New movie "Meet the Mormons" coming out

pam

I went with my husband and FIL last night to see the movie/documentary and I have to say... I was disapointed. I think my expectations were way different than what I saw in the movie. I think it was a good movie, but I don't think it really depicted who we are.

It seems like most, if not all religions have good people that love their families and work hard. This movie showed that that is what we do too... but, not much different than others would do.

In the very beginning where they were asking questions and people were giving incorrect answers... I wish that part would have been expanded on so when the question was asked there would be a true answer. It's kinda what I thought I would see throughout the movie...but, didn't.

I do think they made the point that our Heavenly Father LOVES us where some religions fear God.

I did like the part of the candy bomber and the last part of the missionary. Those made the movie for me.

I love The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints very much. I believe in it completely!

I hope this movie/documentary touches a lot of people. But, for me... it was just okay.

...It seems like most, if not all religions have good people that love their families and work hard. This movie showed that that is what we do too... but, not much different than others would do....

I think that was supposed to be the point of the movie, especially if non-Mormons watch it. To show them that Mormons are just like them.

M.

Edited by Maureen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I watched Left Behind not knowing what it was about. Ugh...I mean, yeah, I get the message, but it could have been a powerful three minute commercial with a much better effect. 

Which one, the original or the Nicholas Cage one?  The original is far better story wise and covers more than the first chapter or so that the new one does.

Great comment, prisonchaplain.  Right on.

Why ludicrous?  Because I cannot imagine God yanking airline pilots up into the air and causing aircraft to crash, or drivers in cars to be yanked up into the air and causing vehicles to crash, or surgeons to be yanked up into the air while patients' skulls or chests are wide open.  I don't know where that imagery originated, but it's Ludicrous with a capital L in my book, even if you believe in a Great Translation that literally lifts believers into the air.  :)

I've been listening to and reading a lot of NT Wright these days, and I think his view on the Rapture (see link below) makes a lot of sense.  (By the way, Mormon Discussion Podcast just posted 4 lectures by NT Wright, and I found them utterly fascinating.  Highly recommended.)

http://ntwrightpage.com/Wright_BR_Farewell_Rapture.htm

When I was at bible college we would have heated discussions about the rapture and I came up with an ingenious reason why it hadn't happened yet, embarrassment!  God hadn't caused the rapture to happen yet to save embarrassing those who are raptured while on the loo!  I mean how embarrassed would you be if one minute your on the throne and in a blink of an eye your in the presence of God!  I know, tongue in cheek bit did bring a laugh and lightened the debate!  

It was about the same time that the Left Behind books came out that I was in bible college and I remember a lot of people devoured them, often reading them in one sitting!  I must admit they had me hooked!  Don't know where I stand theologically now about what they say about the end times, but it is a fascinating part of scripture to look into!

• 1 month later...

Well, 'Meet the Mormons' finally made it to the cinemas here in my part of Australia.  Like most people who posted in this thread so far, our Stake 'encouraged' us all to go and see it. Tickets were just $6, and the film was also advertised as a good 'family night' activity. They also dedicated last Sunday to a special fast day for members to pray about who we could invite to meet the missionaries. The plan goes something like this: Invite friends to "Meet the Mormons", fast and pray in the meantime, invite friends to meet the missionaries, bring said friends to view the General Conference videos in two weeks to hear from a living prophet.  There are also wards that are following up with local 'Meet the Mormons' firesides and open days at meetinghouses. 

I took my non-member husband to see it with our children.  He liked it, but he already knows that there are very nice Mormons out there, along with some not so nice ones. In fact, the documentary probably made us out to be way nicer than most of us actually are (speaking for myself here, really).

I was pleasantly surprised that the film didn't come across as being too saccharine in its portrayal of regular LDS, and I also appreciated the multi-cultural focus of the featured individuals and families. 

I really liked that the church donated the proceeds of the film to date - $1.8 million dollars - to the Red Cross. 

Edited by lagarthaaz

I think the movie did a great job at what it presented itself as. Meeting mormons. For a further in depth look at doctrine , to start I recommend finding a local lds chapel or contacting the missionaries :P

I'm on it, Crypto, I'm on it.

I think I'll skip the film, though.

I've seen Mormons before.  They are all over Utah, well, I have to presume that a lot of them are Mormons, as I haven't learned the Mormon sign yet, no one has showed me that yet.

Some have told me they are Mormons.  One lady was pointing at everyone and asking "Did you pay your tithe?, did you pay your tithe?"  Since they were all answering yes, I have to assume they were Mormons (I was already having nice conversation with them).

I know the Catholic sign.  Sign of the Cross. 

40 years ago I daily drove past the Los Angeles LDS Temple.  I was always compelled to make the sign of the cross as I drove past.

dc

I'm on it, Crypto, I'm on it.

I think I'll skip the film, though.

I've seen Mormons before.  They are all over Utah, well, I have to presume that a lot of them are Mormons, as I haven't learned the Mormon sign yet, no one has showed me that yet.

Some have told me they are Mormons.  One lady was pointing at everyone and asking "Did you pay your tithe?, did you pay your tithe?"  Since they were all answering yes, I have to assume they were Mormons (I was already having nice conversation with them).

I know the Catholic sign.  Sign of the Cross. 

40 years ago I daily drove past the Los Angeles LDS Temple.  I was always compelled to make the sign of the cross as I drove past.

dc

Mormons don't have a sign. That's why you haven't learned it yet.

Well no strictly formal signs like the sign of the cross. I would suggest that CTR rings, and more subtle actions such as dressing not to shock/scandal, abstaining from drugs and generally good behavior might very well be considered a sign.

Though as with all people this isn't always true.

Edited by Crypto

• 1 month later...

Just got Netflix and noticed this movie on it. (Only officially arrived in Aus about a month ago)

PC did you watch it and is it worth my time?

As for a Mormon sign, I have never meet a Mormon in my life (that I knew was a Mormon, outside the 2 misso's I arranged to get the BoM from) So I'm not sure what I'd be looking for, except that the blokes would be very likely wearing ties. Although in hot weather (say 40' C + ) having to ensure that your sacred clothing is covered might make Mormon's standout.

I'm largely evangelical , but have never  watched "Left Behind",  as I'm amillennial not premillennial.

Edited by AnthonyB

I'm largely evangelical , but have never  watched "Left Behind",  as I'm amillennial not premillennial.

By "amillennial" do you mean to say that you don't believe in a literal Millennium? What then are your beliefs about Jesus returning?

Or is that an age reference - intended to be "a millennial"?