Help with my Mission Farewell Talk?

genehayes

I am giving my mission farewell talk in Sacrament Meeting the day after tomorrow and I need help writing my talk!! I know it seems pretty late to start writing it but I am usually pretty good at writing talks, I just have trouble thinking of what to talk about.

My topic is on D&C 4 and how "love qualifies you for the work".

I'm honestly not entirely sure what that means! I feel like it means that even if you're not the most qualified or educated person, that if you have a sincere love for the people you're teaching that it doesn't matter and the Spirit will take care of the rest. Does that seem accurate?

Any tips on giving a good talk would be appreciated, really!! (scriptures, quotes, etc. are also appreciated)

Thank you!

genehayes,

Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.

Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that yeserve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.

Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;

For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in storethat he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;

And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the gloryof God, qualify him for the work.

Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience,brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.

Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen. (D&C 4)

With D&C 4 in mind, write about why you want to be a Missionary.

M.

I am giving my mission farewell talk in Sacrament Meeting the day after tomorrow and I need help writing my talk!! I know it seems pretty late to start writing it but I am usually pretty good at writing talks, I just have trouble thinking of what to talk about.

My topic is on D&C 4 and how "love qualifies you for the work".

I'm honestly not entirely sure what that means! I feel like it means that even if you're not the most qualified or educated person, that if you have a sincere love for the people you're teaching that it doesn't matter and the Spirit will take care of the rest. Does that seem accurate?

Any tips on giving a good talk would be appreciated, really!! (scriptures, quotes, etc. are also appreciated)

Thank you!

Moroni 7:45-48 states some important concepts about charity, the pure love of God.

John 14:15 If ye love me keep my commandments

1 john 4:18 - perfect love casteth out all fear

It is important to understand love and to understand the work. The work is the salvation of souls as stated in Moses 1:39. With a little work you can formulate how love relates to the work of salvation. Based on the scriptures above some ideas may already become apparent. Missionary work can involve a lot of rejection, fear of rejection is common - you can see how perfect love to cast out this fear would help qualify some one for the work. Missionaries are also prominent ambassadors for Christ, you can see how keeping His commandments would be important... never mind that you need the spirit to do the work which all ties back to loving the Lord enough to obey His commands.

Specifically this verse has a lot to go on in my opinion:

Moroni 7:45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Patience is needed by missionaries, kindness is required to touch hearts and spare offence, envy gets in the way of the spirit, there are many who thrive on attempting to provoke missionaries, rejoicing in truth and not iniquity helps further show that the commandments are not restrictive but freeing and joyous, there is much to bear, believe, hope for, and endure.

Hope it helps.