Cant live up to LDS Standards

Mikey9

Every Sunday i break the sabbath because i must take train and bus to go to church since im a convert no one drives me there.

After church i want something cold to drink in the summer so i buy a Burn Energy and a Coke and force these peo

Do your very best.  God will do the rest.  No need to beat yourself up for every little thing.

Talk to your Home Teachers and see what options you have available to you for whatever problem that comes your way.  That's the cool thing about the Home Teaching program - you don't have to go it alone...

Are there actually prohibitions against taking public transportation to get to church? I never heard anything about this, tho we don't have Sunday buses here, so maybe it just never came up.

btw - There was a small orthodox synagogue near my parents' house. Most of the members had moved out of the neighborhood (they eventually sold the building to a church) and so they had to drive to services, which of course, they shouldn't do. They would park several blocks from the building, then walk to it. A nice little fiction for them.

Are there actually prohibitions against taking public transportation to get to church? I never heard anything about this, tho we don't have Sunday buses here, so maybe it just never came up.

No.  If there was, 80%* of LDS members in the Philippines would not be able to go to Church.

* - just guesstimating.

For what's it worth, none of us can live up to LDS Standards, literally, no one on this earth can. So don't throw in the towel yet.

The Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

We can. We just won't.

The Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

We can. We just won't.

Or we don't really understand what the command is, so we think we can't...

I would say standards of living, "LDS standards", are a different shade of meaning than gospel principles. They are related and I'd call those living standards as being part of principles.

We may be poor imperfect mortals in need of grace even as we strive for perfection but i thiink we are all capable of your basic standards of conduct.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with using public transportation to get to church. I do (it's either a 20 minute train ride or a 45 minute bike ride in a suit).

As for buying drinks, if you know you are going to want them after church, buy them beforehand. Can you only buy them near the church? For me, there is a Whole Foods near my church building so if I'm low on cat food I'll have to stop by there on a Sunday because it is the closest one and on the way.

To be honest, the whole no stores on Sunday thing is something I'm still getting used to. I tend to go to Target or out to lunch after church. I figure that since I'm already out, might as well. After telling the missionaries this, they asked if I wanted to do scripture study with them on Sundays after church to keep my busy and out of stores. I might take them up on their offer when I get back home.

Besides the advice everyone else has given, my only other suggestion would be...

Stop+it+ask+the+missionaries.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Every Sunday i break the sabbath because i must take train and bus to go to church since im a convert no one drives me there.

After church i want something cold to drink in the summer so i buy a Burn Energy and a Coke and force these peo

You can ask for a ride, but it is not a sin to take a train or bus to Church. Also every Church building has a fridge, so you can take something, after three hours it will be cold.

I used to ride my bike, where I used to live nobody walked to church, it was at the edge of the city/large town, very out of the way.
The one I went to here, still kind of out of the way. I mean I live in a big city again so I have to take a bus. I don't drive or anything.

I think the notion of riding the bus is breaking the Sabbath that comes from spending money on the Sabbath more than riding the bus.

To the OP:

But if it's something you can't avoid don't sweat over it. I like the suggestion of talking to the home teachers.

Also every Church building has a fridge, so you can take something, after three hours it will be cold.

I think there may be odd exceptions to this fridge rule, but yes, there's a good chance the building will have a fridge.

It's such a simple idea, my mind is blown.

This is what people have to worry about? Buying a coke or taking the bus on Sunday?

OP there are bigger fish to fry

Don't worry about this stuff

Although I wouldn't personally worry about these two things that much. I wouldn't suggest that the OP brush off the concern because there are bigger problems to worry about. I see these as valid concerns for someone that is trying their best to conform to the gospel. Who knows, this may be their "bigger fish". I wish it were mine.  :) 

To the OP, there have been some very good suggestions on how you can work these two concerns out. I agree with omegaseamaster75 feeling of not letting this bring you down. There is always something we are working on.

i say don't sweat the small stuff.  The fact that you want to attend church and do whatever it takes to get there is important.  Also the intent is there to follow the Sabbath day as best as you can.

Learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ and gaining a testimony of it takes priority.  The other things will eventually work themselves out.