And in Scouting News...

bytor2112

So grateful that America is more safe and freedom is preserved because of the efforts of the thug morons in this story.

'

VIDEO: Border patrol official points gun at Boy Scout's head, confiscates his camera, informed him he would be arrested and fined possibly $10,000 and 10 years in prison for trying to film the incident.'

Holding a gun to an 11yo's head is child abuse.

Uhm... holding a gun to ANYONE'S head who does not present a danger to society is ASSAULT... regardless of whether you're a federal agent or not.

There's a difference between Assault and Abuse.

Is any action being taken against this guard?  Making the troop assume all guilt is not okay here.  "A kid took a picture so I just had to hold a gun to a child's head".

Especially since taking a picture of a Border Patrol Agent is not against the law unless specifically exempted such as the activities surrounding the children who illegally crossed the southern border.

In light of the "welcome to America" attitude on the southern border, it is particularly disgusting. I have respect for law enforcement and know many good police officers, but it seems like the various agencies are becoming more and more para military and less than concerned about the citizens they serve. Local law enforcement included...sadly.

I am SPITTING mad right now.

"A great lesson in civics"?!?!?!

If that had been my son and his troop, I would probably be excommunicated, and the lesson in civics would be a felony murder trial. I hope someone is staying with that boy's parents, right now.

First rule of firearms handling; never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.

I am SPITTING mad right now.

"A great lesson in civics"?!?!?!

If that had been my son and his troop, I would probably be excommunicated, and the lesson in civics would be a felony murder trial. I hope someone is staying with that boy's parents, right now.

First rule of firearms handling; never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.

I completely agree.  This situation wasn't a great lesson in anything good.

They were also detained four hours for simply taking a picture according to this story.  If this is true I hope the officer who pointed the weapon at the Boy Scout's head is dismissed from employment.  We do not need people like this with a gun, badge, and in a position of authority in the ranks of our law enforcement.

When I heard the comments on this story about "a great lesson in civics" I also shook my head in disgust.  This situation was completely unnecessary and just wrong.  It seems to be a story about someone who delighted in how big and shiny his law enforcement badge was.

Oh, it was an excellent lesson in civics.  It was a lesson in why you want to fight against a despotic police state.  It is a lesson in why you NEVER let the state or its agents have even one iota more power than is absolutely necessary.  It is a lesson that it is in the nature of ALL men to abuse authority given.  It was a very good lesson for them to learn.  It was just the manner it was delivered that was unfortunate.

Just a couple of points to make:

1) According to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the port of entry is federal property and a place where pictures are not allowed.  The punishments the agent allegedly threatened are not accurate, but it is, nonetheless, impermissible to take photographs.  Violations of protocols at the border usually lead to searches.  So far, that isn't out of the ordinary.

2) Why was the scout unloading anything?  The agents do the searches, and you shouldn't be handling the bags without authorization.  The border is one of those places where you simply don't speak unless spoken to and don't do anything until told to do.

CBP released a statement saying:

"CBP's review of this group's inspection, including video footage review, indicates that our officer did not un-holster or handle his weapon as stated in the allegation. The review revealed nothing out of the ordinary. We have reached out to the Boy Scout troop for additional information in reference to the allegation. The video footage has been referred to CBP Internal Affairs for further review."

So I'm willing to hold off judgment of CBP until the FOIA request brings out the video and CBP's internal affairs releases a report on the incident.

Was there some overreaction here.  Probably.  But let's not hold the scouts blameless.  Especially the troop leaders.  Those boys were clearly not prepared on how to cross the border without creating a disruption.

I just came back from a trip to Canada with my troop.  We had five vehicles pass through the border.  One of those vehicles had a large trailer with all of the gear.  Before we left, we instructed all of the youth (and adults) that the border is not a place for messing around and that all electronics were to be turned off and each person be ready to answer questions if asked.  They were to be quiet through the process and, if stopped for a search, were to do nothing until instructed by one of the border agents.  

The only difficulty we had was the vehicle with the trailer happened to draw an agent who apparently wasn't aware that youth traveling with an organized youth group only need a photocopy of their birth certificate.  The agent directed that vehicle to the search area where another agent inspected the paper work, took a quick look inside the trailer, and waved the group on.  It was a 10 minute delay.

Meanwhile, in my car, when the agent handed me back all the paperwork, I took a moment to review that I received back everything I had turned over.  The agent waited patiently and calmly while I finished and then responded cheerfully when I asked if he still had my passport card.  Turns out he did.  He complimented me on my attention to detail and I went on my way.

So while any inappropriate behavior by the agents should be dealt with, those boys don't seem to me like they were adequately prepared for the border crossing.

Just a couple of points to make:

1) According to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the port of entry is federal property and a place where pictures are not allowed.  The punishments the agent allegedly threatened are not accurate, but it is, nonetheless, impermissible to take photographs.  Violations of protocols at the border usually lead to searches.  So far, that isn't out of the ordinary.

2) Why was the scout unloading anything?  The agents do the searches, and you shouldn't be handling the bags without authorization.  The border is one of those places where you simply don't speak unless spoken to and don't do anything until told to do.

CBP released a statement saying:

So I'm willing to hold off judgment of CBP until the FOIA request brings out the video and CBP's internal affairs releases a report on the incident.

Was there some overreaction here.  Probably.  But let's not hold the scouts blameless.  Especially the troop leaders.  Those boys were clearly not prepared on how to cross the border without creating a disruption.

I just came back from a trip to Canada with my troop.  We had five vehicles pass through the border.  One of those vehicles had a large trailer with all of the gear.  Before we left, we instructed all of the youth (and adults) that the border is not a place for messing around and that all electronics were to be turned off and each person be ready to answer questions if asked.  They were to be quiet through the process and, if stopped for a search, were to do nothing until instructed by one of the border agents.  

The only difficulty we had was the vehicle with the trailer happened to draw an agent who apparently wasn't aware that youth traveling with an organized youth group only need a photocopy of their birth certificate.  The agent directed that vehicle to the search area where another agent inspected the paper work, took a quick look inside the trailer, and waved the group on.  It was a 10 minute delay.

Meanwhile, in my car, when the agent handed me back all the paperwork, I took a moment to review that I received back everything I had turned over.  The agent waited patiently and calmly while I finished and then responded cheerfully when I asked if he still had my passport card.  Turns out he did.  He complimented me on my attention to detail and I went on my way.

So while any inappropriate behavior by the agents should be dealt with, those boys don't seem to me like they were adequately prepared for the border crossing.

I trust the Scout leader and the scouts more than I trust CBP