Living the Gospel

Crypto

How do you live the Gospel in your daily lives?

Read the scriptures, pray, service etc... But really from family life, to your community, to repentance, how do you put these things into practice?

What are some of the specifics you do? How does this make the lives around you better? Does it change your life?

When and how do these things help you become converted unto Christ? When did you feel it yourself? Do you ever feel that sometimes you lose a sense of perspective and balance and need to reorient yourselves?

We each have life's roads to travel and I think sharing a bits of wisdom from our travels would be an uplifting thing. Right now I'm not sure how I put these things into practice, and I think I could particularly do better in my family life and repentance.

In the community, taking part in community service is great! From helping with events, parades, festivals, fund raising for schools, serving on school boards, musical performances, volunteering for scouting events, gasp! jury duty.

I personally love these types of things, and the connections I form. One of the more recent things I have done was volunteer at a scout camp for a day. It was an absolute joy, of course it was also hard work. I think the common goals shared and then the hard work helps bring people together in a way that wouldn't happen otherwise. There is value in both sides I think, having fun in an event and bringing an event to others!

What do you think?

I guess for me I just try and be a bit better of a person. Not be so angry all the time and not say how much I hate things (I became very well known for my just general hatred of most everything in the MTG circles).

I'm able to debate more and talk to people without blowing a gasket and I feel I am at least a bit easier to get along with.

I read the scriptures a little everyday now and pray when it feels natural.

I feel a daily struggle to keep hold of perspective and balance within myself, and the Book of Mormon is always there to give me something, weither it is a nice verse to ponder, an idea for a painting or some such art, or just something enjoyable to read, even if I lash out at it.

I really like a particular inscription in a video at the north visitor's center at Temple Square called God's Plan For Families. The inscription says something to the effect of: A successful family is one built on a foundation of Christ. So, I try to follow Christ's example of love, service, and raising my family on His principles.

I also try to live the gospel as a counselor. I practice a type of therapy that enables me to follow Christ's example of love and compassion in a way that serves as a catalyst for healing.

These are the two areas I focus on the most.

This is a real issue for me. I go about a confirmed atheist for most of my life, discover to my great chagrin that I am totally wrong about that, there is a God, Jesus was real, the meaning of life is Love, and there is a place to go when we die. So, what to do next? I'm not the praying, preaching, churchgoing, psalm singing type; for me, what counts is making the world a better, safer, fairer, more lovely (there's that word again), happier place. But that's a big job, and I haven't yet found a niche that satisfies my instinct to contribute in some way.

Suggestions welcome.

Best wishes, 2RM

So, what to do next? [F]or me, what counts is making the world a better, safer, fairer, more lovely (there's that word again)...Suggestions welcome.

Well, I think you're on the right track. We can always do service, bring Christ-like love and compassion to others, and help out when we are needed/able to. That is the true purpose of religion anyway: fellowship; fellowship with service and other attributes of Christ. Without that, we are nothing. "If ye are not one, ye are not mine."

Hey! I think trying to make the world a better place, and trying to improve of yourselves is a great way to go about life. Getting stuck on checking off things on a list I feel would make living impossibly hard, and take away from the spirit of it all. It's good to hear ideas though!

I've found personally, extreme cynicism, and anger, to cause my own life to be down trodden. I try and avoid it as well.

I'm not too fond of church services myself, but It is effective at helping me keep in mind good principals to live by.

My entire life I consider a prayer, an offering, to God.  I am a SAHM, and although that can be difficult at times, I'm thankful for the opportunity to care for my family and do what God has asked me to do.  So even as I'm packing school lunches, pulling weeds, scrubbing smashed in food out of the tile grout, or doing laundry, I make it a prayer. 

My husband and I teach our kids about our faith, and we pray, as a family every day.  We also take any opportunity presented to us, to do good for our neighbors, friends and family, no matter the religious affiliation.  We keep our arms open wide for everyone :) 

My entire life I consider a prayer, an offering, to God.  I am a SAHM, and although that can be difficult at times, I'm thankful for the opportunity to care for my family and do what God has asked me to do.  So even as I'm packing school lunches, pulling weeds, scrubbing smashed in food out of the tile grout, or doing laundry, I make it a prayer. 

My husband and I teach our kids about our faith, and we pray, as a family every day.  We also take any opportunity presented to us, to do good for our neighbors, friends and family, no matter the religious affiliation.  We keep our arms open wide for everyone :)

I think one of the tougher tests of this world is to distinguish good from better.  It is a little more straight forward when we describe good from evil.

In the same light I think it is sometimes hard to describe those that will end up in the Terrestrial Kingdom from those that end up in the Celestial Kingdom as it is a degree of good to better we are talking about. As explained in D&C; "

72 Behold, these are they who died without law;

73 And also they who are the spirits of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited, and preached the gospel unto them, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh;

74 Who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh, but afterwards received it.

75 These are they who are honorable men of the earth, who were blinded by the craftiness of men.

76 These are they who receive of his glory, but not of his fulness.

77 These are they who receive of the presence of the Son, but not of the fulness of the Father.

78 Wherefore, they are bodies terrestrial, and not bodies celestial, and differ in glory as the moon differs from the sun.

79 These are they who are not valiant in the testimony of Jesus; wherefore, they obtain not the crown over the kingdom of our God."

Receiving of his glory is not everything, it is good but not better.  It is better to receive the law, and to be valiant in the testimony of Jesus, meaning being true to the testimony with all of one's heart might mind and strength.  Terrestrial beings are not bad or evil but being good isn't always the best.  They receive the presence of the Son but not the fullness of the Father.

How do you live the Gospel in your daily lives?

My husband and I teach our kids about our faith, and we pray, as a family every day.  We also take any opportunity presented to us, to do good for our neighbors, friends and family, no matter the religious affiliation.  We keep our arms open wide for everyone  :)

I think one of the tougher tests of this world is to distinguish good from better.  It is a little more straight forward when we describe good from evil.

In the same light I think it is sometimes hard to describe those that will end up in the Terrestrial Kingdom from those that end up in the Celestial Kingdom as it is a degree of good to better we are talking about. As explained in D&C; "

72 Behold, these are they who died without law;

73 And also they who are the spirits of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited, and preached the gospel unto them, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh;

74 Who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh, but afterwards received it.

75 These are they who are honorable men of the earth, who were blinded by the craftiness of men.

76 These are they who receive of his glory, but not of his fulness.

77 These are they who receive of the presence of the Son, but not of the fulness of the Father.

78 Wherefore, they are bodies terrestrial, and not bodies celestial, and differ in glory as the moon differs from the sun.

79 These are they who are not valiant in the testimony of Jesus; wherefore, they obtain not the crown over the kingdom of our God."

Receiving of his glory is not everything, it is good but not better.  It is better to receive the law, and to be valiant in the testimony of Jesus, meaning being true to the testimony with all of one's heart might mind and strength.  Terrestrial beings are not bad or evil but being good isn't always the best.  They receive the presence of the Son but not the fullness of the Father.

Hi Seminarysnoozer, I'm at a loss on how your post fits in with the OP and the post you quoted? Could you clarify?

M.

Hi Seminarysnoozer, I'm at a loss on how your post fits in with the OP and the post you quoted? Could you clarify?

M.

Sure, one of the blinding tools of Satan is to cause good people to say "all is well", I have done enough, 'I have been good, is that not enough?'

Here is what "living the gospel" means from Jesus' words in Mark 10; "

17 ¶And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions."

The cutting line between those that live the gospel is not determined by whether someone is "good" or "bad".  This young man was not a bad person, he followed the commandments but he lacked something, he lacked giving up his lifestyle, in this case riches, and leaving the comforts of where he was at in life to follow Christ.  One could be a follower of the commandments without following Christ (living the gospel). This young man is an example of such a thing as well as all those that make it into the Terrestrial Kingdom, they are "honerable men of the world".

...The cutting line between those that live the gospel is not determined by whether someone is "good" or "bad".  This young man was not a bad person, he followed the commandments but he lacked something, he lacked giving up his lifestyle, in this case riches, and leaving the comforts of where he was at in life to follow Christ.  One could be a follower of the commandments without following Christ (living the gospel). This young man is an example of such a thing as well as all those that make it into the Terrestrial Kingdom, they are "honerable men of the world".

So, do you equate living the Gospel with following the LDS church?

A person can do good things but if they are not doing good things under the umbrella of the LDS church they are not actually living the Gospel via their good works?

Is that what you're saying?

M.

Edited by Maureen

So, do you equate living the Gospel with following the LDS church?

A person can do good things but if they are not doing good things under the umbrella of the LDS church they are not actually living the Gospel via their good works?

Is that what you're saying?

M.

Yes I equate it with following the chosen leaders of the living Church of Christ that have the power and authority from Christ.

Edited by Seminarysnoozer

Yes I equate it with following the chosen leaders of the living Church of Christ that have the power and authority from Christ.

I already do.  I follow the Church established by Christ Himself, and I have faith in the Church b/c I was guided to it by the Holy Spirit, and I have chosen to offer up my whole life in accordance with Gods Holy Will.  I choose to be ONE with Christ as He is ONE with the Father.  If I were to deny what He has spoken to me, and what the Holy Spirit has witnessed to me, throughout my life, then I would be denying Christ and would not be living according to His Will. 

I have no attitude either, that "all is well", or "I have been good, is that enough?".  I offer up my life, and all the blessings He has given me, in constant service, to my family, neighbors, friends, and strangers.  There is never enough that I can do to say thank you to Jesus for what He has done for me, the Graces He has bestowed on me.  The best I can do is to offer my life up as a continous prayer, praying everyday for the strength to live the virtues of justice, courage, temperance, faith, hope and love.  And althougth I am constantly falling short of these things, I know Jesus loves me, He has told me, and there is nothing, nothing, in this world that can compare to the love God has for each of us.  It is immense, immeasurable and completely beyond human description.  He is my hope.  He is my life.      

And, I'm very confident in saying, you are not God.  Please do not presume to judge me and describe which "heaven" I will be going to.  I believe in ONE heaven as I believe in ONE God. 

Now perhaps, we can continue with the original OP instead of judging whether or not what I do to live the gospel is good enough for ya'll. 

Edited by faith4

I already do.  I follow the Church established by Christ Himself, and I have faith in the Church b/c I was guided to it by the Holy Spirit, and I have chosen to offer up my whole life in accordance with Gods Holy Will.  I choose to be ONE with Christ as He is ONE with the Father.  If I were to deny what He has spoken to me, and what the Holy Spirit has witnessed to me, throughout my life, then I would be denying Christ and would not be living according to His Will. 

I have no attitude either, that "all is well", or "I have been good, is that enough?".  I offer up my life, and all the blessings He has given me, in constant service, to my family, neighbors, friends, and strangers.  There is never enough that I can do to say thank you to Jesus for what He has done for me, the Graces He has bestowed on me.  The best I can do is to offer my life up as a continous prayer, praying everyday for the strength to live the virtues of justice, courage, temperance, faith, hope and love.  And althougth I am constantly falling short of these things, I know Jesus loves me, He has told me, and there is nothing, nothing, in this world that can compare to the love God has for each of us.  It is immense, immeasurable and completely beyond human description.  He is my hope.  He is my life.      

And, I'm very confident in saying, you are not God.  Please do not presume to judge me and describe which "heaven" I will be going to.  I believe in ONE heaven as I believe in ONE God. 

Now perhaps, we can continue with the original OP instead of judging whether or not what I do to live the gospel is good enough for ya'll. 

I have been addressing the OP.  The leaders of Christ Church, the one He established originally and restored again in the latter days gives us specific ways to live the gospel in our lives all the time.  We have conferences, manuals, magazines, etc. to guide what to do to live the gospel. They are inspired to direct us in an ever changing world with new challenges and temptations all the time.  The temptations my children face are different and even stronger than the ones I faced in my youth. Christ directs His church through living Prophets to guide us for our day as He has always done when His church is established.

God is the judge, I have never said anything about judge ... not sure where you are getting that from.

I would point out, though, in your post you say "I already do" and then in the next paragraph say that you don't have the attitude that you already do.   I think that was my point.  ... 

Doing everything includes taking on the covenants He has outlined, given by those that have authority and living up to those covenants. That isn't a judgement of those that haven't taken those covenants as bad, they can be good but haven't really lived the gospel fully.  Our religion, if anything, claims that most everyone will receive a Kingdom of Glory, go to heaven  .... thus the tougher choices are those between good, better, and best. In other words, LDS would have a hard time judging someone as bad, its not really on the spectrum of known outcomes.

I have been addressing the OP.  The leaders of Christ Church, the one He established originally and restored again in the latter days gives us specific ways to live the gospel in our lives all the time.  We have conferences, manuals, magazines, etc. to guide what to do to live the gospel. They are inspired to direct us in an ever changing world with new challenges and temptations all the time.  The temptations my children face are different and even stronger than the ones I faced in my youth. Christ directs His church through living Prophets to guide us for our day as He has always done when His church is established.

God is the judge, I have never said anything about judge ... not sure where you are getting that from.

I would point out, though, in your post you say "I already do" and then in the next paragraph say that you don't have the attitude that you already do.   I think that was my point.  ... 

Doing everything includes taking on the covenants He has outlined, given by those that have authority and living up to those covenants. That isn't a judgement of those that haven't taken those covenants as bad, they can be good but haven't really lived the gospel fully.  Our religion, if anything, claims that most everyone will receive a Kingdom of Glory, go to heaven  .... thus the tougher choices are those between good, better, and best. In other words, LDS would have a hard time judging someone as bad, its not really on the spectrum of known outcomes.

:)  I think you misunderstood me.  I do follow Gods Will for me in my life, and I do NOT have the attitude that "I have been good, is that enough?".  I was simply quoting you, and remarking that that is not how I live my life, nor is it how I view my life.  Throughout the rest of that paragraph, I was trying to say that nothing I can do will ever be enough, I have to give my whole self at all times, and yet, with my humanity, I will always fall short.  But it doesn't stop me from doing my best every day to live a virtuous and hardworking life, devoted entirely to God in service to all around me, and done with genuine love.   

We also have magazines (I subscribe to two magazines, another we get as part of my hubby being a member of the Knights of Columbus, and we also receive our Diocesan Catholic Newspaper every month), I attend conferences (in which I have one I am very excited about this month on the 20th) , and we also have plenty of encylicals and teachings which can be found online, in a bookstore, and/or heard on the radio or tv.  All of which I, and my husband, participate in.  And all of these things do the same things you explain yours to do.  :)  The New Covenant I also keep, by partaking of the Holy Eucharist in Mass, the wedding feast of the Lamb.  In my Church, my husband and I are highly active and were named "Family of the Year" in our Parish in 2012, among approximately 2,500 registered families.  I guess I could say that we are also active in the ward we would've been assigned to, if we were LDS, by contributing to all holiday charities the ward fundraises for, with money and food; and by being strong members of our neighborhood community. 

I guess what I'm saying is, I am living the Gospel as best as I can.  And for me, I have a testimony of my faith which drives me and sustains me everyday in my work.  I live what is expected of me, by those I believe, and know, to have the true authority.  Now, obviously, on this forum, you and most everyone else, believe that the true authority resides in your church.  I'm not trying to argue with you about this, the OP, IMHO, was a challenge to forum members to consider how we choose to live our lives in accordance with the Gospel.  I merely answered that question from my own POV, and in line with my own faith.        

I guess what I'm saying is, I am living the Gospel as best as I can.  And for me, I have a testimony of my faith which drives me and sustains me everyday in my work.  I live what is expected of me, by those I believe, and know, to have the true authority.  Now, obviously, on this forum, you and most everyone else, believe that the true authority resides in your church.  I'm not trying to argue with you about this, the OP, IMHO, was a challenge to forum members to consider how we choose to live our lives in accordance with the Gospel.  I merely answered that question from my own POV, and in line with my own faith.        

LDS do not separate the gospel from authority.  One cannot live the gospel outside of the authority.  Yes they can do the best they can and of course God takes into consideration what is available and what is possible to make His judgement.  If the true authority resides on Earth at this time and is accessable then it is going to be hard to explain in the end, 'I did the best I could, I did what I believed was right.' 

What I described was not my judgement but what is explained for us in terms of the differences between the Celestial Kingdom and those that find their self in the Terrestrial Kingdom after judgement.   This is what our scripture says (not me! so dont blame it on me, please!)  D&C 76; "75 These are they who are honorable men of the earth, who were blinded by the craftiness of men.76 These are they who receive of his glory, but not of his fulness.

77 These are they who receive of the presence of the Son, but not of the fulness of the Father."

What you are having a hard time seeing past is the difference between "receiving the presence of the Son, but not the fulness of the Father."  "These are they who receive of his glory, but not of his fulness."   The "craftiness of men" can be the teaching that one is doing enough in their current religion and then they don't look for the fulness not realizing there is something more.  You have said clearly that you have received of his glory and receive the presence of the Son but to live the gospel means to not only do that but also the fulnes of the Father.   If you don't believe me then try it, come and partake but if you think you have enough teaching and guidance and instruction from God (even if you always have more to do) then you will not learn of the assistance that comes from receivng the fulness of His covenants done in authority that are eternal and not just for this life only.

If an LDS member thinks they could make a covenant with God such as with the Sacrament or baptism or receiving of the Holy Ghost through another authority other than the Holy Priesthood, then they are not living the gospel. We are unified in that ideal, this is not just my opinion of how to live the gospel.  The articles of faith describes how to live the gospel, the 4th and 5th in particular;"  We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof."   ... cant live the gospel principles without the authority.

...What you are having a hard time seeing past is the difference between "receiving the presence of the Son, but not the fulness of the Father."...  

Seminarysnoozer, what you seem to be having trouble with is the OP.

The question was NOT, how do you live the gospel (as defined by Seminarysnoozer) in your daily lives?

The gospel is basically the "good news" of salvation given to us by Christ. Mankind through faith, has wonderful hope of living with God for eternity. How does that "hope" help you live your life? What joy does that bring you, that you can pass on to others?

Your posts make it sound like you feel non-LDS should not be contributing to this thread.

M. 

For myself we pray before our meals and we also pray together as husband and wife morning and night as well as personal prayers. We do study and read scriptures together each night. We attend church each week and my wife goes on Wednesday nights as she is part of Young Women's. We are quite happy and try to do our part.

Seminarysnoozer, what you seem to be having trouble with is the OP.

The question was NOT, how do you live the gospel (as defined by Seminarysnoozer) in your daily lives?

The gospel is basically the "good news" of salvation given to us by Christ. Mankind through faith, has wonderful hope of living with God for eternity. How does that "hope" help you live your life? What joy does that bring you, that you can pass on to others?

Your posts make it sound like you feel non-LDS should not be contributing to this thread.

M. 

That is your emotional reaction to my posts.  I made a post in reaction to the OP and then you started to pick apart my post trying to find motive behind it.  It was not the other way around.  I did not make a post to make others not post. I gave my opinion (that is what this forum is about and the OP) which is what the OP was asking.  You expected me to post something other than that defined by me with a question about how "you live the gospel"?  You expected me to post something about how other people live the gospel?  I don't understand your desire to find motive behind why I post the way I do.  If you disagree with me, fine, that happens all the time.  Please go ahead and disagree with me, that is what the forum is about.  Post your beliefs.  Tell me why I am wrong.  I am okay with that.  I am open to learning and growing.

My belief is that the full "gospel" is contained within the church.  That is what I have been taught.  If I am wrong, I do not know it despite my many prayers over many decades of life in search for truth.  This does not mean that other religions could have parts and pieces of the truth and parts of the gospel.  To live the gospel to me, means to live it fully.  If you think one can live the gospel partially then go ahead and post that, you don't have to pick appart my motives to do that.  If you believe the LDS church is not the gospel or does not encompass all of the gospel then go ahead and post that, I am not stopping you.  I am not a moderator.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

For me, this spells out the gospel very succinctly. God does not just love a certain group of 15 million people that live in the world, he loves the whole world. Jesus died while the world was filled with sinners. He died for those very sinners, the sinners that existed before and the sinners of the future. The gospel is for the past, present and future.  

I also believe in the "golden rule" and that is how I live the gospel.

M. 

We believe that all that are here believed in Christ plan before coming here and thus passed the first estate test.  All here freely obtain everlasting life from Christ' atonement. They will all go onto resurrection because they believed in Him and had faith in His plan.  Now, we face the test of doing what we said we would before this life, to do the things that are asked of us, in faith.

All here will receive a degree of glory because of their faith in the plan exhibited by even being here in the first place.  Those that did not believe in Christ' and God's plan are not born here in this life.

The plan of happiness (also known as the plan of salvation) is more happy and glorious than most people realize, it allows for a merciful and loving God to reward His children with everlasting life because they believed and had faith in His plan. 

Christ stated, forgive them for they know not what they do.  How could fogiveness be given if they don't believe in this life and don't know what they are doing?  Because they already passed the first estate test. 

The idea of only saving those "15 million" who demonstrate faith in this life is certainly not a belief of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  That must be based in some other understanding.

...The idea of only saving those "15 million" who demonstrate faith in this life is certainly not a belief of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  That must be based in some other understanding.

My mention of 15 million was to do with who has access to the gospel and not about "saving" per se. If the gospel is for everyone (the world) then anyone can "live the gospel", even those who are not LDS. But you disagree with that Seminarysnoozer. How do you define "the gospel"?

M.

My mention of 15 million was to do with who has access to the gospel and not about "saving" per se. If the gospel is for everyone (the world) then anyone can "live the gospel", even those who are not LDS. But you disagree with that Seminarysnoozer. How do you define "the gospel"?

M.

Good question, thanks.  This will have to be defined in summary of course because to describe every aspect of the gospel is way too much for me to do. It is defined in detail amongst the standard works of scripture available to us through modern revelation.

The gospel is our Heavenly Father's plan to achieve the most happiness possible, eternally.  In its fulness, the gospel includes all the doctrines, principles, laws, ordinances, and covenants necessary for us to be exalted in the celestial kingdom. The Savior has promised that if we endure to the end, faithfully living the gospel, He will hold us guiltless before the Father at the Final Judgment.  The gospel was restored to its fullness by Joseph Smith in our day.  All people around the world have access to it for the most part (there are pockets that may not) and all will have an opportunity to accept or reject it in the spirit world if not here. The Prophet Joseph Smith said, “The first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost”