Sabbath day vs the Lord's day

Hey team,

I was just having a conversation with some colleagues about scriptural interpretation and found it interesting how some (not jews or adventists) thought that the bible clearly teaches that Saturday is the Sabbath... some even accepting that Sunday is the Lord's day, but still maintaining Saturday as the Sabbath for being observed and set apart out of the week for worship.

While I was looking into it I found this video with John Piper explaining the Lord's day to give one side that makes sense to me, but I also found other sources clearly differentiating between the two. So I wanted to hear from the great people here (specifically those who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) what your thoughts on the Sabbath are. Do you sanctify and/or worship on Saturday or Sunday and why? 

Thanks in advance.

From what I understand, Saturday is the original Sabbath.  After all, if you look at your calendar, Saturday is the 7th day while Sunday is the 1st day of the week.  Christians began to celebrate the Sabbath and worship on Sundays b/c that was the day of Jesus' resurrection.   

Hey team,

I was just having a conversation with some colleagues about scriptural interpretation and found it interesting how some (not jews or adventists) thought that the bible clearly teaches that Saturday is the Sabbath... some even accepting that Sunday is the Lord's day, but still maintaining Saturday as the Sabbath for being observed and set apart out of the week for worship.

While I was looking into it I found this video with John Piper explaining the Lord's day to give one side that makes sense to me, but I also found other sources clearly differentiating between the two. So I wanted to hear from the great people here (specifically those who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) what your thoughts on the Sabbath are. Do you sanctify and/or worship on Saturday or Sunday and why? 

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the so-called "clear" teachings from the Bible on this they provided? Would be interesting.

From what I understand, Saturday is the original Sabbath.  After all, if you look at your calendar, Saturday is the 7th day while Sunday is the 1st day of the week.  Christians began to celebrate the Sabbath and worship on Sundays b/c that was the day of Jesus' resurrection.   

Not every calendar has Saturday as the 7th day though.

Do you have the so-called "clear" teachings from the Bible on this they provided? Would be interesting.

Okay so here is one source that states quite clearly the premise that the Lord's day and the Sabbath day are separate entities. In fact it goes so far as to say that gentile converts are under no obligation to observe the Sabbath. They provide biblical links, but I personally find this stance doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

From biblicaltraining.org:

5. Sunday and the Sabbath:

Sunday, however, was sharply distinguished from the Sabbath. One was the day on which worship was offered in a specifically Christian form, the other was a day of ritual rest to be observed by all who were subject? the Law of Moses through circumcision (Ga 5:3; compare Ac 21:20). Uncircumcised Gentiles, however, were free from any obligation of Sabbath observance, and it is quite certain that in apostolic times no renewal of any Sabbath rules or transfer of them to Sunday was made for Gentileconverts. No observance of a particular "day of rest" is contained among the "necessary things" of Ac 15:28,29, nor is any such precept found among all the varied moral directions given in the whole epistolary literature. Quite on the contrary, the observance of a given day as a matter of Divine obligation is denounced by Paul as a forsaking of Christ (Ga 4:10), and Sabbath-keeping is condemned explicitly in Col 2:16. As a matter of individual devotion, to be sure, a man might do as he pleased (Ro 14:5,6), but no general rule as necessary for salvation could be compatible with the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free. Evidently, then, the fact that the Christian worship was held on Sunday did not sanctify Sunday any more than (say) a regular Wednesday service among us sanctifies Wednesday, noting especially that the apostolic service was held in the evening. For it was felt that Christian enthusiasm would raise every day to the highest religious plane, the decay of that enthusiasm through the long delay of the Parousia not being contemplated.

I am nevertheless interested in any one who believes in this position and do not mean to belittle the position by stating that I don't think it holds up to scrutiny, to the contrary I respect how people come to these conclusions. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I feel fortunate to fully believe in restored truth and revelation to make these points clear for me. It must be tricky trying to reconcile differing view points that all come from the same source material (bible) as the sole authority.

• 4 years later...
On 7/30/2014 at 12:47 AM, SpiritDragon said:

Hey team,

Thanks in advance.

I personally attempt to observe the Jewish Sabbath from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset but it is a great idea to attend church with fellow Christians on Sunday to worship. 

I did make it out to the nearest Ward of the Latter day Saints three times in the last year and I am planning to make it out soon after doing some more studies on the Book of Mormon and other LDS literature.