New seminary graduation requirements announced

pam

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865608817/Elevate-learning-taking-seminary-to-a-higher-level.html

New requirements for seminary graduation are meant to “elevate learning” and better prepare students for lives of service and discipleship. The changes are being implemented throughout the world beginning this school year with this year’s course of study — Doctrine and Covenants and Church History.

“It fits in line with Preach My Gospel, and it fits in line with the Come Follow Me curriculum,” said Wayne Davis, manager of communications for Seminaries and Institutes of Religion. “We are asking the youth to be more self-sufficient in their testimonies and their knowledge and in their ability to share that knowledge.

I'm excited about this. Seminary was tremendously helpful for me, but not so much for my husband, who studied and learned on his own. I think this will help a wider range of students and prepare them to go from seminary graduation to the mission field.Thumbs up! 

I read most of the article. Do you mean to tell me that previously, they studied a book of Scripture but didn't necessarily read it??? 

You do realize that we are talking about youth right?  They have always been told that they needed to and should read the book of Scripture being studied.  But there was no enforcement of that.  Students being what they are, some of them quickly focused on what was being enforced or tested and left the rest alone.  So yes that would be exactly what happened in some cases.

Now they are going to be tested on it... which means they will respond like students usually do to testing.

“We have always encouraged reading,” Brother Davis said. “It was encouraged, and we have stressed it, but it has never been one of the requirements to graduate. So this next year, they need to read Joseph Smith History and the entire Doctrine and Covenants to receive credit for graduation.”

In future news, we're re-evaluating this requirement for the Old Testatment.

Halfway through the year, instructors will give an assessment on the first half of the Doctrine and Covenants. If there are sections or segments or gaps in what the students have learned, a teacher has the opportunity to talk and go over the assessment with the students. Students may take the assessment again until they pass.

If I pass at the start of the year, can I test out? And is there still no mission scholarship for overachieving seminarians?

I know when my daughter went to Seminary, as long as she showed up for class she passed.

It was the same when I went to Seminary, so long as you show up you pass. (regardless of how much effort, or that you learn)

Needless to say I failed  :guilty: ...I still have trouble with early mornings...My fault of course . <_<

It was the same when I went to Seminary, so long as you show up you pass. (regardless of how much effort, or that you learn)

Needless to say I failed  :guilty: ...I still have trouble with early mornings...My fault of course . <_<

Well the one thing about seminary in Utah, it's part of the school day.  No 5:30 a.m. like it was when I went to seminary.

You teach Relief Society. How many adults come to class having read the source material?

I hear you, but maybe I had another view of Seminary. I thought it was like real classes, that mattered. Which means reading the material. I went to Catholic school for 12 years. We had religion class every year. We had to read stuff. We got tested. I thought Seminary was like the classes run by nuns who had no problem throwing an eraser across the room at you if you messed up. So when I see the kids getting their Seminary award at the end of the year, basically they're just getting it for showing up?

Maybe it's the professor in me, and yes, I know students may come to class without having done the reading, but I guess I expected something more. I will say that since the students may actually read the materials now, the classes may be more interesting for both teacher and student. It's hard to have a good class if no one has done the reading.

• 2 weeks later...