Shameless rumor-mongering

Just_A_Guy

I have it on good authority that non-native-English-speaking GAs who speak in the October conference have been authorized to deliver their sermons in their native languages.

Really? There was a thread recently asking about members speaking in their native language during sacrament meeting so if this is true then we would hear soon:

"Well, Elder X and Elder Y spoke in....(insert foreign language here) in General Conference, so why can't I?". lol

It doesn't really matter to me although I admit, it will be a little odd.

I find it odd when the so many people speak English and they are already translated during the broadcast into about 95 languages.

Though I could see how it would give those that don't speak English as well an opportunity to speak in General Conference.

I think it makes sense and has been a long time coming. There are so many leaders now-a-days (and likely more and more all the time) who do not have English as a native language. Heretofore they could not speak in General Conference. And if a good portion of the world has to listen to Conference translated, why should not English speakers as well, when necessary?

I would be surprised if President Uchtdorf delivers his talk in German - but if he does, I will understand in German just not as well as I would understand if he spoke in English.  Most other languages - I may pick up a greeting or a few words here or there but the just of the talk I will not get.  I have attended church when Chineese was spoken and I did not have the guift of tongues -I just sat there in total ignorance.

I find it odd when the so many people speak English and they are already translated during the broadcast into about 95 languages.

Though I could see how it would give those that don't speak English as well an opportunity to speak in General Conference.

And this next time around, it will be 96 languages (assuming they translate non English speakers' talks to English)

I think it will be a net positive--frankly, a lot of the 70s' accents are quite distracting. But I would be sad if Pres. Uchtdorf decided to never again deliver a Conference talk in English.

I am confident that it will only be for those who do not speak English.

I suspect the policy will be a bit more liberal than that.  I'm told that at least one Seventy who has previously given a Conference address in English will be giving his talk in his native language this time around.

JAG you love mystery eh?  :mellow: Just spill the beans!

I could handle subtitles.

I have been in Sacrament Meetings in Europe where there was a near 50/50 split between English speakers and native speakers.  If the speaker spoke English then there was a translator who translated into the native language.  If the speaker spoke the native tongue then there was an English translator.  Of course by doing it that way, the talks were twice as long!

I was talking to a girl today I know that translates during General Conference.  She said she hadn't heard anything about it yet but she wonders about the logistics of it.  You already have all of these people who speak English and the language they are translating to.  She said they wouldn't be able to translate from a language that they aren't familiar with.

JAG you love mystery eh?  :mellow: Just spill the beans!

Fine.  FINE!!!!  *pout*

My old mission president (a native of the country I served in) is in the Seventy now and mentioned on our mission Facebook group today that he'll be speaking, in the mission language, during a session this coming October.  That could be subject to change, I suppose; but the impression I got from him was that permission had already been given.

Logistically - I doubt it would be that difficult.  My understanding is that English texts are given to the various translators ahead of time anyways, so the translators can work off of those.  The speakers just won't have any latitude to improvise/ad lib during the talk itself.  Heck, I'm told some GAs (like Pres. Uchtdorf) even pre-record versions of their talks in their native languages to be streamed concurrently with their real-time English deliveries.  If that's true, they just need to flip-flop the processes--pre-record the English language version and live-deliver the native-language.

I was talking to a girl today I know that translates during General Conference.  She said she hadn't heard anything about it yet but she wonders about the logistics of it.  You already have all of these people who speak English and the language they are translating to.  She said they wouldn't be able to translate from a language that they aren't familiar with.

When I was on my mission, (I started in the Dominican Republic and ended up in Maryland) I ended up translating several sacrament meetings for the Spanish speakers in the ward. While I was able to translate English to Spanish rather easily (surprisingly so, and I'm pretty sure I had extra help), but I think it would have been far harder to go the other way since I would have to listen far harder to the Spanish.  I can hear and process English without even really giving it much conscious thought. For Spanish, I have to listen far harder.  That's a lot more difficult if I have to be speaking too.

Fine.  FINE!!!!  *pout*

My old mission president (a native of the country I served in) is in the Seventy now and mentioned on our mission Facebook group today that he'll be speaking, in the mission language, during a session this coming October.  That could be subject to change, I suppose; but the impression I got from him was that permission had already been given.

Logistically - I doubt it would be that difficult.  My understanding is that English texts are given to the various translators ahead of time anyways, so the translators can work off of those.  The speakers just won't have any latitude to improvise/ad lib during the talk itself.  Heck, I'm told some GAs (like Pres. Uchtdorf) even pre-record versions of their talks in their native languages to be streamed concurrently with their real-time English deliveries.  If that's true, they just need to flip-flop the processes--pre-record the English language version and live-deliver the native-language.

They are given the text before hand.  However, what I was told from 2 translators now in an admin group I belong to, the speakers will sometimes deviate as moved to do from what was originally on the transcript and the translators have to be able to catch that.

I don't see how they can't do subtitles.  I can see them doing a voice over on television, but are they going to hand out headphones to all the conference audience?  I do think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to have some speakers speak in their native language though.  I also see the hand of God in making sure that English became a universal language.