Baptism clothing

havejoy

72 Baptism is to be administered in the following manner unto all those who repent—

73 The person who is called of God and has authority from Jesus Christ to baptize, shall go down into the water with the person who has presented himself or herself for baptism, and shall say, calling him or her by name: Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

74 Then shall he immerse him or her in the water, and come forth again out of the water.

Church handbook

Clothing for Baptism

A person who performs a baptism and a person who is baptized wear white clothing that does not appear transparent when it is wet.

I had asked the missionaries this same question and they had told me that the use of white clothing was symbolic rather than scriptural based. White symbolizes purity and cleanliness, and well... We all know what baptism symbolizes. Goes hand in hand.

When my cousin was baptized as a Methodist he just wore his swim trunks, no white on him. They tried to dunk me in that cold river, I was like "NOPE!"

The addition of white clothing is a relatively new invention that is not scriptural and not strictly necessary.  It is used for it's symbolic value, but if no white clothing were available, the presiding authority could authorize the baptism to continue.

There have been military members who have gotten baptized while serving in areas where white clothes were not available.  

I had asked the missionaries this same question and they had told me that the use of white clothing was symbolic rather than scriptural based. White symbolizes purity and cleanliness, and well... We all know what baptism symbolizes. Goes hand in hand.

When my cousin was baptized as a Methodist he just wore his swim trunks, no white on him. They tried to dunk me in that cold river, I was like "NOPE!"

My dad was baptized in a lake in March.  This was in Alaska and the lake still had ice around the edges.  I remember him telling me in later years that he never once felt the cold of the water during the baptism.  

There was no baptismal font anywhere on the island. Heck we didn't even have a chapel.  We met for Sunday School in the Electric Building.  My class was on the stairs.

For some strange reason, yesterday I looked at some baptisms by immersion on YouTube. I thought it very strange that many churches did not require some kind of baptismal outfit. Let's just say that having teenaged girls baptized in their clothes looked one step above a wet t-shirt contest.

As a missionary in Brazil, one night for baptisms we just didn't have a white jumpsuit in my size (I was thinner then, but still 6'4" tall); so I wound up officiating in standard missionary attire--black slacks and white shirt (but sans shoes and tie).

I know that in the early days of this dispensation regular clothing was worn for baptism. I am also with MOE that dressing in white is relatively new and symbolic, while non-essential. I was hearing about the old-timers in the area who were baptized in the temple for their live baptism, not for the dead. I am curious if the tradition of wearing white may have started with being baptized in temples.

Yet some how wearing a white shirt to church seems to be mandatory...

I think I own one white shirt, which I remember wearing when I went to the temple!  Haven't seen it since!!  I usually wear a light blue one (which was what I was wearing when I was blessing the sacrament on Sunday, shock horror!!).

Yet some how wearing a white shirt to church seems to be mandatory...

They say "dress your Sunday best" and well... Quite a few people look best in a white dress shirt. 

When I attend Sacrament I have never dressed up, I wear jeans, some black or dark colored shirt and usually wear my leather jacket depending on weather. Have my ear piercings in to when I forget to take them out and I catch the bishop glancing at me. 

Half the guys in my local YSA don't even wear white, they'll dress decent but comfortable.