Hope This Doesn't Mean I'm Getting Depressed Again..

pushka

I've just watched The South Bank Show featuring Marianne Faithful and some of her songs, whilst recalling her life since the 60's, briefly mentioning her relationship with Mick Jagger, her former drug habit and her life since then.

I found myself in tears within a minute or two of starting to watch the programme, when it showed her in concert now, singing As Tears Go By...which Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote especially for her in 1964. I love the Rolling Stones, and this particular track is one of my favourites...I used to have a tape of their music featuring some of their most popular hits when I was 17...including such happy songs as Paint it Black and Get Offa My Cloud, lol, which I used to play over and over again when I was in the deepest depths of my depression at that time.

I couldn't believe how much hearing As Tears Go By moved me tonight. It scared me that I was crying again, as I haven't felt really depressed since I broke up with Graeme in January...and I certainly don't feel depressed now, that I'm aware of.

Another song made me cry too...The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan, which I'd never heard before tonight. It was originally sung by Dr. Hook, but Marianne Faithful said she empathised with the character in the song, so she personalised it and released it herself...it was very touching.

Up to now I hadn't given much credit to Marianne Faithful...I wasn't particularly taken by her singing voice, and just imagined her being one of many ex lovers of Mick Jagger. I saw a different Marianne Faithful tonight, one who had gone thru her own depressions and conquered her own demons, and was very in tune with issues that I can relate to that have affected women. I will certainly read more about her now, try to get hold of some of her music, and watch other programmes about her...Her singing voice, and the way in which she sings, reminds me of Bob Dylan now...and as I'm such a fan of his, I love this connection.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you...and hope that I don't become enveloped in another deep depression too...I don't want to dwell upon tonight as a negative experience, but I can see how I could easily do that...I wonder what other people find triggers their tears of depression and how they cope and overcome those feelings?

I find myself moved to tears at times by certain songs. Perhaps they trigger some memory or emotion that I have suppressed. So I understand what you are explaining or expressing Pushka. But for me...seriously if I thought that each time a song or something that brought me to tears was a sign of depression...I might as well give up and consider myself a manic depressant. I think all of us go through this at time or another. Then again I'm just a wimp. haha I cry when I see a flag go by, I cry at the National Anthem, I cry every time I hear Barry Manilow sing "Feelings." Depressed? I think not. Just natural things that move me.

Hiya Pam..thanks for your reassuring post...I understand completely your words: 'seriously if I thought that each time a song or something that brought be to tears was a sign of depression...I might as well give up and consider myself a manic depressant.' I know it was silly of me to think that that might be happening...just such a feeling of great sadness overwhelmed me at that particular time...I panicked!!

I, too, am moved to tears by all sorts of things as well as by songs...in fact it's quite embarrassing to attend the theatre or school events with me because of my tendency to start crying!!

I agree that it is just a natural thing to find things that make you cry, especially when memories are triggered by them...I suppose it's pretty obvious that my memories of my depressive incident at 17 was triggered...

Thanks for reading and commenting...I feel better just for that.. :)

You are very welcome pushka. Glad I could be of some reassurance. I embarrass my teenagers all the times with my shows of emotion. I am sure you are like me...you hear a song and you can remember exactly what you were doing at that time in your life. It happens to me all the time. Brings back memories good and bad. Shoot....I cry at movies all the time. For example. The movie Remember the Titans...I still cry at the end even though I've seen the movie probably 20 times. It's just one of those things.

Guest Emma Hale Smith

Just thought I'd share my experience with you...and hope that I don't become enveloped in another deep depression too...I don't want to dwell upon tonight as a negative experience, but I can see how I could easily do that...I wonder what other people find triggers their tears of depression and how they cope and overcome those feelings?

Pushka,

I hope my last post wasn't too flippant, because I don't take depression lightly. I am on disability for fibromyalgia, but also for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and severe depression. It was so bad that last December I attempted suicide. I only tell you that to let you know I do understand how dark the abyss can be, and how terrifying it can feel to try so hard to climb out of it when you're so alone, only to feel yourself slip even deper.

I'm afraid I don't have a great answer. I am on medication that keeps me level. I've also been seeing a wonderful therapist since December who has helped me immensely. I've been to therapists for the last 30 years and have never been helped; rather, I've had bad experiences with them, so I'm vey grateful for Cathy.

I really enjoy your posts here and your point of view. Even though I am not LDS I sense a kindred spirit, as I have in others on this website. I can only offer my time and an ear if you feel yourself sinking. I know that sometimes there are no words to explain the bleakness, but I will listen to you, gladly, if you feel the need, and if you'll let me.

Yours,

Emma

Hi Emma,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful post. I must admit that Pam's first post made me 'pull myself together' and realise that just because I cried at a couple of songs, and felt sad about my past, it doesn't mean that I have to keep that feeling and sink into another deep depression because of it.

There was nothing wrong at all with your first post...it made me chuckle and realise that with you and Pam, there were probably lots of people that, like me, cry at the simplest of things!! Hollywood knows how we tick and makes tons of cash out of weepy films cos of us, lol.

I tried to commit suicide back in 2002, so I can empathise with how you have felt, and still feel from time to time. I'm receiving Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which is soon to come to an end, but I'm hoping that the lessons I've learned, I will be able to carry on using in my life, and so prevent most of the depression from returning. I'm also taking a mix of anti-depressants and other meds. to make things easier, and have recently widened my circle of friends so that I don't end up relying on only 1 person to keep me company...this has helped.

I enjoy coming to this site and sometimes feel braver than at others, at those times you might notice a sudden increase in the amount of posts that I make...I'm not LDS, tho I attended the LDS church for 5 years in my teens, however I too feel a kind of comfort from 'hangin' out' with the LDS and non-LDS on this site, and enjoy many of the threads.

As you know, I am really interested in history...any history, and I do enjoy the posts that you have made about the LDS history..thanks! :)

Guest Emma Hale Smith

Hi Emma,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful post. I must admit that Pam's first post made me 'pull myself together' and realise that just because I cried at a couple of songs, and felt sad about my past, it doesn't mean that I have to keep that feeling and sink into another deep depression because of it.

There was nothing wrong at all with your first post...it made me chuckle and realise that with you and Pam, there were probably lots of people that, like me, cry at the simplest of things!! Hollywood knows how we tick and makes tons of cash out of weepy films cos of us, lol.

I tried to commit suicide back in 2002, so I can empathise with how you have felt, and still feel from time to time. I'm receiving Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which is soon to come to an end, but I'm hoping that the lessons I've learned, I will be able to carry on using in my life, and so prevent most of the depression from returning. I'm also taking a mix of anti-depressants and other meds. to make things easier, and have recently widened my circle of friends so that I don't end up relying on only 1 person to keep me company...this has helped.

I enjoy coming to this site and sometimes feel braver than at others, at those times you might notice a sudden increase in the amount of posts that I make...I'm not LDS, tho I attended the LDS church for 5 years in my teens, however I too feel a kind of comfort from 'hangin' out' with the LDS and non-LDS on this site, and enjoy many of the threads.

As you know, I am really interested in history...any history, and I do enjoy the posts that you have made about the LDS history..thanks! :)

See, I told you we were kindred spirits. :wub:

Emma