to when they are on their online-proselyting time (they can't just do it anytime of day - it has to be in their mission calendars).  The most used is the Public Library (most public libraries in the USA have computers for public use as well as open wifi that are filtered by the authorities).  Another is the Mission Office and the other is the Ward Building (our ward building has wifi - you have to request for the password from the bishopric).  So, the missionaries are given their Facebook account - their account names are the exact same as their Name Tag.  They have the Elder or Sister in their names.  I know when a missionary serving in our Mission Area has gone home beause they remove the Elder/Sister from their names (by Mission Rules).  Everything they post is first reviewed and approved by their companion before they post it.  Every post that they receive are also reviewed and approved by their companion, otherwise, it is deleted.

In addition, their iPads are set so that they can't install nor remove an app.  The apps are installed/removed by the Mission Office.  Also, they are not to use the Camera unless their missionary companion approves of the photo.  I found this out when I tried to ask the missionary to take my "readthebook" photo.  She had to wait until her companion (who was 5 feet away talking to somebody) was with her and paying attention when she took the shot.

Can they do terrible things with the iPad?  Sure.  Just like they can do terrible things with their cars - it's very easy to drive to the movies with their cars.  But just like anything else, everything is simply a tool for good or ill.  If you're good whatever is in your hand will be used for the purposes of good.  If you're evil, whatever is in your hand will be used for the purposes of evil.  A scalpel in a doctor's hand can be used for surgery or for slitting somebody's throat.  We don't ban scalpels from doctors...

Or the church could just provide mission presidents with the cash to buy the tablets they will get a discount on multi buts and they lend them to the missionaries and charge for missuse or careless damage

You're all speaking as 'rich' westerners only $200 is a massive amount for a poor family. No they haven't but the expectation will probably be there.

Thanks for the education. Anyway it isn't really the point it is an expense essential or not that the missionaries don't need on top of everything. ...

It seems like it really is the point for you, since your next post brings it right back up.

I hope it takes off and they are subsidised but the multi million church who gets their service for free for 2 years.

Just because my avatar is incredibly wealthy, it doesn't mean that I or my family was. Please re-read how I told you I bought my mission bike, and how a number of others on my mission purchased theirs.

1. If it was absolutely unaffordable, the mission had a pool of bikes to loan you.
  2. Most of the time, there was a missionary leaving as you were coming who would sell you his bike at a generous discount (or even give it to you).
  3. If you didn't start off in a bike area, you could save up mission funds for it - so you didn't have to incur any additional expense for your mission.

The first and third methods did not involve the use of your own private bank account or that of your parents.

My favorite quote is this one:

it is an expense essential or not that the missionaries don't need on top of everything.

Essential or not? By definition if is essential, then the missionary does need it, even on top of everything.

Nice black and white thinking there people are not good or evil, everyone is a mixture.

We are talking about the iPad (or in the doctor's case the scalpel). 

I am merely pointing out to you that a Missionary (or a doctor) intent on doing bad things will do bad things.  A Missionary (or a doctor) intent on doing good things will do good.  The iPad (or the scalpel), therefore, does not make a Missionary (or a doctor) good or bad.  So, if we are worried that a Missionary wanting to do bad things will have an easier time of it because he has an iPad, the answer is not to take away the iPad from all the Missionaries - because the iPad is doing good things in the hands of the good Missionary.  The answer is to teach the Missionary not to want to do bad things.

I hope it takes off and they are subsidised but the multi million church who gets their service for free for 2 years.

I said this in my post.  The iPads DO NOT COME with service.  If they do come with service, the service is removed before they can use it for their missions.

And what's your point in defining the church as a "multi million" church?  Are you a member of the church?  If yes, then I would hope you know where the church money goes...

You're all speaking as 'rich' westerners only $200 is a massive amount for a poor family. No they haven't but the expectation will probably be there.

The article says the devices will be used in the US, Canada, Japan, and western Europe--throughout the first world, essentially.  It also says those who can't afford the devices will be offered assistance.

So, what was your complaint, exactly?

Yes, I can imagine the headlines now:

Mormon Church buys iPads for American teenagers as member children around the globe subsist in third-world conditions.

Carpers gonna carp.

Well I am yet to see a headline Mormon church sends aid to starving children round the world

Click on this link so you will finally see a headline that the LDS church sends aid around the world.  Oh, don't just click on it.  Read it from top to bottom.  You will note that the article covers 20 years of work plus info on the LDS version of ATMIT.

http://www.icatholic.org/article/catholic-relief-services-recognizes-church-of-jesus-5673287

Note that this headline is plastered on the Roman Catholic newspaper, not the LDS newspaper.  There's something to be said about that.

Isn't it wonderful how your eyes are given opportunities to open here in this little part of the internet called lds.net? ;)

Well I am yet to see a headline Mormon church sends aid to starving children round the world

Oh, I have to add this one... from the Philippine Inquirer.

Okay, so this is not just starving children but victims of Typhoon Yolanda:

http://business.inquirer.net/168288/what-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-lds-did-for-the-visayas

I love how the newscaster focused on the self-reliance aspect of LDS humanitarian aid.

Does that count?

I can go on and on with this one...

but maybe you should just do a google search on "atmit nigeria" or "atmit lds" and you should see all the articles about what LDS scientists are doing for starving children on the planet.

Of course that won't be a headline.  That stuff doesn't sell newspapers (what are those anymore?), magazines, or even get others to clue into the news.

You might see something on it here:  http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/world-report

But since that person is no longer here, maybe we can get back to the topic of Missionaries and iPads again?

My daughter is on a mission where they were pilots for the Ipad and Facebook.  They were also the only Mission that had laptops in their apartments with internet previous to this.  She is on Facebook and it is very well monitored.  The Ipads are checked by Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders.  My daughter says that the Ipads are so valuable in the work.  They can show the videos and other related materials so easily.  She also emails us using it. 

Must admit, I'm glad I didn't have to buy one though, that would have been difficult for us.   But the Church has said that they will help those that need the help.  The Ipad my daughter does have will have to be handed back to the Mission when she finishes and I imagine that it will be passed to the next Missionary that needs it.  The help is definitely there.

Posted · Hidden by estradling75, July 19, 2014 - Name calling is not allowed
Hidden by estradling75, July 19, 2014 - Name calling is not allowed

The troll is strong with this one.

Are we detecting bitterness in the tone ?

I think there's a heavy chip sitting on her shoulders.  It would have been great if we could figure out how it got there.  It just might give us some insight as to why a lot of Europeans share the sentiment.

I think there's a heavy chip sitting on her shoulders.  It would have been great if we could figure out how it got there.  It just might give us some insight as to why a lot of Europeans share the sentiment.

After living in Europe for two years I did not run into very many with a chip on their shoulder. I wonder if her corn flakes were stale. :)

By 2015, 32K more missionaries will have ipads.  The $400 cost will be covered by the missionaries and they of course take them home with them.  This will be missionaries that come from developed countries.

I didn't understand this part. 32K more missionaries from developed countries will have ipads and pay for it? What about missionaries in underdeveloped countries?