A thought Occured to me Today

Lakumi

Not sure if this is proper to have here, but it will be moved if it is not.

I was watching Ancient Aliens today (infact, they did an episode on Joseph Smith and having a theory that Moroni was an alien or something, but it wasn't that one) and I do believe the version of history that is given, is not the one that happened. Any stuff that doesn't go along with the stuff in books is swept under the rug, like this;

http://www.wnd.com/2010/03/129385/

I heard about that on a comedy website (of all places), and as you can assume, no one really has any clue why a really old slab containing the ten commandments is just in North America.

But this lead me to a thought, if mainstream archeology actually found something that could proof the Book of Mormon (or give it anything), would they tell the church?

I don't think so, for the same reason they'd never (at least not right now) admit the ancient alien thing and the now alien thing I am sure is there.

That's just some of my thoughts on it, what do you folks think?

no. the things that are found and tend to lend credence to Book of Mormon tend to go against popular concept of ancient American history and get filed away as a hoax or a mystery.

as for the ancient aliens show I've seen the one with the joseph smith moroni reference and the concept that angels and etc are what the guy refers to as star beings lol. I don't take the show too seriously. However technically speaking since The earth is not God (the Father)'s place of birth or place of living nor is he registered as an American citizen so in both forms of the word he would be an alien XD but I think that show wants to try impress more the stargate type concept of gods and aliens

The most efficient use of energy that we have discovered in the entire universe involves the principle of nuclear  fusion.  We see this method of energy governing and sustaining life on earth and holding the entire universe together.   However, nuclear fusion leaves a very definite electromagnetic signature that broadcasts the operation.  Even our very elementary nuclear power plants broadcast our intelligent use of such energy.    In years of scanning the sky for such intelligent use of nuclear energy has not shown a single even remote possibility. 

If there are intelligent aliens out there somewhere - they are not disclosing the existence of their intelligence.  It makes no sense to me that they are so cleaver as to avoid any indication for billions of years in deep space but then so stupid as to make themselves known by other means - somehow through events in the history of our very distant and obscure planet.

I've long been under the impression there are far too much politics in the sciences.  Sure, evidence might appeal to some, but what trickles down to the masses via media and even the journals will, as has been said, decry it hoax or mystery.

On another note, one of my favorite aspects of "Ancient Aliens" (yes, I enjoy watching the show, I'm weird) is the general notion that God is far too out there a belief but aliens traveling across the stars to build pyramids and Nazi weapons and make a manna machine (one of my personal favorites) is all good.

People would be able to see an alien if it came and said hello. Things like aliens aren't a matter of faith, if they come and start wrecking a city, they're not going away if you don't believe in them.

God is something so larger then ourselves a lot of people can't really understand it and since they can't see it, it seems distant and strange.

Anyone can look and study a pyramid and ponder what really made it, but there's no pondering God, in that way.

We're not so enlightened that we can reach so high and get all our questions answered.

I think in order for anybody to be convinced, I believe there would have to be such a rainfall of undeniable evidence that everyone would have to squeeze their eyes shut and bury their heads in the sand to even think about denying it.

We'd have to find Mormon's skeleton surrounded by a mountain of plates complete with his genealogy traced back to jerusalem, some horse bones next to him, and etc... etc...

currently extra terrestrial aliens are not really considered to be fact within scientific circles. While I do believe there to be a couple genuine cases of 3rd degree ufo encounters, most are explainable by other means, and others are not explainable. And while the individual who experiences this may be convinced of their experience, it generally has not been repeatable or able to give evidence to other parties to critique - which places many of them in a similar category as faith and similarly are usually considered to be weird, wacko, or delusional.

I think in order for anybody to be convinced, I believe there would have to be such a rainfall of undeniable evidence that everyone would have to squeeze their eyes shut and bury their heads in the sand to even think about denying it.

We'd have to find Mormon's skeleton surrounded by a mountain of plates complete with his genealogy traced back to jerusalem, some horse bones next to him, and etc... etc...

Then the church could simply say "we all told you! but you didn't listen...guess you'd better start coming to church"

I could just imagine something like that done, with a tinge of good hearted humour.

I'd be convinced with far less then all that.

What I find interesting is that as we learn more about history we discover that the ancients had far more knowledge and understanding of things than we want to give them credit for.  For example 4,000 years ago the ancient Egyptians developed  science and mathematics that understood the ratios of light (color) that we were not able to duplicate in modern times until we invented the lazer.  In our great wisdom we assume that the ancients had outside help?  Not from any divine source but from a source that has far less evidence than the existence of G-d.

Then at the same time we are willing to rationalize the Great Apostasy (when Traditional Christianity was the fundamental construct of understanding; as not really the Dark Ages, despite the fact that a great amount of enlightenment and understanding was lost more than at any other time of human history.  The ancient Egyptians understood the earth was round, not flat, and that the sun was the center of our solar system (that the planets went around the sun - not the earth).  It was the Dark Ages (when Traditional Christians were in charge of things) that the notion of a flat earth at the center of things was made the norm of the great minds and teachers in western civilization. 

I never cease to be amazed not just by what so many people do not believe - but often even more so by what they do believe. 

I've long been under the impression there are far too much politics in the sciences.  Sure, evidence might appeal to some, but what trickles down to the masses via media and even the journals will, as has been said, decry it hoax or mystery.

On another note, one of my favorite aspects of "Ancient Aliens" (yes, I enjoy watching the show, I'm weird) is the general notion that God is far too out there a belief but aliens traveling across the stars to build pyramids and Nazi weapons and make a manna machine (one of my personal favorites) is all good.

Flaky, white like corriander seed, falling from Heaven, melts in the sun, spoils overnight; sounds like birds would be a good "mana machine" better than aliens.    Yeah, I like watching the show too.

No matter what evidence could be produced to "prove" anything, there will still be people who refuse to believe.  Jesus performed many miracles - healing, resurrecting the dead, feeding the multitude, etc. - and yet there were people, who saw it with their own eyes, that refused to believe.

One cannot dispute the fact ancient egypt existed. It's there, all there.

One couldn't say if tomorrow, evidence without a doubt was found, sure one could say "oh well I don't believe in Jesus talking to them or whatever" but... they'd have far smaller a leg to stand on wouldn't they.

Even an athiest knows the places in the bible existed. We know where most of those places were, its the divine stuff that is where faith comes in.

I think the Book of Mormon would benifit even more since people kept saying it was false then all of a sudden they find it's true. No one said that about the bible (in terms of cities existing and peoples existing, just certain people and certain events).

The most efficient use of energy that we have discovered in the entire universe involves the principle of nuclear  fusion.  We see this method of energy governing and sustaining life on earth and holding the entire universe together. 

I don't think efficient is the correct term.  Fusion is the most common form of matter to energy conversion in the universe.  But the most efficient form of conversion is definitely matter-antimatter annihilation.  Second to that is quasar accretion.  I think fusion could land in the top 10 but it's not number one by a long shot.

Of course no one can dispute the fact that Egypt exists or the fact that man walked upon the moon., or that I had a really good friend named Marty while I was growing up.

As for detecting anything that comes from a non natural source in the electromagnetic spectrum is turning out to be a lot more difficult than what was thought. Every time we run into some sort of signature that looks almost for certain to be artificial turns out in the end not to be.