Appropriate Use?

Leah

We have discussed similar situations previously.

I received an email this morning from someone asking me to contribute to their GoFundMe account. The only way this person could have obtained my emai address is through the ward directory. I have never had so much as a conversation with this person.

I have NO issue with helping out ward members in various ways or for various reasons. But the method of communication did give me pause.

Is this an acceptable use of personal information via wars resources? Does it matter what the money is going towards? Are there instances wherein the ward would give permission for contacting members in this manner?

What are your thoughts?

No, this isn't an appropriate use.  On all printed versions of the directory, it states clearly that the directory is for church use only.  That warning doesn't get displayed anywhere in the online directory, unfortunately.  If this is a one-time instance, I'd be inclined to ignore it.  If it happens again, someone should address the issue with the member.

I received an email this morning from someone asking me to contribute to their GoFundMe account. The only way this person could have obtained my emai address is through the ward directory. I have never had so much as a conversation with this person.

I have NO issue with helping out ward members in various ways or for various reasons. But the method of communication did give me pause.

Is this an acceptable use of personal information via wars resources? Does it matter what the money is going towards? Are there instances wherein the ward would give permission for contacting members in this manner?

What are your thoughts?

I was put over the collections for Friends of Scouting.  I asked my stake president point blank "Can I use the Ward roster including email?"  The answer was yes but have your bishop filter out any member he deems sensitive.  I did and then I sent out the individual emails.  One person was quite unhappy with it.

So to answer your questions...  Possibly but they need to have permission.  Yes having an acceptable reason why it is being done should be part of getting permission.  Yes see my example.

That being said odds are they didn't have permission.

That would seem to bring up the question of what is an "acceptable" reason.

Obviously, we get emails all the time on ward-related things. This is a member going on a "humanitarian trip" as part of his educational experience - not related to the ward or to the church. 

We have already been asked in RS (and if I recall correctly, Sacrament Meeting) to provide supplies for the trip to take to the people in the particular county - as a humanitarian gesture.  People stepped up big time.

The email was asking for money to finance the trip.

Again, I was taken aback that at how the solicitation happened, more than anything.  I don't think (in this ward for sure) that I have ever been solicited for money in this manner.  Not even for things that would be "legitimate".

And if I was taken aback, I have to wonder how it came across to others.  In my calling, I regularly deal with people who tell me things such as they have never had a visit from a home teacher in all the years they have been in the ward.  Home teachers (and others) can't be bothered to reach out, but you use my contact information to solicit money for your pet cause?

There's gotta be a better way.

I'm getting more and more requests to donate money to people that have set up a  GoFundMe account.

The most recent was to help a couple with money for a deposit on a different apartment because they didn't like the management of their current apartment.

I'm going to get to a point where I won't want to donate to anyone because I won't know what's legitimate and what's not.

Leah, have you brought this to your Bishop's attention? Did he give his permission??

TheFolkProphet- it states on the online Stake/Ward directory that the names are NOT to be used for commercial, business or political use. 

For Church Use Only - Do not copy without permission from your local church leaders

Not to be Used for Any Commercial, Business, or Political Purpose
2011 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved
August 13, 2014

I am happy to help out where and when I can.  But...yeah...everyone has their hand out lately.  Reminds me of a child who only calls their parents when they need money, but the rest of the time...they have no use for you.

What bugs me about this one is that - from what I understand - my information was given to GoFundMe and GFM generated the email.  And this information was obtained from the ward directory.  So...information from the ward directory was given to a third party.

That's not cool.

I honestly don't know if I want to take it that far.  I just don't know what's appropriate.

I probably won't have to. I am sure I am not the only one who is uncomfortable with this.

They were already asking for supplies in RS.  Why not just make this request the same way if they felt they needed money, too?

TheFolkProphet- it states on the online Stake/Ward directory that the names are NOT to be used for commercial, business or political use. 

Either way it should never be used for anything other than ward business.

Um...how did my statement (a joke on digital age vs. print) imply otherwise?

Um...how did my statement (a joke on digital age vs. print) imply otherwise?

When you said that ward directories were a thing of the past I took it to mean therefore the rules no longer apply.   That's how it came across to me.

This is inappropriate - the e-mail and the request.  If someone can't afford to go, I guess they don't.
Anyway, I would bring it up so others don't see this as a great idea and start to do the same.

And I'm with Pam - there are so many ............... requests that it's hard to tell what's a want vs need.  Saw one the other day that bothered me to no end.

I appreciate everyone's input as I process my feelings about this.

Humanitarian trips are a good thing.  I am not questioning this person's motivation.  I AM taken aback at using private ward information via a third party to solicit funds for anything.

The more I think about it, even if it were something that would be absolutely appropriate for the ward to solicit donations for, I find myself balking at doing it in this manner.  As I said before, why not make an announcement in an appropriate venue?  Or even send it out from "within"...such as the usual RS emails and what-not.  But to turn that info over to an outside source?  That is NOT why I share my email with my ward. 

And where would the line be drawn?  And by whom?  There are a lot of worthy needs within any ward...lots of people could be setting up GoFundMe accounts.  Do they all get to use directory info?  I was advised to set up just such an account by my orthotist/prosthetist to finance something that insurance refuses to cover (I guess walking is not "medically necessary") and I am not comfortable with the idea at all, much less using directories, rosters, what-have-you to solicit funds. 

I'll be curious to find out what the response was.  I am thinking it will be mixed.

What are your thoughts?

It is absolutely not appropriate and clearly against church policy (handbook 2, 21.1.15).  I would kindly reply to the email saying that they should not circumvent their bishop for welfare needs.

Humanitarian trips are a good thing.  I am not questioning this person's motivation.  I AM taken aback at using private ward information via a third party to solicit funds for anything.

Yes, they are.  So are missions but ever since I can remember, church leaders have encouraged people to work and save $ for them so why should this be any different?  

I'd send this person an e-mail something like this:

Hi, I got this solicitation and feel to help.  I don't believe in handouts but I do have a lawn that needs mowing, weeds that need pulling, a house that needs cleaning, a car that needs detailing, etc.  Also, if you want to hold a yard sale, I can find things to donate for you to sell.  

Sincerely, ...

PS I really do not appreciate that my e-mail was given to a third party.  That is for church use only (as stated on the website) so please don't ever do that again.  Cheers.

Yes, they are.  So are missions but ever since I can remember, church leaders have encouraged people to work and save $ for them so why should this be any different?  

I'd send this person an e-mail something like this:

Hi, I got this solicitation and feel to help.  I don't believe in handouts but I do have a lawn that needs mowing, weeds that need pulling, a house that needs cleaning, a car that needs detailing, etc.  Also, if you want to hold a yard sale, I can find things to donate for you to sell.  

Sincerely, ...

PS I really do not appreciate that my e-mail was given to a third party.  That is for church use only (as stated on the website) so please don't ever do that again.  Cheers.

Excellent point in your first paragraph. I had never thought of it from that perspective. Can you imagine soliciting for missions this way?

I really like the response you came up with. Both in the idea of an exchange of work for the donation and how you worded everything.

I'm getting more and more requests to donate money to people that have set up a  GoFundMe account.

The most recent was to help a couple with money for a deposit on a different apartment because they didn't like the management of their current apartment.

I'm going to get to a point where I won't want to donate to anyone because I won't know what's legitimate and what's not.

Someone in my ward started one because she wanted help paying for her braces. 

Leah, have you taken this to your Bishop yet? If not, why? Just forward the email to him & his counselors,with CC  to your Stake Presidency. asking if this is proper use of the Wards Membership List? 

Then bounce all new emails from this person. 

Now I am getting seriously annoyed.

I got another email for GoFundMe. "Just a friendly reminder".

I am wondering if these means they keep sending emails right up until he gets on the plane.

Reply to the email and put this in the subject:   NoFundMe

Leah, have you taken this to your Bishop yet? If not, why? Just forward the email to him & his counselors,with CC  to your Stake Presidency. asking if this is proper use of the Wards Membership List? 

Then bounce all new emails from this person. 

Don't even ask if it's proper use.  Just forward everything to everyone in leadership with a frowny face and a "grrrrrrrrrr"