Long Vs. Short Hair

Suzie

Thanks for all the replies so far. Eowyn, that's my fear: you know, to cut my hair and then regret and wait for my hair to grow back. I am not sure what I am going to do yet!

Suzie, my daughter is 26 and has had shoulder length to a little longer hair length. She wanted to try a pixie cut, very short, to see what it was like and knew that she would eventually grow it out again. She looks good either way. It's been awhile since she got the pixie cut and it's going to take her sometime to grow it out, since she needs to get it trimmed every so often to keep it managed. So if you've got the patience to wait for your hair to grow back, try something different. :)

M. 

A couple months ago my hair was down to my butt....but, I wanted to go short. Not real short...but, a little below my shoulders. My husband loves my long hair and didn't want me to cut it...so, about once a week I would cut about an inch off my hair. Each time I did, he would say... oh your hair looks so pretty. LOL

So, as time has gone along I have cut about 10 inches off so far and he just keeps telling me how pretty it looks. Never mentioned cutting it.

I stopped coloring it about a year ago so the old hair is actually starting to be cut off and the new hair taking over.

Oh... I am 60 years old. I love my long hair, but the reason I wanted to go shorter is because we ride motorcycles and it's just so much easier to stick a helmet on my head with shorter hair. I want to keep it a little below my shoulders so I can still pull it up in a ponytail as needed.

I think the ladies that color their hair bleach blonde at 60 or older look kinda foolish... like they are trying to look younger than they are. I saw a lady from the back that had really pretty bleached blonde hair...cute little shape... then she turned around and I almost fell on the floor to see she was really about 70 or older! It just didn't look right at all.

That's a lot of hair to take care of, Anatess.  Most of my life, my hair was mid-back; I am mixed black & white and my hair is curly. When I was on the east coast, I'd have Dominicans or Puerto Ricans deal with it in the salon. In high school, when straight hair was the style, I had to use huge rollers or iron it. A lot of angina.  Plus, bad experiences left me afraid of hair stylists. I would just cut the ends myself and use Nice n'Easy. I pulled it back in a bun or pony tail a lot because it was just easier to deal with that way.

Well, styles changed and I found I could go out in public with curly hair. When I started worked again after grad school, I braved the stylist again and had her color and cut. I found that at a medium length, with a great cut, I can wash it and go. Since then, since I'm a Mormon and all and don't spend my money on liquor and cigarettes, I decided I would always treat myself to getting a professional cut and color. When it's freshly done, I look darned cute and I feel like a grown up. For some reason, having a head of curly hair always makes me feel like I'm somebody's mom or some hippie chick (OK, I'm guilty of both,actually), and not the cut throat lawyer or demon professor that I am.  :D

For the record I have no hair and I have not missed it all that much.  I really do not care if I get it back in the resurrection or not.  Unless I look in a mirror or something I would not know that I look any different.  That said, my personal taste in ladies is that in general I believe they look better with long hair.  But my wife has made it clear that long hair is not a priority for her and I have discovered that I can live with what makes her happy.  For sure if she is not happy I have little chance of being that happy either.

I agree with all who say it depends on the individual.

For myself, I've decided to cut it to about 1", and get extensions to about waist level. Best of both worlds! Costs more than my car, but no one plans on being old and poor, so I'm shooting for old & able to afford extensions ;)

Q

Thanks for all the replies so far. Eowyn, that's my fear: you know, to cut my hair and then regret and wait for my hair to grow back. I am not sure what I am going to do yet!

Suzie, you should try out short wigs first and see if you like it.  The wigs these days have gone a loooong way.  We have a sister in our ward who went through chemo and so she is wearing this pixie-cut wig.   It is so super cute on her that when she finally got her hair back, she had the stylist style it in the same way as the wig.